PDA

View Full Version : cable routing - firebird

Ishmael
07-06-2010, 05:35 AM
I tried to search this one but with no luck. Where should I route my amplifier battery cable through to get back to the amp in the trunk? One thought was the firewall - but where? or through the frame and into the trunk floor but I'm not sure on this either. Any thoughts?

CarlC
07-06-2010, 06:52 AM
If the battery is in the trunk get the power from there. If the battery is in the engine compartment I suggest routing a line through the factory firewall fuse-block junction/bulkhead and route aft from there. Follow the factory routing of the tailight harness.

New connectors for the bulkhead can be found at Del City and a variety of other sources.

Ishmael
07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I checked Del City and couldn't find what you were talking about. Its a pretty thick cable. Are you sure it can go through the fuse block? Could you give me a link to what you mean?
thanks
Scott

CarlC
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
How thick is thick?

You need the male and female ends that go on the wires that pass through the firewall bulkhead connector. #10 is about a large as you can go.

If memory serves they are the Type 56 series. http://www.pcsconnectors.com/delphi_terminals.aspx?page=2

shep
07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Find a hole or make one that the wire will go through. Use a grommet and seal the hole with silicone. I assume you are using 8Ga or larger. It might fit under the sill plate but you risk pinching it and shorting it out. I would run it under the carpet down the passenger side of the trans tunnel.

Ishmael
07-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Carl, that would be a great solution if the amp cable was small enough. I wonder if there is some sort of clean connector that could be mounted on the firewall for a nice appearance. Not that my firewall is clean.
Brad, thanks. I was afraid that was going to have to be the solution. At least its easy.
thanks again guys,
Scott

Joker69Camaro
07-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Good firewall bushing for up to 1/0 are available from parts express. I use these all the time.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=firewall%20bushing

Hope this helps.

Jeff K

CarlC
07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
What is the amperage requirement(s) for the amp(s)?

67 455 Bird ragtop
07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Run it from the battery through the front subframe then through the rear frame rails. You should be able to drill through the rear rails and into the trunk. Add a cpl of cable holder for in between the rails near the pinch weld so the cable doesn't drag between the rails. Just put a grommet anywhere it passes through metal so it doesn't chafe the cable.

Or just drill a hole in the firewall as previously suggested and use something like this as a grommet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SIT-GS1003-8/

Josh69
07-09-2010, 07:45 AM
I've got all my cables running down the passenger side under the tin covers in the sill channel. Plenty of room, I am not worried about chaffing, it's a direct shot and it's not going to rub against anything. Drill a hole with a unibit under the heater core and use a grommet or bulkhead. I used a bulkhead from DSE for my main battery cable, my battery is in the trunk. I pull the amp power right from the battery, but you should have room either way. The tin plates protect it for most of the run through the car. The tricky part is running it up behind the rear quarter trim into the trunk. I have a folding rear seat so I wasn't able to cleanly run it under the side or up the side of the seat..so I had to go behind the quarter trim. That is where it could chaffe. I used plastic loom to help protect it and made sure there were no areas where any cable or wire was tight against a sharp object.

Ishmael
07-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I think that's the way to go since I have a convertibe it should be no trouble. I'll check into the bulkhead from DSE and now might be the time to relocate the battery anyway.