PDA

View Full Version : Where do I route the antenna wire on a '69 Camaro/Firebird?

Josh69
05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
I pulled the old mangled wire out a long time ago and am finally installing a stereo and replacing the antenna.

Where does the wire pass through from the mast to the interior?

There is a notch at the door seam, does it go there and get pinched behind the kick panel edging? Or is there a dedicated hole somewhere else that I can't see?

dipren443
05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I pulled the old mangled wire out a long time ago and am finally installing a stereo and replacing the antenna.

Where does the wire pass through from the mast to the interior?

There is a notch at the door seam, does it go there and get pinched behind the kick panel edging? Or is there a dedicated hole somewhere else that I can't see?

Give me a minute, finding you a pic. I hope this is clear...

There should be a grommet installed in this hole and the wire is routed through it.

Josh69
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
That helps. Can you tell me where the wire comes into the car from the inside? I have the fender on, so I am going to have to jimmy the antenna mast on somehow, and fish the cable thru that hole. I may find it easier to pull the fender, but was really hoping not to.

dipren443
05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
That helps. Can you tell me where the wire comes into the car from the inside? I have the fender on, so I am going to have to jimmy the antenna mast on somehow, and fish the cable thru that hole. I may find it easier to pull the fender, but was really hoping not to.

You want the sarcastic answer??? Honestly, I cannot say exactly... Just look about where that hole is on the inside. Also, you should be able to get there just by opening the door a bit. Its a tight fit, but can be done. Also, that hole is farther back than the kick panel edging. I do not remember where it is hidden in the dash, but it is closer to the firewall than the kick panel edge.

John Wright
05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I would look on my car to try and help, but it has the antenna in the windshield....LOL

dipren443
05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I would look on my car to try and help, but it has the antenna in the windshield....LOL

LMAO. Mine too... But I am trying to recall my days as a first gen owner.

Josh69
05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I remember pulling the old wire out and it seemed real logical at the time so I didn't think much about it. Doh.

I have my kick panel off and was looking around with my flashlight under there and didn't notice a hole with a grommet. Must not be looking hard enough...or smart enough. There is a hole for access to the door hinges, and a hole for the door jamb switch...was wondering if it came though one of those and that's why I didn't see it.

dipren443
05-18-2010, 04:14 PM
It is far higher than the jamb switch if I remember correctly.

Josh69
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Found it! Doh. Pretty much right in the open.

Thanks guys. I will retreat back to my corner. Lol.

John Wright
05-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Found it! Doh. Pretty much right in the open.

Thanks guys. I will retreat back to my corner. Lol.
Cool deal....:smoke: