PDA

View Full Version : What did you use to wire your gauges in?

Rileys68Camaro
04-30-2005, 04:15 PM
I have the 5" speedo and tach in the dash, and I'm looking to put the other four either under the dash in panels or fab up a console style mount.

Did you use the Painless gauge harness? I have the Painless gauge harness and it wires up just fine to the Painless dash harness, but doesn't reach where I need it. How did you extend the wires for the length?

dennis68
04-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I always make my own gauge sub-harness'. It only takes a few hours and comes out much nicer than the generic stuff.

BTW, much cheaper too.

Rileys68Camaro
04-30-2005, 06:01 PM
What wire did you use? Whose connectors? I've thought about ordering up some stuff from Painless and doing that.

yody
05-08-2005, 12:30 AM
get your wire and stuff from terminal supply, much cheaper, i think the GXL or something like that is the good wire. if you go back a few pages, on one of my project updates, i had a post that showed my guage wiring

dennis68
05-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Sorry, I seem to have missed this one. Yodi is correct, just pick some supplies from one of the thousands of suppliers around the country. You really only need about 5 different colors of wire, 18GA should be plenty. I like; 12V-RED, G-BLK, LIGHTS-BLUE, TACH-GREEN, and SENDING UNITS-ORANGE. You can crazy and make each sender it's own color for tracing problems later, just means you have to buy more wire.

Stay away from solderless connectors, use a good crimp and solder technique, and they will last forever.

Rileys68Camaro
05-08-2005, 02:35 PM
yody,
Your car is sweet!! Although, from the pictures I've seen your're pretty brave working around that nice paint job.

Thanks guys!

What solder should I use? I know not acid core but other than that I don't know. Recommend a solder iron?

zbugger
05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I used the Painless harness on my dash. It just made it easy for me. I did have to wire in another guage and that wasn't difficult at all. Yes, I could have made the entire harness myself, but I've been known to be lazy. I've attatched pics.

Rileys68Camaro
05-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Duh me, maybe I could use that, but just run the few extension wires from the main to the guage harness...

My guages are set up with the Speedo and Tach in the dash, and the 4 others will be mounted on the lower edge of my dash or in a homebuilt console.

This place is the best!