PDA

View Full Version : What is acceptable tire clearance?

skeevay
05-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Getting ready to set up my rear suspension and order a rear end housing. I was wondering if there was a minimum recommended distance from frame to tire and tire to fender.

68protouring454
05-04-2005, 04:16 AM
from what i have read and heard on leafs it would be nice to have 3/4 but you can get away with 1/2 if needed, and on a 4 bar/3 link etc you can tighten the tolerances up some but 1/2 is a good all around number, if its close roll the 1/4 lip so it will not cut into tire
jake

jeffandre
05-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I have 19x13's on the rear of my 71 Camaro and modified the car to have 1" clearance on both sides just in case (leaf springs). I figure pulling 1g or quick transitions as in autocross will use up a good deal of this space (I have a sway bar too, so that will help some).

skeevay
05-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Thank you for your replies!
I am putting 335/35/17's on the rear of my 65 Impala. Per my initial calculations, I should be able to center the tire in the wheel well and have 1/2" clearance on both sides (fender to tire & tire to frame) with no modifications. Wheels/tires should be here next week so that I can confirm my measurements. I had planned from the start that I would be narrowing the frame rails and putting in mini tubs, but if I dont have to that would sure save a lot of time and headache! :hammer: I have not decided for sure what suspension I am going to use, but am leaning towards a "truck arm" so, I would have a watts or panhard, but no sway bar. What do you guys think?