PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro side markers

custom69
08-27-2004, 06:34 AM
I have a question maybe a stupid one but I do not know much about welding but I have some sidemarker lights for a 69 camaro that would require me to cut some metal out of the fender and rear quarter panel but also on each corner where a sidemarker will go there will some filling in that is about 1/4"x1/4" on each corner where a light will go. So do I try to fill this area in with some welds then grind done or would it be best to try to cut a little peice out and weld in or is this impossible to do since it is such a small piece to weld in? If any one needs anymore info let me know your email address and I will explain more. I hope this is not to confusing but it is hard to explain without drawing it.

Thanks,
Custom69

MrQuick
08-27-2004, 07:00 AM
That was me getting driving directions from a mime.. :lol: ..about the same reaction here. j/k I have found (and Im sure it will spark debate) it easier to fill the whole section with a larger peice then cut out the section that you need cut out. Reason for that is when filling a smaller peice you may create more heat then necassary and warp the panel.I would cut a peice to fill in the hole that is there then cut out what you need for the lens housing. But thats just me...the same guy that would ask some guy dressed in black with his face painted white who was apparently stuck in an invisible box for driving directions.... :hammer:

custom69
08-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Sorry that was so confusing but it was hard to explain, I was thinking that way but was wondering if it could be done another without filling in the hole. This is why I like this site because of the people here know what and what not can be done before I do something to screw up my parts. Sorry again for being so confusing.

Custom69

MrQuick
08-29-2004, 10:38 PM
No I was being sarcastic( as usual) no need to apologize cause im dense.he he But you can do it with out filling the hole completly just be very carefull with your temps. TIG would work best. let us know how you do! :jump:

Jim Nilsen
08-29-2004, 10:50 PM
In 1968 it became required that all vehicles after that date have side marker lights.

If you had ever lived through the early 60's you would realize the need for side marker lights. Cars were broadsided regularly at intersections until they became standard. It is something you can live with and has compelled me to to put lights on my 67 that will be like having sidemarker lights if I can.

This is not a local law but a federal law.

Jim Nilsen

custom69
08-30-2004, 07:02 PM
I am planning on keeping the sidemarkers but I plan on modifying the original one to something different. I do not know when I will get to doing them but will post pictures when I do. It may be a while since the money is tight right now but I am sure glad I found this sight to help on my ideas on how to do my 69 camaro.

Thanks,
custom69