PDA

View Full Version : SSBC Proportioning valve in to 69 Firebird

Poochie
05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi all.

I'm down to the last bits of my brake upgrade with my '69 Firebird. I have the Touring Classics front and rear disc kit installed. I am going from the supplied master cylinder to the original distribution block, and then (for the rears) to an SSBC proportioning valve. This is where I'm having difficulties.

The SSBC comes with adapter fittings to go from the 1/8" NPT ports on the unit to 3/8 inverted flare. The line on the car for the rear brakes is 1/4" tube with a 7/16" nut on it, which obviously doesn't fit. So, does anyone know if there is an adapter I can get to mate these up, or am I going to be forced to cut the end off and put a 3/8" nut on it then re-flare?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Ken

gort69
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi all.

I'm down to the last bits of my brake upgrade with my '69 Firebird. I have the Touring Classics front and rear disc kit installed. I am going from the supplied master cylinder to the original distribution block, and then (for the rears) to an SSBC proportioning valve. This is where I'm having difficulties.

The SSBC comes with adapter fittings to go from the 1/8" NPT ports on the unit to 3/8 inverted flare. The line on the car for the rear brakes is 1/4" tube with a 7/16" nut on it, which obviously doesn't fit. So, does anyone know if there is an adapter I can get to mate these up, or am I going to be forced to cut the end off and put a 3/8" nut on it then re-flare?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Ken

I used an SSBC valve also, and it came with the same fittings (that didn't fit!) You just need to locate new fittings that go from 1/8" NPT male to 1/4" SAE inverted flare female, and pitch the ones SSBC included. They are out there. I believe mine were made by Dorman. A well stocked hardware store should have them. Use teflon pipe dope on the 1/8" NPT male threads.

EDIT - Found my receipt. Edelman #124420. $1.11/ea. Looks like Schucks/Kragen/O'reilly or whatever it's called should have it.

Apogee
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Like Al said, swap out the adapter fitting, not the tube fitting...besides, you can't get a 3/8-24 tube nut for a 1/4" tube as it doesn't exist.

Tobin
KORE3

Poochie
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Like Al said, swap out the adapter fitting, not the tube fitting...besides, you can't get a 3/8-24 tube nut for a 1/4" tube as it doesn't exist.

Tobin
KORE3

Oops, didn't even think about that. Now the challenge of finding these adapters in Calgary.....

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cheers,
Ken