PDA

View Full Version : more Musclecar Challenge info

bret
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
All:

After reviewing the various comments posted on the Pro Touring and Lateral G forums it seems the main concerns are as follows:

concerned about driving skill
concerned about being slow or looking like a novice
concerned about hurting their car
Too little track time for the time and expense required
No reason to go /nothing to see if you are not racing
Driving Distance
Hopefully the information below will address some of these concerns:

Mothers Car show – We know there are lots of guys who have a keen interest in this kind of event but don’t want to subject themselves or their car to an all out track assault...slow, fast, or otherwise. The car show portion of the MMC is designed to give hotrodders a way to participate without putting their car on the track. Pre-registering for the MMC car show gets you a goody bag [with all the swag inside!] 2 Flowmaster RibFeast meal tickets, and a prime parking spot while you are watching the track activities. Although there won’t be any “trophies”, we will select 5 cars from this group to be featured on the Mothers Car Show that is being filmed at this event!
Bowler 99 Mile cruise – The only performance criteria for this segment is that you drive your car from Putnam Park to the Flowmaster Ribfeast to demonstrate that you actually have a street car and not a race car. There is no time criteria and the points award is minimal. If you break something at Putnam Park, trailering your car to RibFeast will only impose a minimal penalty.
BFG Hot Laps Road course Segment

Tire rules – We understand that this is primarily a street car event and that the drivers have limited on-track experience, especially with sticky tires. That is why we have decided to have everyone run a 200 treadwear tire [or harder]. We feel this provides the best chance for “mainstream” street cars [driven by non-professional drivers] to exhibit their cababilities safely.
The runoff area is large, flat, and grassy to make even to most inexperienced hotrodder comfortable with pushing their car and themselves to go a little faster.
Novice run groups – There will be 3 run groups at the MMC – Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced. You can indicate which run group you prefer when you pre register . That way you will be combined with people and cars of similar experience and speeds so no one gets run over…or unnecessarily slowed down.
Track time - As the day goes on [and people inevitably drop out to rest their cars or themselves] we may combine some of these run groups and/or allow people to change run groups to increase your track time potential. If every run group is filled [and stays that way all day] you will get at least 6 sessions of 15 minutes each. Lap time at Putnam Park is approx. 1:30-1:40, so each session will get you around 10 laps. Shorter sessions are easier on the car and the driver, and allow ample time to rest and make vehicle checks and adjustments.
Timing runs – For the Road course portion of the event, we are providing transponders for each participant to offer accurate, reliable lap times. We will record all of your laps with the fasted lap determining your ranking at the end of the day. This way you can spend most of the day practicing/tuning/learning to drive without the pressure to make every lap count.
Spectre Top Speed Challenge – During the BFG Hot Lap sessions we will be recording top speeds for the Spectre Top Speed Challenge.
RideTech Street Challenge Autocross Segment

The autocross track will be approx. 50-60 seconds long for most cars. You will likely use 2nd and possibly 3rd gear on this course, and reach speed of up to 60 mph in some spots. The runoff area is huge so you’ll be able to let it hang out without fear of running into anything solid.
We will be able to run 2 cars on the autocross at the same time so you will get LOTS of track time here. Again, every run will be recorded with your fastest time determining your final ranking, so there is no pressure to make every lap count. Theoretically, if the full roster of cars makes every lap you should get 12 runs in that day. In reality, it will likely be closer to 20 runs because not everyone will want to run every time it’s their turn. You will get a time slip for every lap so you can tune your car and yourself.
Baer Brakes Speed-Stop Challenge

The format will be as follows:

Accelerate from the starting line for approximately 800 feet to the brake zone marker cones
Stop within the confines of the 40 foot long x 20 foot wide stop box.
The object is to get to the stop box [and stop within it] as quickly as possible. This will be a test of both your acceleration abilities and your braking abilities. Think of it as a drag race where you have to stop completely within a designated box! Each participant will get as many runs as time allows to optimize their times.

Awards – The RideTech Street Challenge Autocross and the Baer Speed Stop Challenge will end at 4:00 CST. We will have an awards ceremony at 5:00 CST so everyone can get an early start for home and enjoy the rest of the Memorial Day weekend.
In addition to the segment winners we will crown an overall Midwest Musclecar Challenge “King of the Hill”. In addition to the product prizes this person will receive a beautiful lettermans jacket with the MMC logo on the back and their mane and date on the front so you can show off your accomplishment to all your friends!
General information
· Trailer and RV parking – both Putnam Park and the Lawrenceville Mid America Airport have plenty of trailer and RV parking. There will be no overnight parking at the Putnam Park facility but camping WILL be allowed at Lawrenceville. The airport also offer secured trailer parking for Saturday night. There are NO RV hookups or dumps at either facility.
· Consessions and bathrooms – There will be GOOD food available at both Putnam Park and at Lawrenceville. You are certainly welcome to bring your own, but if you don’t, we won’t let you starve! Putnam Park has nice restroom facilities and trash containers. We will have a good supply of CLEAN port-a-johns at Lawrenceville.

