PDA

View Full Version : Sad News from Power Tour

DynoDon
06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
A driver of a Gen 1 Camaro SS was killed on the Power Tour in FL. He was not in the main caravan but was driving to the next Stop/Show. Story here http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100612/NEWS/100619917/1007?Title=Florida-man-killed-in-head-on-collision-Friday
On another board there was a quote from a local fireman who said that car was definitely on the way to the show. It apparently is a well known road for being dangerous for passing as this impatient idiot did.
Sad deal. R.I.P.

MrQuick
06-12-2010, 07:18 PM
"The Escape attempted to pass a Ford Taurus after cresting a hill at mile marker 118 called Harper Hill, but after coming into the southbound lane, the SUV swerved back into the northbound lane, clipping the Taurus, Ryans said. The driver probably saw the oncoming Camaro and attempted to get back into the northbound lane, he said. "

Thats just useless right there. Nothing is worth the life of another, or your own to be doing something stupid like that.

Vince

nor_cal_67rs
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Man that sucks :( my thoughts and prayers go out to the family... being a firefighter/emt I see a lot of this kind of stuff and it never gets any easier...

sunkistcamaro
06-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Thats just horrible. My heart goes out the families.

dropit69
06-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Man that is terrible..my prayers go out to his family..

73z-6sp
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Man...that really stinks. I think I read the man's name was Jamey and his son was in the car with him but was in the hospital. Not sure how much is truth. Either way...I pray for his family and even the family of the girl who tried to pass. Stupid actions can have long lasting consequences. :(

rrstroker71
06-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Prayers to the Family, we heard about it here in Pensacola. Happens way to much.

130fe
06-13-2010, 07:00 AM
That stinks, we heard about it later in the day but not alot of details. We drove through there earlier that morning on the Tour. It was a nice drive with a 2 lane highway in a rural setting. Numerous blind hills with double yellow lines though..... Sad to hear about the fatality/injuries, not worth it at all.

HotRod47
06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
That is so tragic!

JohnUlaszek
06-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Awful.

A Ford Escape is not a very big vehicle as SUV's go, I wonder if it was the modern safety design and equipment that saved the Escape driver or possibly the type or condition of equipment in the Camaro that resulted in the fatality.

ProdigyCustoms
06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
There is a video around of a little G6 and a 59 Impala in a head on collision, the Impala loses badly. Sounds like exactly what hapened here.

Sad news for sure.

wicked68
06-14-2010, 05:26 AM
wow - thats horrible.

Troubles are only just starting for the person driving the suv - they will likely lose everything - be forced into bankruptcy and probably will be charged with vehicular manslaughter and wreckless driving. jail time is not out of question.

I lost my director of operations and a good friend of mine on friday - he was killed in an accident on his way to illinois to care for his father who is battling cancer. he was only 44 yo.

I dont know what happened as it was out of state and still so recent.

People dont think about all the impacts this has not only on their immediate lives but all the lives around them and around those. Its a cascading effect.

Bow Tie 67
06-14-2010, 05:44 AM
That really sucks, I'll assume he did not have shoulder belts.

Take a look at this crap:

http://forums.hotrod.com/70/8226620/power-tour/a-guy-tried-to-shoot-me-yesterday-night/index.html

elitecustombody
06-14-2010, 05:48 AM
OMG! That's JUST horrible.
R.I.P.

Jim Nilsen
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
It is a wonder these days why we have to gain 30 seconds off a trip and take the risk of passing.

We all need to learn from this and learn to not pass even if we have all the horsepower in the world. If it is not certain to be 100% safe don't pass.

I avoided a ticket a month ago because I didn't pass a car when the passenger said to go around the car in front of me. Less than 5 seconds later there was a cop on the side of the road who would have witnessed the whole thing as I went by and I would have been going over the speed limit for sure.

So drive defensively and be safe !!!!