PDA

View Full Version : Finding settings on 12 way adjustable shocks

Jasons72
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I bought a set of used QA1 front shocks for my nova, the problem is that i don't have a clue as to where they were set and i don't know how to find full soft or full hard because when you spin the dial it will spin infinitely and doesn't stop. Now that i've messed with them i have no clue where they are and don't know how to get them to the 50/50 that i want to set them at. Can anyone help? Does it just stop adjusting one way or another when you take it past 12 clicks in a given direction, so if i turned it 20 clicks for soft will turning it back towards harder one click start tightening it back up? I'm lost!

Yelcamino
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
It sounds to me like you've got some bum shocks. I have QA-1's and they have very definitive stops on both ends of the adjustment range.

Bryce
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I vote broken. Maybe QA1 can fix them.

Rick Dorion
05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Yes, there are definite 'clicks' you can hear/feel.

Jasons72
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
They click fine, and they do tighten and soften up, there is just no stop at the end of 12 clicks.

mrn2obelvedere
05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I just purchased new AS1 shocks at all 4 corners. I can say definitely that they have stops on the adjusters.

If I were you I would send the shocks to QA1 for repair.

Of course you could simply put the shocks on the car after first setting the shocks at full stiffness and then work from there, but if you ever get "lost" on your adjustments it will be a pain. Or course you have no way of knowing how this problem affects the performance or consistency of the shocks. Also I can tell you from my limited experience with adjusting these it is easy to get "lost". Basically every time I adjust them I adjust them to full stiffness then count clicks from there.

Jasons72
05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah i'm going to send them back to QA1 for repair. Only one of them tightens back up, the other stays at full soft for the rebound. Both compress as they should and the car rides like a dream with the 650 lb springs on the soft setting but I'm not sure when i'm going to have the money to have them rebuilt since i have no idea how much its going to cost.