PDA

View Full Version : Run Thru The Hills

DLinson
06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Where do we go to sign up for Run to the Hills this year?

Dennis

Tucks69
06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
They usually post registration around July. It is a great event. I attended last year.

protouring70
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
It is a blast!!! And you make great friends like Tuck!!

tazzz25906112
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
It will be posted as stated and I absolutely agree,,,,, It is a do not miss event!!!!! Personally it's my favorite event of the year...

DFRESH
06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Albert, what are the dates for the event in Sept?

Doug

Larry Callahan
06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
It should be up soon. I have the form ready to go and we just need to nail a few details. Watch for it soon.

tazzz25906112
06-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Doug we're in early (Wed) so call me and we'll get it all set up pal..... Looking forward to having you on the east coast with the RatPack and remember "save your liver until then buddy" ROFLMAO....

Bill I think it just might be Doug's B-day at the RTH's,,,, what do you think?????

Danny Thomas
06-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Doug, they closed all the stills so no beverages that makes Elvis appear unless you go see a fake at one of the theaters..lol good to hear you coming our way and we can see if we can find some apple pie esp. for a Birthday boy

Bow Tie 67
06-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Doug, they closed all the stills so no beverages that makes Elvis appear unless you go see a fake at one of the theaters..lol good to hear you coming our way and we can see if we can find some apple pie esp. for a Birthday boy

He will appear in the form of Jelvis. ( a.k.a. Jeff Tate )

Danny Thomas
06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Thats funny :fingersx:

JEFFTATE
06-28-2010, 09:28 AM

I resemble that remark ..

tazzz25906112
06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
LOL,,,, see the fun is already starting on this one!!!!!!!! Can't wait to be there...

JEFFTATE
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Bill has some good 'shine up there .
Goes down smooth ..

Steve Chryssos
07-07-2010, 03:52 AM
I'll keep that in mind....

.... in case my car runs out of fuel.

Tom Gedris
08-17-2010, 05:23 AM
I understand that the Grand Fall Run is the same weekend, in Pigeon Forge, this year. Something was said about parking along the parkway???!!! Near businesses, but not in front of them??? I don't want to be towed not knowing the "rules of the road/show" in a town I haven't been to before. It appears from maps that Pigeon Forge is a couple or three miles long. That's a long line of cars on each side of a big highway. Will they congregate in some specific areas mostly??? Would it be better to leave our cars at the MainStay Suites and walk??? Do the Fall Run cars cruise the parkway in Pigeon Forge at night??

I know noobie questions, but waiting to get there wastes a lot of time. Maybe some of you veterans of past RTTH's events or locals can share experiences.

I'm excited by the prospects and want to take in as much as possible that weekend. Don't want to miss anything. Great cars and great people to meet and make friends with I hope.
I'll be like a kid in a candy shop. Hope my camera battery lasts!!!:cheers:
Tom Gedris, Tallahassee, FL

JEFFTATE
08-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Run thru the Hills is always during the Fall Grand Rod Run.
The Rod Run is a great time to visit Pigeon Forge , and it's a great time to have RTTH's.
It gives us so much to see ..
There is NOT a lot of available parking spaces on the strip , so it's usually necessary to find some place to park away from the strip and walk .
The businesses along the strip don't want people to leave "For Sale " cars in the same place all weekend and take up their whole parking lot.
So , they will make you buy a space from them , or park somewhere else..
The strip has become a major "For Sale" market in the last few years.

We usually by-pass the strip in favor of the less crowded back roads , and we usually park at Bill Howell's or at the Main Stay Suites ..
The Main Stay Suites is on a side road about two blocks off the strip.

Cars cruise up and down the strip all weekend , day and night ..

Either way , it's Very Fun !

Tom Gedris
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Do they cruise as far as Gatlinburg and back or are they mostly in Pigeon Forge??
Oh, one more question, someone said something about visiting a large HOT ROD shop on the Friday cruise evening. What is the name of the place so I can check it out online if possible.
Thanks again from a noobie.:cheers:
Tom Gedris

JEFFTATE
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
It's not usually a continuous line of hotrods and musclecars up and down the strip.
There is a lot of spectators cruising in all kinds of cars and trucks.
Some individuals go over to Gatlinburg , but the line doesn't go all the way over there and back ..

