PDA

View Full Version : electric speedo and tko 600

kman67rsss
08-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Ive got the tko 600 and an autometer electric speedo, i have the sending unit, but need to know what else is needed. thanks

dennis68
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
That should eb it, the Tremec should have come with a speedo gear correct? Just plug in the sending unit and hook up the speedo. This is the speedo that can be calibrated by driving a known road distance correct?

Hurst - Jeff
08-27-2004, 03:49 PM
You do not need your Autometer sending unit - the TKO comes with an electric sending unit already built into the tranny and it will work with your electric Autometer speedo. It is located on the passenger side of the trans case. You will need to get a pig tail plug in (with two wires) that plugs into the TKO's electric sending unit. You then connect your purple and yellow Autometer speedometer wires to the pigtail wires and you are set. Read this write up for more information and a picture of the plug in connector:
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/tremec_transmission_1970_camaro_wu.htm.

You will also need to plug off the hole that is used for the mechanical speedometer adapter (drivers side - comes with a temporary rubber plug).
You need to remove the temporary rubber plug and replace it with a permanent plug. You can find this plug at a Ford dealer (part #FZUZ-7H183-A). This plug secures in place using a 1/4" X 20 X 12, coarse thread screw.

We have all of these parts in a convenient kit: http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/tremec_transmission_parts_and_pricing.htm.

I hope this helps.

kman67rsss
08-27-2004, 05:39 PM
so with the built in sending unit there is no need for the gear? i alredy have the autometer sending unit so would it be just as easy to use that?

Hurst - Jeff
08-27-2004, 06:22 PM
kman67rsss-
Correct - with the built in sending unit you do not need the gear. I would try to return the sending unit and the mechanical speedo adapter before you use them and just go with the electric sending unit on the TKO - Tremec added it for this exact reason.
Nevertheless, either way will work. I just think it's cleaner without using the mechanical adapter with the autometer mounted to the adapter.
Call with questions.

kman67rsss
08-28-2004, 04:01 AM
yea, the more im thinking about it the more i like that idea. it just pisses me off that the people i got it from didnt mention this earlier when i ordered it.