PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Smoking?

TheRoaringEagle
04-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I drove around today. I parked and came back. Started my puppy up and it started smelling. I noticed a slight burning smell before but this time it was strong. I never smellt this type of burning before (meaning it's not oil or fluid or usual stuff that could burn)

It looks like my alternator is the culprit. But I just replaced it two weeks ago with a rebuilt one. It's rated at around 60 amps while my old one before was at 90. Is it just a faulty rebuild? Or could I have done something to make it go bad, like having too much tension on the pulley or over revving the engine. (Over revving to me is past 4K RPM) Maybe bad wiring?

Any ideas? I'm getting a Painless 18 circuit direct fit soon btw.

gmachinz
05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I had a similar problem about a year ago. I made an adjustable heim-end bracket so I could mount a 140-amp 6" case alternator and I did not have the belt tight enough. I ran the shortest v-belt possible to avoid jumping pulleys when I would step into it but I didn't realize how much tighter the tension needs to be between pulleys anytime you significantly decrease the distance between pulleys. Anyway, I starting to notice a faint burning smell but could never find out what it was. :dunno: Finally after a week or so, my ignition suddenly started acting up and my volt gauge dropped to 0-I broke the damn alternator belt. So, I put another one on and after only 10 minuted idling, the belt began to smoke right on the alternator pulley! The belt tension was okay I had thought but it was sliding around the pulley more than it was grabbing it and turning it. I He-Man'ed the belt tight with only slight tension and I haven't had the problem since. -Jabin

CoryM
05-01-2005, 09:26 AM
If its not the belt slipping it sounds like your alternators regulator is kaput. They will then charge at full output and burn up. Either that or your 60A alternator isnt enough to run you car and is working too hard anyhow. Too much tension on the belt will make the bearings scream, 5000rpm is no big deal assuming you have the factory sized pulleys. Get an AVR tester on it. You could even just use a voltmeter and see how many volts its putting out. It should be 14.5V or so, any more than 15V and its probably killing itself.
Cheers.

TheRoaringEagle
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
sigh... well does the mounting angle have any effect on the alternator? it could slightly be angled out to the left on the driver's side. the bracket on the bottom to the headers has two offset bushings on the front bolt and the rear bolt has nothing, creating a wedge.

my car was dead the next btw. the battery is completely drained and i strongly think the wiring issue has caught up with me. it's really awful. i ordered the painless direct fit and will start redoing the whole system on thursday. the battery is great i think so all i'll need to do is charge it. i'm not sure yet if the alternator is fried yet but we'll see. the the tension on the belt should be good though, if not too tense.

thanks

CoryM
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Incorrectly aligned alternators makes for burned up belts (if they dont fling off at 5000rpm) and/or worn alternator bearings. Sure sounds like your alternator fried. Have you converted to a internally regulated GM alternator or?

TheRoaringEagle
05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
it's just a regular 3 wire gm delco 60 amp... so it's already internally regulated right?
how would i find the right alignment? i mean... how could i measure angle. i really wanna get a serpentine setup but that's way off my budget and won't happen for a long time. but i want to get my alternator situated sturdy and steady. would swapping a long water pump and the associated 69-up brackets with v-belts in be a waste of time and money? i think that setup is so much cleaner and stronger looking.

CoryM
05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
it's just a regular 3 wire gm delco 60 amp... so it's already internally regulated right?

Yep

how would i find the right alignment? i mean... how could i measure angle.
Well generally you just use a straight edge and lay it across the crank pulley and it should contact both sides of the alternator pulley. You can also hold a laser pen in the groove and see where the dot is but the straight edge is best. It doesn't have to be TOO precise, but you do want it pretty close or you will fling belts and wear things out.

i really wanna get a serpentine setup but that's way off my budget and won't happen for a long time. but i want to get my alternator situated sturdy and steady. would swapping a long water pump and the associated 69-up brackets with v-belts in be a waste of time and money? i think that setup is so much cleaner and stronger looking.

Take a look at http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
They have some pretty solid steel brackets that are very affordable. Much easier to buy from them than fab up your own stuff for simple things like that. Looks like their mid mount alternator only fits long pumps though so hopefully you will find something that fits your application. I have used a couple of different kits and they all fit nicely except for a slight application error (said a 78-79 p/s pump would work but only pre-77 did).