JEFFTATE
08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh, one more question, someone said something about visiting a large HOT ROD shop on the Friday cruise evening. What is the name of the place so I can check it out online if possible.
:cheers:
Tom Gedris

Precision Hot Rods.
http://precisionrod.com/main/inprogress/ (http://precisionrod.com/main/inprogress/)

Tom Gedris
08-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks Jeff,
Just got off their site after downloading maps. Seems like a fine shop with lots to see. Do you think we will be able to tour through the car area and pick up pointers from them? I can see that there would be some liability issues, but it would be nice to ask some questions.:cheers:
Tom Gedris

JEFFTATE
08-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks Jeff,
Just got off their site after downloading maps. Seems like a fine shop with lots to see. Do you think we will be able to tour through the car area and pick up pointers from them? I can see that there would be some liability issues, but it would be nice to ask some questions.:cheers:
Tom Gedris

We'll have to play that by ear , when we get there ..
Most of the shops know that we are do-it-yourself car hobby enthusiasts. They will probably let us look around and ask questions ..
It's gonna be fun , I love going to shops and poking around ..

Tom Gedris
08-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Jeff,
It's hard to believe we will do a 125 mile cruise then see a fine Hot Rod Shop in just 2.5 hours. Heck the shop alone could take all day. I guess we need to be pumped up on 93+ octane.:cheers: The first beer is ON me before and during dinner. I tend to get sloppy :cheers:sometimes so give me room.
Tom Gedris

dropit69
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Ok less then a month away..whos as ready as i am to get there..well i am car might not be..i always seem to wait till last minute to get things done..

Tucks69
08-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok less then a month away..whos as ready as i am to get there..well i am car might not be..i always seem to wait till last minute to get things done..

Me to Darrin, My car needs a starter and fuel line rerouting. It had vapor lock in the hot GA weather back in July at PSMC. I will do the last minute thrash!!

Scott Parkhurst
08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
All I have to do is install my engine...

PARKERRS
08-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Don't feel bad Darrin. I'm changing the grey car over to fuel injection and will just be running the plumbing tonight. I always wind up in a rush, LOL.

Tore the car down the second week of July. New Bowler transmission, Fast EZ-EFI, and a new set of shoes thanks to Frank at Prodigy. Forgelines with PS2"s, yeah buddy!

Tom Gedris
08-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Need to get the car on the lift to check for road worthiness. All bolts tight, all fluids full, nothing dragging or rubbing, spare tire at proper inflation (just in case), and etc. Oh yes, don't forget the umbrella, the folding chair, and the hooch!!!!:cheers:
Tom Gedris

dropit69
08-19-2010, 06:44 AM
ok Tommy and Michael i dont feel so bad now..lol..cant wait too see the upgrades Tommy..

JEFFTATE
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Jeff,
It's hard to believe we will do a 125 mile cruise then see a fine Hot Rod Shop in just 2.5 hours. Heck the shop alone could take all day. Tom Gedris

I see what you mean.
You don't think we can cover 125 miles of mountain roads in 2.5 hrs ???
We drive fast !!!
You don't know this group .. LOL !!

I think we will drive , eat , then drive some more ????
It doesn't matter , it will happen either way ...

71duster
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM

i have been ready since LAST month! i have to get my new power steering setup done this week i hope. i opted against putting the detroit and lower gear in the rear for now. new falkens are on and ready!

xxxturbo6
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I was ready but it looks like I only have about 3 wks left to install the DSE front & rear complete "Speed Kits".. :fingersx:

Front & Rear DSE sway bars
Front DSE upper & lower tubular A-arms
Front DSE frame braces
Front & Rear DSE drop springs
Front & Rear DSE shocks
Rear adjustable upper & lower control arms

Looks like the BAER "Track 4" brake kit will have to wait!

Fingers are crossed and hope it all goes smooth!

