PDA

View Full Version : Removing Camshaft It Wont Move

toofun
05-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a problem getting the cam out of the motor. I have removed everything and when I went to slide the cam back it moved about a half an inch and now it wont go any further. It wont go all the way back in and wont slide out. I have tried rocking it twisting it, sticking my finger in the back distributer hole to level it from the back as well. EVERY FRIGING WAY I CAN THINK OF. IT WONT COME OUT. I dont want to force it in fear of damaging the cam bearings. Anyone have any tricks for getting this sucker out? NOt using a cam stick as I thought it would only be necessary when putting it in. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN.

Matt@RFR
05-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Either a commercially available cam "stick" like you mentioned, or the longest bolt with the same thread you can get your hands on. That, and twist it in the bearings. Should do it.

zbugger
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Ummm.... Small block chevy, right? Did you remove the fuel pump? The pushrod is the likely culprit of what's holding it in.

ProdigyCustoms
05-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Ding, ding, ding, Alan wins! Beat me to it!

zbugger
05-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Ding, ding, ding, Alan wins! Beat me to it!
Heh.... Even with my name on the screen people get it wrong..... Heh.... Funny stuff..
oh, and I only know because that happened the first time I pulled a cam. Took me all of a minute to realize it too. What can I say? I was slow back then. :bicycle:

toofun
05-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys.

Didnt even think of the FUEL PUMP!!! This is what I love about this site. You can do things a thousand times, look at it at forty different angles and still not see the problem that is staring you right in the face. Too late to go down tonight, but will be at it first thing this morning.

Thanks again!!!

Mark
TOOFUN.

Matt@RFR
05-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Too late to go down tonight, but will be at it first thing this morning.

Care to rephrase that? :lmao:

gutlass84
05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
It is nice to know I am not the only one that has done that.

Milow68
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Nice catch Matt