PDA

View Full Version : Billet Specialties Tru Trac Serpentine Belt Accessory Systems

jakespeeds
08-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Has anyone had a chance to look or try one of these yet. I know the Vintage air unit is the popular one but I like the look of this unit a bit better.

Jake

c.schulz
09-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Take a look at the new PHR mag this month for a write up.
Chris

Richz68
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
:secret:

I'm pretty sure that Kris Horton is using this set-up on his SEMA Chevelle project. You might want to send him an email or private message...

jakespeeds
09-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanks,

I am emailing with him right now about doing my Nova so I will ask him the next round of emails. I have gotten too install them on two different cars so far and thought they were a well built. The reason I had asked is that I have never touched or seen in person the Vintage Air unit. But everyone seems to lean that direction over the Tru-Trac. I wanted too see if matbe someone had some failures with the Tru-Trac.

Jake

Richz68
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I know this is an old posting, but I thought I would mention that there is now an alternative to the Tru-Trac & Front Runner that is MUCH less expensive. :secret:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/2023/

:icon996:

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Doesn't seem "much less expensive" especially since it isn't even a serpentine system.

steemin
09-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I have the Billet Specialties Tru Trac system installed on my 65 Mustang Fastback "Quicksilver".
The car is not on the road yet (soon).
The system looks great and according to the builder Jason Huber
from G Force Designs Concepts (board member Datsbad) it is a high quality piece and a straight forward install.
If you have any questions I am sure Jason would be happy to answer them. You can e-mail Jason @ [email protected]

Scott

Richz68
09-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Doesn't seem "much less expensive" especially since it isn't even a serpentine system.

Ryan,

I'm not real good at Math.... but at $565.00 less than the Tru Trac system w/PS I would say you will have a nice chunk of change to spend somewhere else on the project. The AC Comp, Alternator and PS pump come from the exact same suppliers.

With a V-Belt system you don't need to worry about an idler or tensioner pulley or a reverse rotation water pump failure or finding them on the road if they fail. The Hyperdrive uses is a standard rotation "short" style water pump, which is much more affordable & easier to find if you should need to replace it.

With a V-belt you will also have two belts powering your water pump and cooling system if one should fail you have a back-up built right in. Is one belt really what you want just for ease of installation? Do you really think it "cleans up" your engine bay over the Hyperdrive?

Maybe I'm missing something :hmm:

Marty G Cars
09-12-2005, 04:37 AM
Detroit Speed shows the small block Front Runner set up w/chrome pulleys and machined finished brackets for a price within $100 of this v-belt design offering. I have the Front Runner setup on my 638 Camaro and I am looking for an alternative setup for my 68 Camaro but I do not see any desirable advantages of v-belts over serpentine. I feel the tru track design does look a bit cleaner and I have seen it installed on a couple of vehicles now, but it certainly does have a higher price tag.

The market is wide open for someone to come in with a budget alternative SERPENTINE system of brackets and pulleys. I'm sure that some may bite on the v-belt pitch, but the trend is to modernize with the simplicity and reliability of a single belt serpentine set up.

bowtie55
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I just finished installing the hyperdrive system, very simple everything fit perfect. The craftsmanship is second to none, beautifully made. An excellent alternative to a serpentine system. The advantage I see is on a Ram jet crate motor, there is no belt crossing the front of the intake. I've heard guys make the argument that when you lose a serpentine belt you lose everything. But, I think today both systems are built to last. I sure am happy with this system and it saved me several coins. I mean this kit came with everything. Compressor, alternator, water pump, ps pump, belts, bolts and brackets. All made a nice neat package in the front of my engine. This would work especially well were someone is pressed for space. I'll be on the road with this system soon. I'll let everybody know how it works.

HLSASS
09-14-2005, 09:18 PM
very well made, fit like a glove. See attached.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

dgumoe
09-15-2005, 05:04 AM
I just shipped a TBI Hyperdrive to a customer. I could not believe the quality of craftsmanship and machining on that setup. It truly is a less expensive alternative to the front runner. There is nothing wrong with a V-belt setup as long as the pulleys are properly aligned and you have proper tension. With a Hyperdrive system, those two issues are definetly handled.