May have to hit Bill up for a weekend "Suspension Thrash" LOL

Scot W.
GNS

1981silverz28
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been ready since last Sept. We will see how much better the Z does with Pro-touringfbody stuff under it to help stiffen it up .. It should be here the 2nd week of Sept... Late night wrenching is the way it always goes ...:nopity:

Tom Gedris
08-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Jeff,
I have no problem with doing the Dragon (125 miles) in 2.5 hours but seeing a fine Hot Rod shop (this alone could take all day) and eating dinner too in a group just seemed like a short time.
I'm up for it and excited. Let's go drivin'
Tom Gedris:cheers:

Tucks69
08-20-2010, 06:10 AM
I've been ready since last Sept. We will see how much better the Z does with Pro-touringfbody stuff under it to help stiffen it up .. It should be here the 2nd week of Sept... Late night wrenching is the way it always goes ...:nopity:

I see you got hooked on autocrossing why we were down at PSMC!! Hope you get the upgrades done in time!

71duster
08-21-2010, 12:17 PM

not gonna be any late night wrenching johnny! we gettin it done!

71duster
08-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I was ready but it looks like I only have about 3 wks left to install the DSE front & rear complete "Speed Kits".. :fingersx:

Front & Rear DSE sway bars
Front DSE upper & lower tubular A-arms
Front DSE frame braces
Front & Rear DSE drop springs
Front & Rear DSE shocks
Rear adjustable upper & lower control arms

Looks like the BAER "Track 4" brake kit will have to wait!

Fingers are crossed and hope it all goes smooth!

May have to hit Bill up for a weekend "Suspension Thrash" LOL

Scot W.
GNS

i am just down the road in madisonville if you need a hand. i always wanted to check out some DSE stuff in person! not really up on my GM tech,but i can hold a wrench!

Tom Gedris
08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone know of a do it yourself car wash in the Pigeon Forge area. I'm drivin' about 500 miles to get there on Thursday and I know the car will look terrible after that much road crap. :cheers: I don't want to be embarrassed next to all your trailered in beauties.
Tom Gedris

BonzoHansen
08-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't feel bad Darrin. I'm changing the grey car over to fuel injection and will just be running the plumbing tonight. I always wind up in a rush, LOL.

Tore the car down the second week of July. New Bowler transmission, Fast EZ-EFI, and a new set of shoes thanks to Frank at Prodigy. Forgelines with PS2"s, yeah buddy!

Damn! Sounds great, I expect pics!

Can't go this year but RTTH 2011 is already on the calendar. Albert told us if we don’t go we are not real ‘car guys’ and that is not acceptable.

Scott Parkhurst
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone know of a do it yourself car wash in the Pigeon Forge area. I'm drivin' about 500 miles to get there on Thursday and I know the car will look terrible after that much road crap. :cheers: I don't want to be embarrassed next to all your trailered in beauties.
Tom Gedris

We're driving 2 cars down from the Minneapolis area- no trailer this time! We'll need one too!

dropit69
08-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Tom Gedris
There is one right at the bottom of the hill by Bills house ..Bill also running water at his place he is not that far out in the sticks..lol

Bill Howell
08-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Several car washes around, however, we have a hose and plenty cleaning supplies at the toy box so don't sweat that. PLUS remember, my car is never on a trailer either so you get extra points if you show up without a trailer...

vintageracer
08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Run thru the Hills is always during the Fall Grand Rod Run.

The businesses along the strip don't want people to leave "For Sale " cars in the same place all weekend and take up their whole parking lot.
So , they will make you buy a space from them , or park somewhere else..
The strip has become a major "For Sale" market in the last few years.

Not necessarily true!

Rod Run weekends have been major "For Sale" markets for years! That's why most people come to buy/sell and enjoy the mountains. If you actually go to Grand Run show you will see it is really small and mostly a waste of $10.00 to get in.

The strip is a state highway therefore ALL the parking places next to the strip are open season for anyone to park as they are on State of Tennessee property. If you look at the strip when you are there you will see the telephone poles and wires are about 20-30 ft off the the state highway (the strip) on either side of the road. Those wire/poles define the change between State of Tennesse property and private property. If there is a paved parking space next to strip inside the poles that is fair game for anyone to park and you do NOT need to pay anyone for the privilege of parking there. You can expect any parking space right in front of a store front to be private property and only good to park if you are patronizing that business.

Any parking spaces "outside the wires" are on private property and the owners can and do control those parking spaces. Many of the business's in PF do not like the Rod Run as the only people who make any money that weekend are hotels and restaurants. Most rodders do not buy all the trinkets and trash most of the shops sell so it's not that great a sales weekend for most business's. The traffic is a nightmare so a lot of locals also see it as a PITA. So much for Tennessee hospitality!

