PDA

View Full Version : need help, drivers side sits lower than pass side...

68firebird
06-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Finally got some tires mounted on my front rims, put them on the car, then I proceeded to lower the front down. My problem is the drivers side sits a bit lower than the passengers side. after measuring from the garage floor to the bottom of the fender lip, the drivers side measures 24 3/4 and the passenger side is 25 1/2. I lowered the drivers side first, then while lowering the passengers side something on the drivers side made a bang, I'm thinkin it was the spring settling into the pocket or something, but I really don't know. I checked everything out quickly and everything "looks" ok. Anyone have any ideas, I'm kinda stumped. I've still got jackstands under the rear axletubes, don't know if that would even matter.

Here's a pic if the drivers side. The passenger side is a 3/4" higher,so there's more of a gap between the tire and fender lip. I'm thinking its supposed to sit like the passenger side is.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/c8fbe4ef-1.jpg

MrQuick
06-06-2010, 08:34 AM
leaf springs? sometimes thats how it is.

but check for:
out of pocket coil springs.
arm bushings tightened in the air.
leaf spring bushings binding.
shocks binding.
uneven caster numbers.
bad level.
un even floor.

vince

68firebird
06-06-2010, 08:56 AM
leaf springs? sometimes thats how it is.

but check for:
out of pocket coil springs.
arm bushings tightened in the air.
leaf spring bushings binding.
shocks binding.
uneven caster numbers.
bad level.
un even floor.

vince

I think what I'm gonna do is drop the lower control arm on the drivers side and re-seat the coil spring and see if that helps. each side seems to bounce and return fine if I press on the fenders. Is there anyway to really tell if its the rear leafs? I tightened the lower bushings while it was in the air, but not the uppers, I haven't even tightened the upper bushings yet.

MrQuick
06-06-2010, 09:15 AM
You don't have to pop it to inspect the upper pocket, just a good flash light and mirrior should do it. Look for the sheet metal center ring. Also make sure springs are in the lower pocket evenly too.

The lower arm might have been it. Try to loosen the arms and drop it on to a few blocks of wood, bounce a few times. (Chock your back wheels please.) Let sit a few hours then crawl under it and tighten the CA bolts.

How to tell if its the leafs? You can pull the wheels and support the body evenly side to side at the pinch welds near the fender mounts. Make sure you are dead on with this. Set to an easy height but not higher than ride height. I usually set to 4 or 5 inches. Then measure your rear quarter lips. I like to use the lips cause thats what you are looking at to compare.

See what you come up with. My SWAG is that it will be off by a 1/2".

vince

68firebird
06-06-2010, 10:27 AM
You don't have to pop it to inspect the upper pocket, just a good flash light and mirrior should do it. Look for the sheet metal center ring. Also make sure springs are in the lower pocket evenly too.

The lower arm might have been it. Try to loosen the arms and drop it on to a few blocks of wood, bounce a few times. (Chock your back wheels please.) Let sit a few hours then crawl under it and tighten the CA bolts.

How to tell if its the leafs? You can pull the wheels and support the body evenly side to side at the pinch welds near the fender mounts. Make sure you are dead on with this. Set to an easy height but not higher than ride height. I usually set to 4 or 5 inches. Then measure your rear quarter lips. I like to use the lips cause thats what you are looking at to compare.

See what you come up with. My SWAG is that it will be off by a 1/2".

vince

thank you for the help. I'll have to check into this tomorrow when I get time.

but just to be clear, I should jack the car up, loosen the lower bushing bolts, then drop the front tires on a couple 2X4's, then bounce the car, then after a few hours of letting it sit tighten up the bolts while the fronts are on the 2X4's? I don't have any tires on the back yet either, I've only got a couple jack stands under the axle tube.

again, thanks for the help, I'm a total newb at this.

68firebird
06-06-2010, 02:26 PM
ok, I had a bit of time tonight so looked into it a bit. it looked as though it wasn't sitting in the lower arm correctly, so I dropped the arm and re-seated it. Its in the frame correctly and in the arm correctly, and with it all back together its still 3/4 difference from drivers to passengers side, no difference. I'll do the same thing to the passenger side sometime this week and see if that side changes.

MrQuick
06-06-2010, 04:32 PM
thank you for the help. I'll have to check into this tomorrow when I get time.

but just to be clear, I should jack the car up, loosen the lower bushing bolts, then drop the front tires on a couple 2X4's, then bounce the car, then after a few hours of letting it sit tighten up the bolts while the fronts are on the 2X4's? yes it helps to get under the car if you don't have a full drive on rack. You really want the full weight on the car to be sure.

I don't have any tires on the back yet either, I've only got a couple jack stands under the axle tube.

again, thanks for the help, I'm a total newb at this. no problem, its best to do with it sitting on its wheels. That way you have a better idea on how it will sit.

Vince