PDA

View Full Version : SPC Tubular Lowers + SC&C Stage 2 Woes

cornfed
07-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Need a sanity check, please.

G-body SC&C Stage 2 tall ball joint falls, literally, out of SPC lower arm. All parts are brand spankin' new. The arms were shipped with ball joints. The local machine shop removed the other and pressed in the new tall ball joints. When I picked up the parts, the guy said they went in waaay to easy and expressed his concern about it being right.

What could I be overlooking? Anybody else ever run in to this problem? The other ball joints were knerled at the mating surface but I don't think the tall ball joints are. Trouble is definitely afoot in tolerance town. grr.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.......

1badchevelle
07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Have you called SPC? I am sure Marcus can and will help you out.

dhutton
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
This has come up before. They need to be tack welded in. The holes are ovesize for replacement ball joints which are slightly larger. The tall balljoints are not, they are stock diameter.

cornfed
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks. That's a good explanation.

Should they be tacked on the bottom side in 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions?

dhutton
07-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks. That's a good explanation.

Should they be tacked on the bottom side in 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions?

Not sure but I was going to just put the tacks on the balljoints only to hold them in since the weight of the car holds them in normally. That way I don't have to weld on my control arms.

cornfed
07-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll let this ride. Maybe a veteran will chime in and share their experience. If not I'll clean up, grab a barley pop, and exercise the search button. I was hoping to knock out the front suspension today so I could reattach my front clip.

In the meantime, I've stripped the rear suspension from the car. After dinner I'll begin installing the new bits. Tomorrow's project is finish the rear suspension and then begin installing the rear disc system. I probably should start a project thread. . . .

dhutton
07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Here you go:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40280

cornfed
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
You are my favorite Pt.com member. :thankyou:

CRead01
07-03-2010, 07:09 PM
my first thought was to check the taper but upon reading I realized you meant the other end.

paul67
07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Being as this issue has been going on for 2yrs what would it take to put a small note in the box advising the buyer to weld the ball joint in if loose instead of finding out after putting it in.As this job is a pain the back side to do.

cornfed
07-08-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm certain Marcus told me this detail and I simply forgot it. Why this detail isn't in the instruction set- I don't know. Either way, the LBJ's are stitched and the front suspension is assembled except for swaybar, alignment, and shocks.

Thanks again for the holiday weekend help. Front clip isn't on, but hopefully after this weekend it will be.