KUL FIR CHICK N
09-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Bowtie, you should be in sales......or are you? Where are you located anyway?

bowtie55
09-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Kul,

No salesman here. Just like to play with cars. I'm in Illinois.

bowtie55
09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
I have to agree with dgumoe, They've made a real quality product. I believe this whole v-belt/serpentine belt is just a matter of preference.There are a lot of good set-ups out their. Just depends on what look your after,or what you think will look best with your system.

I'm trying to send some pics, but it says the files too big.

MuscleRodz
09-15-2005, 09:14 PM
GM has a cheap serpentine retrofit system that is basically what is installed on some production vehicles. Jegs, Summit and others carry it. I have never liked the S&P high mount setup or Concept one setup with manual adjustment rods. They tend to have premature belt failures. A properly build serpentine with a factory style tensioner should outlast any miles ever put on these toys. My truck has 200K+ with one belt change and never a failure. I can't say that about any v belt system I have owned. V-belt systems still work fine but are extremely out dated.

Mike

low64
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
for the system in the picture how much does it run ?

ProdigyCustoms
01-05-2007, 03:58 AM
couple grand depending on the exact system for the exact application. if you need a hard price let me know.

low64
01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
1964 impala chevy 283 .want ac compressor,alt,steering,any other option they may offer?

low64
01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
how much for the one in pic?

PRRC
01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
we can do the Billet Specialties tru-trac with ac and p/s for 2037.75
without ac with p/s 1657.75
let us know if we can help.
Tim

BonzoHansen
01-07-2007, 07:44 AM
GM has a cheap serpentine retrofit system that is basically what is installed on some production vehicles. Jegs, Summit and others carry it. I have never liked the S&P high mount setup or Concept one setup with manual adjustment rods. They tend to have premature belt failures. A properly build serpentine with a factory style tensioner should outlast any miles ever put on these toys. My truck has 200K+ with one belt change and never a failure. I can't say that about any v belt system I have owned. V-belt systems still work fine but are extremely out dated.

MikeUnless you are into bling factor, you can cobble the same setup from a 3rd gen or truck for under $200 everyday.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/IMG_3113_Acc01-1.jpg

For this I paid $100. I got a water pump off the shelf at the local parts house (so I see no problem getting one n a pinch). Came with alt/ps pump/AC. I got a air pump delete pulley for $25. I still need to clean the AC & alt, but the brackets blasted nice.

Bigblue73
01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
For the Mopar guys....Billet Specialties just introduced a tru-trac system for the small block Mopars. I think they have all the makes covered now.

ProdigyCustoms
01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
They do, even LS1.

jy211
01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I have it on the 68' camaro and the 63' Impala wagon were building. I've sold many of them locally. Well worth the price!!!

low64
01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
ttt

Carver67
02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry if I missed this detail but I was curious if all of the systems you guys have mentioned use a standard rotation water pump or would I need to buy a new reverse rotation pump. I'd hate to take off a (relatively) new $100 pump if I don't have to.
-Mike

Billet-Specialties
09-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Has anyone had a chance to look or try one of these yet. I know the Vintage air unit is the popular one but I like the look of this unit a bit better.

Jake

Here is look at how easy this system is to install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyqkVFcvJWM&t=214s

Contact us with any questions at [email protected]

Chuck0379
02-25-2018, 01:01 PM
brought back from the dead.... Here's mine, and love it. Much better the my old March serpentine setup.

Anthony k
08-05-2018, 03:15 AM
brought back from the dead.... Here's mine, and love it. Much better the my old March serpentine setup.

What set up is that? And how much was it? If you don’t mind me asking.
I have a big block with serpentine belts, kinda just cobbled together. But it works. Now that I want AC, I’m looking at how to make it work and yours looks good!