PDA

View Full Version : Dynamat type stuff, I'm on the fence

AintQik
05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I know it works and I know it works very well. My car is out of paint and its time to start to think about putting it back together. So:

1. Now would time to do it as the interior is stripped
2. Interior is sprayed with Lizard Skin ceramic and sound deadener
3. Mat is heavy and expensive and not fun to play with

Knowing those facts what do you guys think about laying the mat down also? I've got 0 experience with the Lizard skin so I don't know if it works or if its layed down thick enough or properly. Body guy is good so I think its right.

I have seen people mention that they regretted not doing it while the car was apart. I just don't know if its needed on top of the Lizard Skin. Could be one of those "can't hurt" things but I hate the stuff and the tar and the mess and paying for it so in my mind it CAN hurt lol. Thoughts/experience?

Yoda4561
05-25-2010, 08:12 AM
If the interior already has lizard skin sound deadener in it I wouldn't bother with the mats for now. First you want to give it a few months to finish offgassing so that it won't cause adhesion problems with the mats. It's also been my experience that the paint type deadeners take a long time (weeks or months) to reach 100% cure and maximize their deadening. 2nd I question the effectiveness of a foil based deadener applied on top of a thick spray-on coating. I figure they're most effective when applied to bare metal or a normal painted panel, but applied over a rubbery sound deadener won't work nearly as well. Give it a month or two for the spray-deadener to finish curing and reach 100% effectiveness, and then decide whether adding mats will be worth the trouble.