PDA

View Full Version : stereo adapter for DIN headunit??

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok. I've done searched for this off and on since I bought my car in 2006 and I've seen it discussed many many times (not just this forum) I've never seen an answer for any install kits or otherwise that can be modified to make a modern DIN headunit look good in a cut dash.

My problem is that the DIN headunit only needs about 7" in width but the center dash trim panel has an 8.5" wide opening.

I thought tonight I finally stumbled on an install kit that I could cut up and adapt but it turned out to be only 8.125" wide so I'd still have a gap.

I've also asked people every time I see a car with a nice plastic trim piece adapting the DIN stereo to the stock location and each time they have no idea where the part came from.

Looking for ideas or answers please!

Ash
05-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Found this, if it helps at all. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3016. I think it's eluding to the Volvo panel in here :https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3016.

There is also a "COMING SOON!" dash bezel on this page
http://www.musclecaraccessories.com/products.htm

A Repr bezel, Fiberglass, plastic welder, sand paper, etc. may be in order to get themodern OEM look. Possibly relocate the A.C. to the bottom and stereo to the middle?

(not to be a link whore, but surprisingly, slim pickings for your car on this subject)

CarlC
05-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Hey Chad,

Yeah, very slim pickings.

If I ever re-do the dash in the Camaro I will likely ditch the head unit. I never use it for anything besides an interface for the Ipod. The Ipod can be directly hooked up to an amplifiers low-level inputs and work just fine.

67rstbkt
05-05-2010, 06:27 AM
You could get creative and make something. ABS plastic can be purchased at a plastics supplier and is easy to work with and shape. 1/8" should work for your purposes. You can use a razor blade to score and cut it, a heat gun to soften and shape, and you can even use sandpaper. If you don't like the texture, sand it down and paint it. Give it a try, you never know what you may come up with.

Chad-1stGen
05-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys,

I remembered the vovlo guy from way back but have never found that kit. I went through all 402 kits available on crutchfield.com yesterday and didn't see anything based on the small pics they have. One thing I didn't realize is that the volvo kit guy used a piece of ABS plastic in addition to the kit which is what I was thinking last night.

Today I'm gonna see if I can find some plastic that matches the install kit I bought last night.

I hear you carl about the ipod thing. That is exactly how I've done our boat stereo for the past 2 years. The boat stereo is over 1300 watts of RMS power, 3 amp system, that sounds great without a head unit. In fact the money I saved on the headunit I spent on a speedcontrol system that reads engine RPM's and automatically raises/lowers the volume. so when your rider falls and you idle around to pic em up people's ears are not blasted.

Alas, in the camaro I do use the radio and cd player occasionally.

ROBS6T8
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I've been toying around with making my own.

67 455 Bird ragtop
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Check out this site www.humount.com I have one in my 97 GTP and they are very nice. I plan to see if I can make it work in my 67. Then have them make one for it.

hessdawg
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
the kit that i have used is the metra volvo kit on the 67-68 camaros as well as a few other cars. normally you flip the kit upside down
metra Stock No. 99-9222
Volvo Multi-Kit 1975-1993

Racerxtx
10-26-2010, 11:28 AM
You could also check out http://www.crutchfield.com for a kit.

BuzzKillian
10-26-2010, 12:47 PM
How does this strike you?

Chad-1stGen
10-26-2010, 01:03 PM
I've been meaning to post an update on this forever.

The biggest limiting factor I encountered in this was the width of the opening in the stock trim piece. I ended up using two pieces to make it work. I found a flat trim ring that would cover the wide opening just barely. Then I used I believe a blazer piece that I significantly cut on to fit the car and account for the slope of the dash.

I will try and post details and pics next time I'm in front of the computer. I was happy with the results.