PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or copper crush washer which to use?

LowBuckX
07-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Converting all flex lines to -3 braided front is simple and comes in a kit from Russel along with rear to axle (3pcs) now from axle to caliper I bought line with 90* fitting on caliper end and fitting to convert banjo to staight -3 AN.

Heres the question. I have both Aluminum and copper crush washers on hand which is the better choice for brakes?

BonzoHansen
07-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I only know this, I think I've always seen OEs using copper for brakes an aluminum for oil pan drains. So I'm going with copper as I assume there is a reason why OE does it.

Apogee
07-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Most copper washers that I've used have typically requires less force to crush and therefore seal versus similar aluminum washers, however either should work fine for you. I've seen variations in copper washers in terms of maleability/softness and have always assumed that it was just a alloy or processing difference between the various manufacturers. Softer the better in my experience so long as they don't gall upon installation. I would take a scribe, razor knife, etc and see which washers were softer and use those.

Tobin
KORE3

a67
07-05-2010, 12:13 PM
The best part about copper washers is that it is easy to re-soften them. Over time in use they work harden. Which then makes it difficult to get a good seal. To make them soft again:

Heat the washer to a dull red and drop it in some cold water. Bam, soft as putty.

Can use a piece of wire to hold them in a low flame such as a gas stove or a plumbers propane torch. Then into the water. Takes but a moment. Remember, low flame to a dull red, don't won't to melt them, then right into the water.

Bob.

gort69
07-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Good tip Bob. Thanks.