PDA

View Full Version : full roval@Cal Speedway May 27

alcino
05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
... Anyone going?

I love this track. Probably cause it was my first Road Course and it is only 1.5 hours away.

Last time I came in dead last overall. No surprise, I only had 160hp to the wheels. Hope to improve my times a bit this time around with the boost in power and stickier tires.

Alcino

Orngcrush69
05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I'd love to but, I don't think the Chevelle is ready for that yet. I tip my hat to you Alcino, you got grande' pelota's for going out there!

alcino
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
come on. Its not that scary.

PAI Racing
05-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Just curious, why don't any of the race-track oriented PT crowd ever hit NASA HPDE events?

Salt Racer
05-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Hmmm, I have no idea. I'll try one of their events when my car gets back on the road.

I'll be there when Mark takes his car out.

alcino
05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm open at trying a NASA event. I'm still new to this RR thing. Don't really know whats out there.

Katz- Let me know when Mark goes out, I would like to tag along.

Alcino

Orngcrush69
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm like Alcino, I'm new to the sport also and have just heard of a few events.

JamesJ
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Is this at Fontana? What kind of event? Is it open to all sorts of cars? Any links?

Q ship
05-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's a link. (http://www.speedventures.net/5-27-2005_event.asp)

I won't be there, but I have picked up a new, lighter project car-with an eye towards a lot of tracking when it's done!

alcino
05-04-2005, 08:53 PM
are you gonna keep secrets Brian? What is it?

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 05:50 AM
I won't be there, but I have picked up a new, lighter project car-with an eye towards a lot of tracking when it's done!

It's a smaller, older version of Caprice. So is this going to be ready for July Buttonwillow?

Al,
Mark told me there's a NASA event on May 21~22. For some reason I thought it would be at Cal Speedway but the NASA website says Willow, which actually might be a better track for car's mayden voyage.

PAI Racing
05-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Yah, less stuff to hit at Willow!

Mean 69
05-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Yep, the NASA event is at Willow Springs. I am thinking this is where I'll take the car. My guess is that you might not get as much seat time as at a Speedventures event, but overall, attending a race weekend with NASA is pretty cool. You get LOTS of exposure to many different amateur race cars, and can really pick up tons of go fast ideas for your own car.

And Sean is right, there are lots of walls at CS. Pumping through the first two turns on the oval is an interesting feeling if you haven't done it before. Lots of neat little visual cues, like the skid marks running up the banking and ending in an ugly mess on the wall. Still, I'd love to go to CS, I might try to make it. I really want to go to the NASA event though, very likely I'll be there "this time."

Mark

Q ship
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
It's a smaller, older version of Caprice. So is this going to be ready for July Buttonwillow?

LMAO, yeah, smart guy! Al, I found a '77 Nova in Las Vegas for $150 bucks. Basically just a shell, but very little bodywork is needed, so it's perfect for me. The paperwork is kind of a mess though, so I'm not doing anything until it's straightened out. Hopefully it won't be too bad. There's some surface rust on the floorboards, otherwise it's very sound.

The plan is to just get it running and safe, and then you guys will see me back out there. I'll save the cosmetics and interior for later, I wanna drive!! Besides, if it's gutted, it's lighter, right? Can you tell I got bitten (by the track bug) hard?

Katz, no it won't be ready by July. If I come for Vince's shindig it will be as a tagalong again. Actually, I'll probably leave the helmet at home and just come to socialize and shoot pics. Will the Riv be alive by then?

Q ship
05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Just curious, why don't any of the race-track oriented PT crowd ever hit NASA HPDE events?
I think Mark touched on this just a bit above, how much track time do you actually get with all that's going on? I was impressed with the SV event by the amount of time on track.

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
...The plan is to just get it running and safe, and then you guys will see me back out there. I'll save the cosmetics and interior for later, I wanna drive!! Besides, if it's gutted, it's lighter, right? Can you tell I got bitten (by the track bug) hard?...

Good man!! :icon996:

...Will the Riv be alive by then?

Honestly not likely. Money is tight, and I want my friend to finish his son's car first so they can go out to the track.

PAI Racing
05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I just asked around (I've never done NASA HPDE myself) but I guess you get 4 20 minute sessions per day. I think the price is in the $150 for one day or $225 for 2 days. I don't know how that compares, to some others, but as Mark said you do get to see a lot of cool cars.

PAI Racing
05-05-2005, 02:30 PM
By the way, they also have time trial events that are sort of like a mini-open track challenge.

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
You usually get about 20 min/session at SV. If you stay until late, they'll let you run bonus 5th session.

Cost is about the same, with extra $20 for rental transponder.

So I guess it's comparable.

PAI Racing
05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
That's interesting. I don't know much about the open track stuff. The only one I have had experience with is Tracquest and it is my personal opinion that Todd, the owner of Tracquest, licks balls... He co-drove with me in a race one. I'll leave it at that.

I am planning on going to NASA with Mark. I will be the Cooler-weight-reduction-engineer.

alcino
05-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Has gotten busy at work for me. I don't know if I can go to this event now. I'm bummed.

Mean 69
05-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Does it look as if any of you guys are going to be able to make it? I am going to try, missed an event this weekend, but I think I can work out the rest of the demons before this one.
Mark

JamesJ
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Wont make it, have to work.

JLM
05-26-2005, 02:10 PM
I really envy you guys. Here in Colorado there is a serious lack of tracks to visit. There is actually a quite good one about 40 minutes away, (www.2ndcreekraceway.com (http://www.2ndcreekraceway.com/)) but due to urban sprawl this is the last season it will be open. There is a new developement planned to replace that track but funding is coming up REALLY short.

Hopefully I can get my car together with the new suspension, steering pieces, wheels and tires before the end of the season so I can get some laps in.