PDA

View Full Version : Need pad recommendation - '69 Camaro, stock front discs

oestek
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey all,

My neighbor has a '69 Camaro with a stock front disc setup and a GM late rear disc swap kit. Nothing exotic. The car only sees weekend ice cream shop runs, no tracktime, no drag strip, just local and country cruising.

Anyone have a recommendation for front pads that grab without being heated up on a track? Don't care about fading or repeated stopping, just something that will grab on the first stop better than it does now. I'm guessing he has low-dust million mile pads now, as they begin to grab after about the 5th 30-0 application.

What he has is in proper order, no air in lines or warn out parts, I just think the pads could be better.

If it were me, we'd start over on the brakes and put a decent modern brake kit on the car with a hydroboost, but he's not ready for that and likes his 14" rallys.

Thanks!

6'9"Witha69
04-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Hawk HPs or Porterfield R4S

oestek
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Nick, I'll check 'em out!

TnBlkC230WZ
04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
The Porterfields will need some warm up to achieve full braking. I've run them on my Mercedes. Look for pads that meet EU R90 standards and you know they will work cold or at Autoban speeds. I like the EBC yellow stuff if you are willing to spend for Porterfields. EBC Ultimax may be a better choice for trips to the ice cream shop.

I run yellow stuff D52 pads on my Nova and they work as good cold as they do at track temps. They will dust a little though.

Wilwood Tech
04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Before your neighbor buys new pads, he/she should make sure that the current pads are properly bedded-in. The vast majority of modern brake pads are what is referred to as an adherent type of pad. The pad is designed to transfer a layer of pad material onto the rotor. When a sufficient and even layer of pad material is adhered to the rotor face, the pad material on the rotor, interacting with the similar material on the pad, creates the most efficient friction mechanism. It can have a dramatic affect on brake performance. Go to http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPadBedTip.aspx for bedding procedures.

oestek
04-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tip, but I think these pads / rotors have several thousand miles on them, so I think they're way bedded by now. But you're right, you can't expect top performance on the first stop after install.