PDA

View Full Version : Mustang II power rack and pinion..

Steve1968LS2
05-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey there..

The 68 has a fatman sub with a MII power rack and pinion.. thing leaks like a pig from the high pressure inlet fitting. Car is running a regular Sagina pump..

My understanding is that the GM pump puts out too much pressure for a MII rack and that you need some sort of restrictor valve.. is that right? Also, could that be causing the leak? I also heard that it is important to have the right o-ring for the MII or it will leak..

The guy that sold it to me said they could never stop it from leaking so they gave up.. :slap: -- I don't like leaky cars since they are a danger on the track..

Advice? (besides dumping the MII set-up, this is for now deal and eventually that just may happen)..

Thanks

ZZ430
05-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Steve, I've got the same setup on my 67 with the Martz sub.

I bought a control valve from a steet rod supplier that is shimmed for more "feel" when using the Saginaw pump with the Ford rack, but I never installed it. I am happy with the stock (69 Camaro) pump.

As far as the leak goes, the nylon "O" ring that goes into the rack in critical, and can not be overtightened, or it will distort. The hose will rotate when tight, but that's the way Ford designed it.

I just bought new Ford and GM PS pressure hoses and spliced them together by cutting and brazing. No leaks after 5 years of driving. The nylon "O" rings are available separately from the Ford dealer.

Good luck

Steve1968LS2
05-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Cool.. thanks..

DSE sells the pressure reducer since running the 3k of pump on the 2k mustang systems is supposed to make it twitchy and such..

I will hit up Ford for a nylon O ring.. ive heard that using the wrong type will cause leaks..

bnickel
05-08-2005, 04:35 PM
IIRC correctly, ny 78 mustang II had a saginaw pump, so you should be fine with. mine may have had an orifice restrictor or something

David Pozzi
05-08-2005, 04:36 PM
They may have screwed the wrong type fitting into the rack and damaged the seat!

rickk
05-08-2005, 05:10 PM
i am running martz chassis ft with a ft runner pully system . and i got the ps pump from kile tucker at ds. it all works well .

rick kirkindall

BRIAN
05-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Call Unisteer, they are great guys and full of knowledge. I had problem with turn radius and they are the only ones that said they could shorten no problem. They never come up short without an answer. They can make or modify anything steering related. You should know this though, isn't your car in there ad?? By the way I took the PS set up out of my Rambler and used manual and it really isn't that big of a deal at slow speeds. Your Camaro probably has about the same nose weight to it. A lot easier than a manual box. Good luck.