PDA

View Full Version : Mounting QA1 adjustable coil shocks

SHOUGHTON
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I purchased a set of used front QA1 adjustable coil shocks from a member on here so I do not have any directions. Do these mount the same as any shock or do they mount on the top of the lower A arm? The hole in my stock A arm is not large enough for the shock to go up through so I mounted it on top. The car now sits about an inch higher than it did stock which is not what I was looking for. I was told they were for a 67 small block and would give me about 2" of drop. I have the coils adjustments as low as they can go and the coil is seated properly in the top seat. Do I need to modify my A arm to allow the shock to be mounted to the bottom?

ArtosDracon
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure what type of car you have, but assuming your LCA uses a cross bar to mount the shock, you should be able to remove the cross bar, slide the shock end through the LCA from the top where you have it mounted now and then re-install the cross bar back through the shock end to bolt it to the bottom of the LCA, that will likely give you a half an inch of drop or so. Also, it will settle as much as an inch as the coil adjusts to the weight, all springs do.

nor_cal_67rs
05-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Do you have any pics? Also be aware that if you run the adjustments all the way down you run the risk of eventually blowing out the seals...

SHOUGHTON
05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the idea of removing the lower mounting plate. It doesn't look like it will be easy to slide out of the lower eye of the shock. I'm also worried that that the knob to set the shock rate will not allow the shock to fit though the hole in the A arm. I'll give it a shot. Maybe these are not the correct shocks for my application but I was told they woul fit any small block 67-69 Camaro.

nor_cal_67rs
05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
You should be able to take the knob off then slide the shock through and reinstall the knob

SHOUGHTON
05-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I contacted QA1 and they got me going. They do recommend installing the shock on the top side of the A arm.

ArtosDracon
05-29-2010, 03:58 AM
I thought they might, that limits loads on the bolts to sheer loads, instead of needing the heads of the bolt to support the actual vehicle weight.