PDA

View Full Version : Cowl hood/Air cleaner seal contact question...

intofx
04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello,

Just bought a 69 RS camaro with a steel cowl hood. The previous owner has a demon carb (750) and the stock cowl hood intake with the rubber seal. The modified spacer ring that was between the carb and air cleaner assembly was too short (and smooshed as a result of the cutout for the choke arm) and was causing the choke to hang up on the edge of the air cleaner assembly. So, I've put a taller spacer in which solves the choke issue but when I close the hood I can feel slight resistance of the rubber seal making contact with the underside of the hood. The hood will close with no real issues other than a little pressure from the rubber seal. My question is how much contact is too much? Obviously the seal is much "better" than before but I don't want to cause any further issues if there should only be light contact.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

LS6 Tommy
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
That sounds about right to me.

Tommy

Jim Nilsen
07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
You can sometimes get the car up in the air and with mirrors or a good digital camera you can see up in there and see what it is doing. I like using the camera and taking as many pics as it takes to see all sides of what is sealing and when. This is how I made my cowl seal fit right.

It sounds like you are right where you want to be. How much does the hood shake? Can you feel the engine rev with your hand on the hood? these are good test to know if you are too tight.