EVERYBODY who has a car up there this weekend has it for sale. The cops tolerate it but have been looking harder at dealers who line up 10-12 cars for sale in a row and sit there with their cars for 2 solid weeks. There is also a second big rod run (Shades of the Past) the weekend before the Grand Run so it really is 2 solid weeks of cars. You would be surprised at the number of people who stay the whole time in PF for 2 solid weeks.

If you can find a place to park next to the strip do it and hang a For Sale shingle. Just make sure the license plate on the car is current. The cops will tow a car without a plate or and expired plate. It's rare but has happened. Or you could enjoy being the victim of a hit and run on 4 different cars like I was last March.

All in All Pigeon Forge in September is a lot of fun if you likes cars, mountains and moonshine!!!

yellowrallys
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Tom Gedris

Trailered in.......Hmmm, could you be thinking of another event?

xxxturbo6
08-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Tom Gedris Tom,

There is one just down the hill from Bill's house if you need one, Plus like Bill said there is a hose and cleaning stuff at the toy box!!..

Trailors?? Aren't those for Boats?

Scot W.

Tom Gedris
08-27-2010, 04:47 AM
I haven't met Mr. Howell yet and don't know what or where the toy box is. Is it a business or is it Mr. Howell's personal car sanctuary or ???? Sorry for being a pest but inquiring minds want to know.

And yes, in my book trailers and garages are for boats. Cars are to drive and drive and drive some more. Let's boogie.:cheers:
Tom Gedris

Bow Tie 67
08-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Bills personal garage / hang-out ect...... good times

PARKERRS
08-27-2010, 05:39 AM
I haven't met Mr. Howell yet and don't know what or where the toy box is. Is it a business or is it Mr. Howell's personal car sanctuary or ???? Sorry for being a pest but inquiring minds want to know.

And yes, in my book trailers and garages are for boats. Cars are to drive and drive and drive some more. Let's boogie.:cheers:
Tom Gedris

Don't worry about finding it. Look for some of us regulars around the hotel, we'll show you how to get to Bill's place. We're not hard to find, it's not your average group of rod run cars. If you don't see anyone I'll be in space 59 at the campground across from the Mainstay. My only reason for using a trailer, You can't drive the motorhome and the car at the same time.

Derek69SS
08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, I think mine will be coming in on a trailer... lost O/D in the 4L60e over the weekend, and I'm not sure the car can make it all the way there and back under its own power. Fluid smells pretty burnt. :(

JEFFTATE
08-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Not necessarily true!

Rod Run weekends have been major "For Sale" markets for years! That's why most people come to buy/sell and enjoy the mountains. If you actually go to Grand Run show you will see it is really small and mostly a waste of $10.00 to get in.

The strip is a state highway therefore ALL the parking places next to the strip are open season for anyone to park as they are on State of Tennessee property. If you look at the strip when you are there you will see the telephone poles and wires are about 20-30 ft off the the state highway (the strip) on either side of the road. Those wire/poles define the change between State of Tennesse property and private property. If there is a paved parking space next to strip inside the poles that is fair game for anyone to park and you do NOT need to pay anyone for the privilege of parking there. You can expect any parking space right in front of a store front to be private property and only good to park if you are patronizing that business.

Any parking spaces "outside the wires" are on private property and the owners can and do control those parking spaces. Many of the business's in PF do not like the Rod Run as the only people who make any money that weekend are hotels and restaurants. Most rodders do not buy all the trinkets and trash most of the shops sell so it's not that great a sales weekend for most business's. The traffic is a nightmare so a lot of locals also see it as a PITA. So much for Tennessee hospitality!

EVERYBODY who has a car up there this weekend has it for sale. The cops tolerate it but have been looking harder at dealers who line up 10-12 cars for sale in a row and sit there with their cars for 2 solid weeks. There is also a second big rod run (Shades of the Past) the weekend before the Grand Run so it really is 2 solid weeks of cars. You would be surprised at the number of people who stay the whole time in PF for 2 solid weeks.

