PDA

View Full Version : 55 Chevy Pro-Touring Update

69LS1SixSpeed
05-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Attached are some pictures of my other car project car that I'm getting ready to paint. The paint is 12 years old and at one time looked great. It's Black PPG Urathane and it's starting to crack. Now it's decision time concerning how much do I tear it down to have it painted not to mention finding a reputable paint shop to perform the work. I'm also thinking about changing to a lighter color (Black is beautiful when it's clean which is about 30 seconds!). I'm leaning towards a BMW Sterling Silver color as the car has a "Euro" look to it.

DJ Mabe
05-01-2005, 08:11 AM
That's one of the baddest 55's I've ever seen. As you know if you're changing colors you going to have to take it down pretty far. You should have a lot of good guys around your area to put some paint on the car. I have been out of the area for a while but let me know if you need some help finding someone. I can go back through some of my old contacts. Also, this forum has a handful of guys from Charlotte that can probably help you with that also. Good luck, the car is beautiful.

USAZR1
05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Very nice 55 you have there. Why the Texas plates?

Ralph LoGrasso
05-01-2005, 10:57 AM
That's one of the baddest 55's I've ever seen.

I was thinking the same. Beautiful car!!

SatisTraction
05-01-2005, 11:24 AM
nice car! what is that intake? it looks like a tranny pan

Steve Chryssos
05-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Great car. The wheels add a european influence so I would fint the right european color. Something like this would work great.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

69LS1SixSpeed
05-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Very nice 55 you have there. Why the Texas plates?
Houston is where I installed the 1990 C-4 Corvette independent suspension in 2000. I had it up on blocks to take some detailed pictures of the installation. I moved to Charlotte in late 2001.

69LS1SixSpeed
05-01-2005, 03:14 PM
nice car! what is that intake? it looks like a tranny pan
Yes, it's a B&M deep sump trans. pan....I got bored with the conventional air cleaners so I decided to build something a little different. It does result in a lot of head scratching, questions and puzzled looks!

69LS1SixSpeed
05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
That's one of the baddest 55's I've ever seen. As you know if you're changing colors you going to have to take it down pretty far. You should have a lot of good guys around your area to put some paint on the car. I have been out of the area for a while but let me know if you need some help finding someone. I can go back through some of my old contacts. Also, this forum has a handful of guys from Charlotte that can probably help you with that also. Good luck, the car is beautiful. Thanks for the nice comments! I've had the car 11 years and have changed everything on it during that timeframe.....except the paint. I kinda loss a little interest in the 55 as most of my time is spent on the 69 Camaro LS1 conversion. Hopefully, some new paint will peak my interest again!

Kenova
05-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Yes, it's a B&M deep sump trans. pan....I got bored with the conventional air cleaners so I decided to build something a little different. It does result in a lot of head scratching, questions and puzzled looks!
:lmao: Cool sense of humour, I love it. I'll bet you hear a lot of so called experts telling their buddies what it is. :hmm:
"yeah, it's a double throwdown tuned ram intake. B&M tried to break into the induction business and this was their first manifold. Most of the sanctioning bodies outlawed them, which is why you don't see many and why B&M stayed away from intakes." :screwy:
As for your paint, the black looks great, but I hear what you're saying about keeping it clean. I think a dark blue would look good.
Ken

zbugger
05-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Way cool car. I bet that would look awesome with some new 'Vette mirrors on it....

Rybar
05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Love your car, that thing looks killer.

I would go with the two-tone paint. Maybe black & silver. I always thought the two-tone suited these cars the best.

I love Bel-Airs that would be my next project after the '69

69LS1SixSpeed
05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Love your car, that thing looks killer.

I would go with the two-tone paint. Maybe black & silver. I always thought the two-tone suited these cars the best.

I love Bel-Airs that would be my next project after the '69
Thanks for the comments! I was looking at your site and "Ditto" on your 69 Camaro! Is that Candy Apple red paint?...looks great!!!! I also noticed the 20" rally rims on some of the pictures. Who is the manufacturer on these wheels/web site? They looks great on the 69's in your pictures.

Concerning two-tone paint.....I have been day-dreaming about a gray to charcoal color combined with a silver but I don't want to do the traditional Bel-Air paint color separation via the side trim. I love the looks of the early Camaro's / Chevy II's etc. with the two tone paint schemes divided by a thin different color strip separating the two colors (no side trim). I have yet to figure out how that would look on the 55 with the Bel-Air trim which I don't want to take off the car. Has anyone seen a 55 with a non-traditional two-tone paint scheme while utilizing the stock trim on the sides of the car? I'm trying to visualize that look in my mind but nothing has clicked yet

Rybar
05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments! I was looking at your site and "Ditto" on your 69 Camaro! Is that Candy Apple red paint?...looks great!!!! I also noticed the 20" rally rims on some of the pictures. Who is the manufacturer on these wheels/web site? They looks great on the 69's in your pictures.

Concerning two-tone paint.....I have been day-dreaming about a gray to charcoal color combined with a silver but I don't want to do the traditional Bel-Air paint color separation via the side trim. I love the looks of the early Camaro's / Chevy II's etc. with the two tone paint schemes divided by a thin different color strip separating the two colors (no side trim). I have yet to figure out how that would look on the 55 with the Bel-Air trim which I don't want to take off the car. Has anyone seen a 55 with a non-traditional two-tone paint scheme while utilizing the stock trim on the sides of the car? I'm trying to visualize that look in my mind but nothing has clicked yet

Thanks on the compliments as well. My paint is a Candy Red with a silver base. Looks alot better in person. As for my friends cars, they got the 20" ralleys from wheel vintiques. I would call them and ask.

For your Bel-Air I was thinking the traditional two-tone scheme, I love the way they look like that. I can't really visualize them done two-tone otherwise. Maybe Chip Foose Or Boyd Coddington have done some that way. I'd search the web or check thier sites.

nitrovette
05-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Great looking 55,nice job.