PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank for Twin turbo

DButler
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM
I am installing a twin turbo setup and my fuel tank is a problem. Im not sure if this post goes here if not I am sorry. My problem is I don't have the money right now to buy a high dollar stainless tank so I have to make my old one work right now. Well its not old it only has bout 1700 miles on it, but I need to use it. So is my only option welding a sump in it? I have a BG400 pump and filter just trying to get my tank to work right. Can I or can I not leave my fuel sending unit in the tank and just cap the line off to make my fuel gauge work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

mnm99
04-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Car?
If your building a twin turbo I'm sure you spent some money already. You could cap off the fuel lines on the sender. Look into Glenns performance tanks. By the time you have the tank cleaned , welded, buy the sump and seal it your up there in price. I have a 68 Camaro and the tank cost $380 complete.

DButler
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Its a 67 camaro sorry. $380 is not bad, I was looking and it was around $600 I thought, anyways I have spent a ton of money and thats the problem lol I will take another look at Glenns to be sure I didn't overlook something. I appreciate the help. thanks

shmoov69
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
I sumped mine, but i bought a new stock one for cheap. Built the sump, hole sawed the area below the sump for a "baffle" of sorts and capped the factory line. Seems to work fine. Can't help you on welding on a used tank tho! My grandpa used to do it by just hooking up a hose from the exaust of a tractor blowing inside the tank. Never blew him to smitherines! Lol

DButler
04-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Thats what I have read many other places is to hook up and exhaust pipe to it. How big was the sump you built for yours?

DButler
04-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Also what did you use to seal your gas tank?

mnm99
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Also what did you use to seal your gas tank?

Check out Eastwoods tank sealer kit. It's around $50.

John Wright
04-26-2010, 09:33 AM
To seal off your factory lines....crimp the lines flat and then silver solder(use something like the 15% silver solder) them closed. Works great if you get it clean (wire brush to bright metal) and use a paste flux.

DButler
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok, I work at place where we do metal fab so I made me a sump on cad and sent it to the plasma table to be made. I made it a 6" x 10", that's 2" deep. I'm going to weld it in, I think this will be as good as anything that can be bought. I just hate being able to see a sump, but thats the only option I have. Now where do you guys recommend mounting the pump? I have BG 400 pump and its faairly big, any good suggestions as to where you guys would mount it where its not noticable?

shmoov69
04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
My sump was about that size, but angled up on the sides and not straight sided. I did not use a sealer inside the tank, was I supposed to? I got an A-1000 pump mounted beside the tank and it barely fits, I would guess you will have to mount yours inside the trunk or possibly in front of the tank, but that will be tight for sure.

turbo kid
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
I used a kit from a company called tanks. I just cut a hole in top of my stock tank and installed there kit. No welding required!

mnm99
04-27-2010, 03:55 AM
My sump was about that size, but angled up on the sides and not straight sided. I did not use a sealer inside the tank, was I supposed to? I got an A-1000 pump mounted beside the tank and it barely fits, I would guess you will have to mount yours inside the trunk or possibly in front of the tank, but that will be tight for sure.

I would have. After you welded in the sump you have bare metal in the tank that can rust out.

mnm99
04-27-2010, 04:01 AM
I used a kit from a company called tanks. I just cut a hole in top of my stock tank and installed there kit. No welding required!

Is this the one? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm
What did you do with the fuel sender?

DButler
04-27-2010, 04:26 AM
I also made it taper to nothing on the end. As far as the pump goes I am just not sure where to mount it I guess it is going to take some thinking. I am going to look into the tanks company and see what they offer before I weld it in. As far as my return line, did you guys just return it straight back to the sump or did yall return it to the top of the tank? I heard of it being done both ways.

DButler
04-27-2010, 04:33 AM
After looking at the tanks website, I don't think those pumps actually have enough volume do they or am I wrong? i seen the psi was there, but that's not what I am worried about as much as volume since mine is blow-thru?

DButler
04-29-2010, 07:02 PM
i wonder how well it would work if you took and knocked the 3/8" line out of the sending unit, drilled the hole bigger and ran the 5/8" line through it and laid it on the bottom of the tank. It wouldn't seem to starve for fuel unless it was terribly low. I wonder how the sending unit would work? Any comments

John Wright
04-30-2010, 03:41 AM
I've heard of guys using a piece of exhaust tubing for the pickup tube's sock to lay in and it acts like a baffle of sorts when you close up one end. Also heard of folks doing just as you stated about drilling out the 3/8" hole to a larger diameter and soldering in a larger pick up. The person I heard of used 1/2" instead of 5/8"...but it's the same idea.

DButler
04-30-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work. Does anyone see a potential problem here? See any reason why it would cause the car to lean out unless you were almost out of fuel? Just a few questions, I hate the way a sump looks so I wanna explore every option, but if a sump is the best and only way to go that's what I will do. Just wondering about this idea.

DButler
04-30-2010, 04:18 AM
I also thought a bout doing this and then adding like a canister of some sort between the pump and the tank to act as a catch can to hold ever fuel. Just another idea.

DButler
05-20-2010, 09:18 AM
I decided to go with a sump. Thanks for the input.

TheKingOTW
05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Check out New Wave Fabrication, http://www.newwavefab.com/auto.html

Paul at New Wave does a great job making custom tanks. I had them build my tank, which is 26 gallons and has a custom sump. There awesome and very reasonably priced. I had them build my tank in aluminum.