PDA

View Full Version : 70 Formula 400

HUSTLESTUFF
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I picked up this car about a year and a half ago from a Father/son project after the son wanted a newer mustang. Dad was a city mechanic and did a pretty good job of getting it mechanically sound. Car needs cosmetics including engine compartment cleanup, but it runs and drives great.

I'm a diehard Mopar guy, but have always liked the 2nd gen Firebirds. I can remember, as a freshman in high school, the senoir with the BadAzz white and blue Trans Am.

I'm currently building a 69 PT Charger, but caught the bug for auto x and HPDE from Mary Pozzi at Mopars at the Strip.

I needed tires to pass tech and thought a wheel upgrade would be nice. First auto x is tomorrow in Anderson, Ca. I have to go slow with this car to get my Charger, but will spend a little each month on this car. It will eventually go to my 1/2 brother.

I liked the minilite look and went with VWW's and Kumho 275/40/17. After a few beers put on a Gumball as well. Need to redo it to fit the car better, probably a 17" gumball and cleaner numbers. Also put in solid bushings. Need to change some fluids before tomorrow.

Next up will probably be some Corbeau seats, followed by rear suspension.

Thanks to Keith Smith at CustomWorksProducts for his help.

68firebird
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I really like that year firebird, have fun running her at the auto X.

srh3trinity
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
That is sweet, it has a great vintage racer style look to it, and the gumball is cool. Good luck at the auto-x tomorrow.

CruizinKev
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
nice project! looking good! :twothumbs

HUSTLESTUFF
04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
I had a great weekend autocrossing the firebird. I was able to install the CustomWorks 2G bar, the solid bushings and change the PS, brake fluids, oil and put on a clean air filter. I drove about 50 miles to Anderson where Trinity Touring had set up a course at the fairgrounds next to the circle track and signed in. I entered it in ESP. I let Keith Smith from CustomWorks drive so he drove in modified.

I found out the biggest weak spot in the car so far. Peg Leg. Kevin and I striped the coarse on the hard right hand turns. Took a few miles off the new Kunhos.

I had a blast and beat Keith's time in my car. Slower is faster. Here's a few pics and a video if I can post it.