PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air Frontrunner installed.

nancejd
05-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I got my Vintage Air Frontrunner mocked up on my engine. It's a really nice system, but I have to figure out how to make the thermostat housing work. I attached a couple of pics of what it looks like, and what the issue with the thermostat is. I basically have 1.25 inch from the manifold to the bracket, and the centerline of the thermostat is 5/8 inch above the bracket. Any ideas? Anyone know how big the fitting that goes on a 16 AN outlet is?

Jims78elky
05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Looks good so far! i don't know the answer to the question,but i was curious about the size or what lines do you run for the power steering?
Are the fittings AN? and where can you purchase the right lines or fittings?

Anyway,keep up the great job...looks nice! That belt throwing will be a thing of the past!:fingersx:

zbugger
05-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Dude, that looks awesome on your motor, but I don't think you'll get a housing to fit behind that without a lot of machine work. Had you waited, I think you'd be able to run this one. http://www.billetspecialties.com/itemdetail.asp?cid=23&scid=55&pid=649&rdir=1

nancejd
05-05-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't really like the Billet Specialties unit, too "hot rod" for me. I can draw one that will fit in CAD, should be pretty simple really. I just haven't found something ready made yet,although some pieces look close. Does anyone know if the LS1 uses the same thermostat housing mounting pattern? A standard water neck is about 1/4" too thick to fit.

I still have to run all of the fittings and lines, I had an inkling about the thermostat issue, so I mocked it up to see how it all fit together.

USAZR1
05-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Looks good,James. I'm looking forward to installing my Frontrunner.

nancejd
05-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks Clint, it looks even better in person, I'm really happy with it. Once I figure out the thermostat thing, I'll be ready to bolt it all together permanently.

USAZR1
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I haven't received my Gen-II a/c unit and Frontrunner set-up from Vintage Air,yet. It should be arriving soon,though.
I ordered the p/s pump and hose kit from DSE. Pricey little bugger.

nancejd
05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Worth every penny IMHO. It really is a beautiful product.

Martin71RS
05-14-2005, 11:07 PM
James,

can't you take a bit off the back of the front runner bracket?

see pics.....

Martin

nancejd
05-15-2005, 06:56 AM
I thought about that, but I'm just not sure it would look right. I'm in the process of drawing up a fabricated waterneck that will work, ans since I have access to a lathe and drill press, and enough knowledge to be dangerous, I think I can pull something off. I looked at using e-machine shop to have it done, but it would have been $200 for the waterneck. I think I'd rather buy $20 in materials and spend my time building a cool one off part myself.

I also compared the LS1 housing to the gen 1 housing, and the LS1 unit is smaller, and the bolt holes are closer together. I'm still open to suggestions though, until I can get it figured out.

Martin71RS
05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
I believe it can be done and look good...but do show some pics when and how you've solved it!

Martin

nancejd
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
This is kind of what I'm thinking. It basically is two pieces of turned round stock, and a couple of tabs to bolt it on.

bonesfab
07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
the ac compressor looks to be upside down according to the ones i've done. the fittings should be at the top to avoid oil loss. just obsreving...

bonesfab
07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
but the cross ram is to cool..

nancejd
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
I was wondering about that.

SHANE 73Z
07-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey James,

Are you gonna run a thermostat??

If not I was thinking you could run a thermostat block off plate that is available from circle track suppliers.

Then you could drill & tap it (or weld on) an -AN to pipe fitting wherever you need it.

Shane

nancejd
07-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I thought about doing something similar to that and using a remote thermostat housing, but since this is going to be a street car, I'm concerned about having a slow warm up time, or worse yet overheating with the remote. I think it should actually be a pretty simple piece to build, and besides, making cool stuff is one of the best parts of building a car.

WS6
08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
what about using one of those o-ring housings that allows the neck to rotate? you would probrably have to put it on before the bracketry for the system and you would most likely have to pull the bracket forward if you want to get it off, but it may work for you. just a thought.

also i dont know if it will be a problem for you, but we put one of those systems on a 65 vette with a ZZ4. the crank pulley sat so close to the front frame crossmember that you could not get the belt in there. we had to put longer bolts on the motor mounts and use a second plate in there to raise it up. they were energy suspension mounts which are identically sized to stock. getting the heater hoses onto the water pump is a pain too. great looking system though. really turns heads.

Supercharged 86
08-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe an offset housing made for blower apps will work. Try Weiand's website.

http://www.holley.com/types.asp?type=143

nancejd
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I looked at the offset water necks, but I'm not sure that's the look I want, plus they are way spendy. It's not the hose fitting that interferes with the bracket, it is the housing itself, the swiveling models stick up even more. I think I'm going to buy $20 in aluminum and build my own, since I have access to a TIG machine and a lathe.

Richz68
11-02-2005, 08:19 PM
What about this design....

Holley offset thermostat housing (http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=90845)

nancejd
11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
I might end up with one of those if I can't make the pice I'm fabricating work, but at over $100 for a thermostat housing, I have a hard time justifying that compared to the $10 in aluminum that I'm using to build my own housing.