PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ed Miller Brackets

Brick on Wheels
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I've tried emailing and calling Ed Miller about his brackets, but have received no response. I hear he is usually busy, hopefully he's still around.

I want to verify that these brackets allow the use of the C5 rear parking brake. I believe I have seen others on here use this style of brackets with the brake, but I have assumed things in the past and been wrong. Can anybody tell me for sure?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/C5RearConv_jpg_w180h135-1.jpg

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i76.html

modular93fox
04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
they should, I remember this post as if I looked at it yesterday... heres the linky
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154237&page=4

clint

Brick on Wheels
04-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Awesome link, great how-to info in there. Thanks!

John Wright
04-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Those look like the C5 brackets....can't tell for sure from the pics.....here is a pic of the C5 with ebrake stuff that I put on my car awhile back.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/DSC02805-1.jpg

Samckitt
04-26-2010, 04:30 AM
I wonder if that includes the b@sturd flange on the G body 10 bolt rears?

radback
04-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I've tried emailing and calling Ed Miller about his brackets, but have received no response. I hear he is usually busy, hopefully he's still around.

If you want your parts this year, forget about him!
This guy wasted my time for months before letting me down.
He's a big joke, absolutely unprofessionnal.
I strongly advise you to not trying to buy anything from him.

You should contact Tobin from Kore3: very professionnal, parts are top notch, like his advices.
A nice guy to deal with.

online170
04-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Ed is a stand up guy to deal with, but unfortunately i think hes bitten off a bit more than he can chew.

Hes just a regular joe, who designed and fabricated these brackets to fit late model stuff on early model cars.

Its not his full time job, and the word spread that his product was easy to bolt in, so hes getting lots of orders that he cant fill.

Hence the type of responses you see above. Hes on 3 boards that i know of, and that seems to be the general tone.

John Wright
04-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Ed always came through whenever I dealt with him. He's taking care of his real job and putting in lots of hours, so the parts may be a bit slow in coming...but my car isn't setting any build records so it didn't matter to me.

Brick on Wheels
04-26-2010, 09:03 AM
I hate to hear about the negative experiences, but it's too late now- I've already ordered the kit. I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Hopefully he's got one in stock and I can get my beast back on the road soon!

86Cutlass383SR
04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I've ordered from Ed and would not hesitate to do so again. Between working a regular job, doing R&D on new products, and dealing with customers, yeah, I'd say his plate is full.

The parts and service along with the advise he's given me were top notch.

I'll give Ed Miller my vote, too.

radback
04-26-2010, 01:03 PM
When a guy postpond a delay (he fixed) at least 3 times in a row, to finally tell you months later, to go check elsewhere, that's not what I would call someone pro.

I don't care if he's got something else to do in his life, that's not a customers problem, if he can't run properly a business, just don't do it, that's simple!

This guy wasted months (and I mean months) of my time, telling BS about delays he can't honour, lie after lie.

I just want you to know in what mess you'll get involved doing business with this *@X%°#
And what a pleasure it was to deal with Kore3: that's a real pro!
Make the good choice...

WS6
04-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm still patiently waiting on Ed for my C5 rear brackets for my 79. It's been two months now easily. It's not really been a problem for me since I'm so slammed with school. However, it could become a problem quickly if I get this job I interviewed for. The car will have to be mobile before I leave.

For the fronts I went with Kore3. Tobin was fantastic to deal with. My lack of funds prevents me from going with Tobin's rear C5 kit.

Brick on Wheels
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree 100% on the positive comments for Kore3. I have dealt with and purchased from Tobin and was amazed at the great service and quality parts. But like WS6, I simply could not afford the $700+ for the parking brake setup. It just wasn't in my budget. That's why I was hoping to try Ed's kit.

modular93fox
04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
If someone could get me some measurements, I could get pieces within about 2 weeks from my cutter at a great price.. The problem is I dont have any c-5 parts. All i know is the c10's axle pattern, the camaro 10 bolt axle pattern, the c-5 3bolt wheel flange pattern and thats about it.
The measurements I would need are the thickness' of the:
Main axle bracket, probally 1/4 or 3/8 thick (would not cause any caliper offset, looks 1/4")
Caliper to main axle bracket spacer
Backing plate spacers - confirmed at 5/8"
Center to center of caliper mounting bracket
Center of the caliper mounting bracket to axle flange center
o.d. of axle tubing on the inboard side of axle flange
o.d. of axle tubing on the outboard side of the axle flange

or if anyone lives in houston with a axle assmebly out / or one lying around I could borrow for a while untill I get all of the measurements. Hopefully that person would have a caliper and rotor to use :)

I've got a late model camaro rear caliper backet I could get measurements off of but if someone had it hand and could pm me the information that would be super.
clint

modular93fox
04-28-2010, 05:21 PM
I wipped up a quick drawing file and then turned it into a 3d version.
I dont have a printer nor the bracket here to compare the center bore to axle bolt pattern. The center bore is centered between the upper 2 bolt holes and then centered between the 2 left/right bolt holes. If there is any offset either direction, I would have to correct the file. Maybe this weekend I will print a template and try it out. All holes were threaded to 3/8x16 in the drawing. I think the factory axle flange threads are fine thread, so that could be changed no problem.
With the bracket shaped like this and 1 pc, it would not be necessary to have a "gasket". The center pilot hole of the OE backing plate was like 3.xx and the spacer in the picture would seal. However, he stated that a washer/spacer was needed to get the backing plate where he wanted it.. so no biggie either. This design isnt as material efficient as the original design, but this would be pretty solid, but might be heavy... design could always change if it ever left the "paper space" stage.

clint

CliffsBlueCamaro
06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Does anyone have any update on Ed's brackets? Is he still making them?

PonchoJohn
07-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Mod93- Did you ever try anything out? I have all the parts to mock it up-- If you're interested in me trying it out, PM me.

modular93fox
07-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Ive got the design in autocad laid out but I dont have a f-body diff and parts to play with. It would be difficult to have someone else try out the design and tell me if it works.. but finding a friend of a friend that has a spare f-body diff is not likely either... lol. I will go to the bone yard tomarrow if it doesnt poor down like it has been the last few days.. see what they have to offer.