PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Down A Hurst Shifter?

third base
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
I wanted to know if it would be safe to cut down a hurst pro-matic 2 ratchet shifter and re-weld it to make the stick shorter?I will be using a boot to cover the mechanism up to the shift knob. I want to give it a five speed look with a T350 function. Any Comments???

Steve Chryssos
05-04-2005, 03:49 AM
It takes a fair amount of effort to overcome the "ratchet" mechanism. So you may not have enough leverage after you cut it down.

CAMAROBOY69
05-04-2005, 04:07 AM
Steve is right. It will be even harder to shift. Its like using a breaker bar to try to break a nut loose then you go to just the ratchet or a wrench. You decrease the amount of torque that you can apply.
I guess if you are really strong then it doesn't matter. Just might put more abuse on your hand, wrist and arm than necessary. Just depends on how much you want to cut off. If its not more than an inch you should be fine.

bnoon
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Is it anything like the B&M Megashifter? I cut one of those down 2.5" to fit into my Trans Am. Otherwise it looked like I was driving an old "Rat Fink" drawing or something. True, it does take a bit more effort to shift between the gears, but not THAT much more. Besides, when I shift it manually from 1st to 2nd, I hit it HARD, which is the only time having a ratchet shifter really matters anyway.

Does the stick part detach on your shifter? Any pics???

third base
05-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Haven't bought the shifter yet. I am just trying to explore my options for what I want to try and accomplish. Want to be able to shift my T350 and have it look like a manual in the interior. Any ideas besides this one???Here is a pic. Picture it with a leather boot around it instead of a plastic one.

bnoon
05-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Here's my B&M Megashifter after I first installed it. About two weeks after this picture, I cut down the shifter under the handle are by about 2.5". The handle is now about 3" or so above the boot instead of 5.5". B&M makes a third gen specific shifter for F-bodies like mine (still waaaaay to tall), but this was a "one size fits all" one that I got for free and easily adapted to work.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif