PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Camaro Subframe - Paint or powder coat???

BuddyP
05-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I am looking to get my subframe coated within the next couple of months and had been planning on getting it powder coated. But while pondering this I thought that if I was to have it painted I could fill in some of the pits and imperfections to give it a smoother look.

My main question is, have any of you that have had the subframe painted had any duribility issues? Any chipping from being so close to the road? I planned on having it powder coated mainly for the duribility but if paint seems to hold up fine I might still go that route.

It will be getting painted or coated in a charcoal metaillic color (dark gray)

Ralph LoGrasso
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268&highlight=powdercoat Same topic. Lots of opinions in there. I'm going to be painting the subframe on my '68.

BuddyP
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Lot's of interesting thoughts on that thread, If my frame was not pitted from rust and all pretty smooth I'd have it powder coated hands down... but had thought about using body filler to smooth the pits and have it painted. I'd use POR15 if they made a charcoal color... speaking of which, can you mix POR 15? I know they make black and silver, maybe I could just mix the 2 together????

BRIAN
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I would go with the paint as it is easier to touch up and with modern materials pretty durable. It is all in the prep either way. Don't go the Por route, it takes the same time to do it right and just use regular paint. Send out to be blasted and go from there.

Happyfunballs
05-06-2005, 04:19 AM
Buddy, you don't want to POR over body filler....metal only. I painted my frame.