If you can find a place to park next to the strip do it and hang a For Sale shingle. Just make sure the license plate on the car is current. The cops will tow a car without a plate or and expired plate. It's rare but has happened. Or you could enjoy being the victim of a hit and run on 4 different cars like I was last March.

All in All Pigeon Forge in September is a lot of fun if you likes cars, mountains and moonshine!!!

I did not know all this ..
That's good info.
Thanks .

PARKERRS
08-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately, I think mine will be coming in on a trailer... lost O/D in the 4L60e over the weekend, and I'm not sure the car can make it all the way there and back under its own power. Fluid smells pretty burnt. :(

Have a talk with Mark Bowler while your there. He can fix you up right. After trying and frying two other 700R4's I've gone to Mark and think this will be my last transmission.

Hotwire
09-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Just wanted to subscribe to the thread and let ya'll know I'll be there snapping as many pictures as possible. Hope they turn out as good / better than last year! Can't wait!

Tucks69
09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Just wanted to subscribe to the thread and let ya'll know I'll be there snapping as many pictures as possible. Hope they turn out as good / better than last year! Can't wait!

Good pics, I even saw my beat up 68 Camaro in there!

Scott Parkhurst
09-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Woo Hoo- New engine and old trans have mated and are installed. Should have it all running this weekend and be ready for the lil' drive down!

Getting stoked about this..!

DLinson
09-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Glad to hear you got the engine and tranny back together. I was wondering if you were going to make it or not. Hopefully we'll make it through RTTH in one piece. I'm just glad The Nova's injuries at the Faceoff were not as servere as the wagon's.

See you there.

Dennis

Derek69SS
09-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Have a talk with Mark Bowler while your there. He can fix you up right. After trying and frying two other 700R4's I've gone to Mark and think this will be my last transmission.I've got a better plan... as soon as I get home from RTTH, I'm pulling the car apart to swap in an LS1/T56. :cheers:

Woo Hoo- New engine and old trans have mated and are installed. Should have it all running this weekend and be ready for the lil' drive down!

Getting stoked about this..!
Right on!! Can't wait to see it next weekend for your shakedown autocross. :fingersx: (you still need to get signed up BTW :bananna2: )

Scott Parkhurst
09-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Derek-

It's real close to running now. I think I'll just put some street miles on it until the TN trip. I want to work out any potential bugs before throwing it around (again). It was just an engine swap, so that's all I'm really going to focus on (leaks/squeaks). Still hooking stuff up today..!

Scott Parkhurst
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Glad to hear you got the engine and tranny back together. I was wondering if you were going to make it or not. Hopefully we'll make it through RTTH in one piece. I'm just glad The Nova's injuries at the Faceoff were not as servere as the wagon's.

See you there.

Dennis

Hey Dennis! Looking forward to seeing you too!

A busted motor is a busted motor. I was able to re-use the crank, heads, lifters, distributor, and intake/carb. That's about it. The block, pistons, rods, cam, oil pan/pickup, rockers, etc are all new, and the headers got tweaked a bit and recoated.

Ask me about the oil pan when we get there. Quite a story with that deal...

I'm broke now, so it must be almost done.

yellowrallys
09-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Darlene doing a little maintenance prior to RTTHs.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/4967543395_7380b17d47_z-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/4968151796_f493c41bc3_z-1.jpg

Scott Parkhurst
09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Darlene doing a little maintenance prior to RTTHs.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/4967543395_7380b17d47_z.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/4968151796_f493c41bc3_z.jpg[IMG]

FYI- I'll need help checking my oil level when we get there. Maybe a few times. Let Darlene know. LOL!

yellowrallys
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
FYI- I'll need help checking my oil level when we get there. Maybe a few times. Let Darlene know. LOL!

She's leaving that BFH at home!

Scott Parkhurst
09-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Woo Hoo! As of last night, it runs again!

I'll go for a drive tonight and make sure all is well.

I'm just stoked that it's alive again. It's been down since early May...too damn long. No fun with it all summer.

tommycomfort
09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Oh snap, I see multiple plans coming together!

Needless to say, "Pro-tourers" are always welcome to crash at our place Wednesday night, or any night leading up to that. We're just 20 minutes from I-465 on the southwest side of Indy. Only downfall is the 1800' gravel driveway...

Tom