PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery

68 SuperRam
06-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Which yellow top batteries do people use for a 68 Camaro - notice that Optima offers a few - any mounting concerns depending upon one selected?

OptimaJim
06-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi 68 SuperRam,

We do offer several different batteries for your application. If you are leaving it in the stock location, just find the best fit that meets or exceeds your engine's cranking needs. You can find all the specs and dimensions of our batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/

If you are re-locating the battery to an enclosed space, either inside your passenger compartment or trunk, we strongly recommend venting the battery to the outside. Our group 27, 31, 51, and 78 batteries all offer provisions for venting. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I appreciate your interest in Optima batteries!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries (http://www.facebook.com/optimabatteries)

thedugan
06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Hmm not to hijack the thread.

I have mine in my trunk. Guess i better vent it

David Pozzi
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I've driven 3 or 4 cars with an Optima Battery in the trunk, none were vented outside and I had no smell due to venting. My understanding is, the battery will not vent unless overcharged or there is some kind of abnormal problem.

I haven't seen any way to vent a D34/78? I see some have the vent tube nipple, some don't.
David

class67
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Mine is in the trunk as well, unvented.....no problem to report.

JRouche
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I have mine in the trunk also and its not vented, other then all the gaps that I might have LOL. Thats the reason I bought the optima batt because I was under the impression it could be used in an un-vented enclosure under normal operating conditions.

To see optima say it should be vented when in the trunk makes me wonder now? Dunno. I bought it back in the late 90s and there wasn't any concern about venting when placed in the trunk (or even a tighter enclosure) back then. Wonder if there are some new concerns from them? Some issues that presented themselves since then? JR

Vegas69
06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh boy...

monza
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh boy...

Just don't put your chicken dinner in the trunk...

Vegas69
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
That's actually good news Dave. Now I can cook my TV dinner and race at the Optima Challenge at the same time. :postpics:

class67
07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/PICT0143-1.jpg

OptimaJim
07-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I mention the venting provisions, because it is the technically correct way to install a battery (YellowTop D34/78 batteries do not have vent tube provisions). David is correct- under normal operating conditions an AGM battery will not vent gas. However, all lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used.

Although people do it anyway, we cannot recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there’s a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario.

Jim McIlvaine

CarlC
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Jim,

Thanks for coming over to our little corner of the internet. Your input is much appreciated.

Since we're on the subject of Optima batteries, of which the vast majority of us have in our cars, can you please comment on the proper care and feeding of them?

OptimaJim
07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Sure Carl! What I will mention is generally applicable to all batteries, so even if someone isn't running an Optima, these tips might help them. If you only remember one thing about battery maintenance, remember 12.4 volts. If you can keep your battery voltage at or above 12.4 volts, it will help extend the life of your battery.

If your battery gets discharged below that level or needs a jump, it's a good idea to fully-charge it with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Relying on an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails.

If your vehicle is not a daily driver, regular use of a battery tender or maintainer is a great idea. If your vehicle is stored somewhere without electrical access, leaving the battery fully-charged (12.6-12.8 volts for RedTops and 13.0-13.2 for YellowTops) and disconnected is also a viable option. If you know your car is going to sit for several months, removing the battery and connecting it to a maintainer somewhere else is also a good idea.

We have an entire YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/optimabatteries) with all kinds of informative videos on battery selection, maintenance and diagnostics. One of my favorite videos explains how to check the "key-off" load of a vehicle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPlx4MBNRU

High key-off loads (parasitic draws) are a common source of battery issues, regardless of brand. Many newer ZO6s are known to totally discharge a battery within a matter of weeks and some manufacturers are now even including battery maintainers with new vehicle purchases. If your key-off load exceeds 100 milliamps, you should probably review your electrical system and grounds.

If you guys have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I appreciate your interest in Optima batteries!

Jim McIlvaine

JRouche
07-02-2010, 09:20 PM
And I just gotta add one thing. I have had many batteries. I usually ended up with Die Hards, just had good luck with them. Till I bought my yellow top in the mid 90s. The car isnt run much. And the batt has fell below starting levels many times, sometimes for years it would be unused. I charge it up and its good to go, every time.

But during the 15 years that I have abused this yellow top in the one car I have had batteries in other vehicles that saw a similar abuse. Meaning a really low charge and sitting drained then a re-charge with the heavy duty charger I have. The flat plate batteries in the other vehicles that were only seven years old gave up the ghost. They could not keep a charge, no matter what I did to revive them.. They would take a full charge but it would fall off pretty quickly and they were more of a load for the alternator. Alot of resistance for the alt. just to keep them up to a minimal charge, that would be gone in three days of parked time. Toasted battery.

The 15 year old yellow top still acts like a new batt. After a decent charge on the big box it is fresh and ready to go. It will hold that charge for more than a month, fires the engine right up.

I hate abusing this batt like that, but thats just my sitch right now. That damm battery has more than held up. Not even comparing it to the flat plate batteries that I have gone through and wrecked, they dont hold a candles worth of light compared..

I tossed one in one of my other "not driven much cars" just for that purpose. Same thing. I expect to jump in it and have a dead battery. After a couple of months of no use. What the heck?? She fires right up.. A strong firing too. I mean several cranking sessions because the engine wasnt ready to go, but the batt was really ready to go.

Best batteries I have ever used. Im a fan, no doubt. I have a 15 year old yellow top that has been severely abused. Like being in a boat. Kinda weird but I hate abusing it so much. Its been subjected to so much abuse and still comes through, and its been with me for some time now. Like an old dog. After awhile you want to give it some better treatment. So... Im gonna feed my batt more often and give it a lil love.

But yeah, all craziness aside, the yellow top batts are pretty darn good batteries. JR

esenior
07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Our group 27, 31, 51, and 78 batteries all offer provisions for venting.

Hey Jim, I just got my Redtop 78 and was wondering if there is a vent tube provision on these batteries (you mentioned that the Yellow top does not have a vent tube)? I noticed 2 holes on the top at either side around .25" each. Are these for venting?

OptimaJim
07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Jim, I just got my Redtop 78 and was wondering if there is a vent tube provision on these batteries (you mentioned that the Yellow top does not have a vent tube)? I noticed 2 holes on the top at either side around .25" each. Are these for venting?

Yes on all counts.

Jim McIlvaine