· Optima Invitational – The Midwest Musclecar Challenge is a QUALIFIER event for the year end Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational. ONE vehicle will be chosen to represent the MMC event at this year end invitational. It will LIKELY be the overall winner, but only if the overall winner has not already qualified, AND is willing to make the commitment to travel to Las Vegas in November to participate in this televised event.

You DO NOT have to make yourself eligible for the Optima Ultimate Streetcar Invitational to participate in the Midwest Musclecar Challenge. It will have NO effect on the scoring or the outcome of the MMC event at all. It merely provides an OPPORTUNITY for you to be included in Las Vegas event.

Remember the goal here is to have fun with your family and your car. Going fast is optional, and but a happy coincidence!

Oh, yeah...here is how to get signed up...http://www.midwestmusclecarchallenge.com/?page_id=13

JEFFTATE
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Love it Bret !!
We can all add some of these ideas at future events ..
Thanks for supporting the hobby and lifestyle..
Thanks for all the hard work and planning..

bret
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Lots of behind the scenes planning on several peoples parts...Jim and Wally and their staff from FM3 MArketing, along with Mark Bowler and myself have a weekly teleconference as well as dozens of emails throughout the week. I also have my website and marketing guys who create the graphics and such. The comments from everyone here have been invaluable. I think we'll learn a lot at the Face Off event and the Mitty next weekend as well. Of course, for next year, we'll [hopefully] be ever so much smarter and better prepared:)

shmoov69
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
If I preregister and something happens (like kid sick, car broke or whatever), is there any refund on the cash? Or is the money just out the window?
Thanks again, this sounds pretty dang cool!

bret
04-23-2010, 07:45 AM
If I preregister and something happens (like kid sick, car broke or whatever), is there any refund on the cash? Or is the money just out the window?
Thanks again, this sounds pretty dang cool!

Good point...had to confer on this one.

If you cancel UP to 5:00 pm EST May 21 [1 week before the event] we would refund 50% of your entry fee. After that we have to finalize commitments for trandsponders, food, staff, etc. and would be unable to make any refund. However, we would have no problem with you selling your entry [at whatever price] to someone else and making a name change at the event. Of course they would have to fill out the appropriate paperwork...the sooner the better on that.

Hope this helps!

shmoov69
04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks man. I will discuss this further with my wifey and make a decision soon!

ProdigyCustoms
04-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Awesome Adjustment Bret.

"Track time - As the day goes on [and people inevitably drop out to rest their cars or themselves] we may combine some of these run groups and/or allow people to change run groups to increase your track time potential. If every run group is filled [and stays that way all day] you will get at least 6 sessions of 15 minutes each. Lap time at Putnam Park is approx. 1:30-1:40, so each session will get you around 10 laps. Shorter sessions are easier on the car and the driver, and allow ample time to rest and make vehicle checks and adjustments"

That should really excite people worried about getting only 3 laps. Sounds like now doing touring type laps one can really get some time under their belt.

Damn I wish I was not in the middle of every project. I will be there, car or not.

wicked68
05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
my size tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=315/&ratio=35&diameter=17

that leaves me one choice.

So now I have to go buy a new set of tires for the rear for this one event?

not trying to be a pain but it seems like every event now is requiring their own set of tires and I have so many sets now that are still good but none will work - I have 3 sets of drag radials a set of r1s from vegas that are still good and a set of front proxess tq's and a set of front bfgoodrich street tires.

This is getting crazy.

do you have any other suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z&partnum=135ZR7HTRZ&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

It would be great if you would allow this tire - its affordable - has good reviews and I think will be fine - but its 160 tw. most performance tires are going to be this treadwear and lower - unless of course if you drop down to 245 and below there are a ton of options - just not in the 300 and wider range.

If you guys can allow this tire - that would make up my mind to come up.

wicked68
05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
bump - bret ? ? ? ?

bret
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
We have had much discussion about tires over the last 2 years. I am truly sympathetic to your tire size problem.
The tire rule has been changed, tweaked, modified, and at various times, ignored.
Every racing association or competition body that I am aware of has some sort of tire rule. Ours is a 200 treadwear.
I wish I had a better answer for you but any other path would open a whole new set of problems for all the other participants.

DLinson
05-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Nitto also makes two tires in the 315/35R17. I just purchased some for my Nova to compete in the Optima Faceoff. I went with the NT05 with the 200 tread wear rating. The handled great compared to the Summitomos with the 160 rating. I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct online. I got them in three days.

I'm hoping to make it to this event but I'm installing a new fuel pump and plumbing. I also messed up my tank so I have to try and fix it. If I can't I'll have to build a new tank.

Dennis

wicked68
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Nitto also makes two tires in the 315/35R17. I just purchased some for my Nova to compete in the Optima Faceoff. I went with the NT05 with the 200 tread wear rating. The handled great compared to the Summitomos with the 160 rating. I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct online. I got them in three days.

I'm hoping to make it to this event but I'm installing a new fuel pump and plumbing. I also messed up my tank so I have to try and fix it. If I can't I'll have to build a new tank.

Dennis

thanks for the info dennis - these look pretty nice.

certainly more affordable then the goodyears!

team 68 chevelle
05-12-2010, 05:56 AM
any information for near event hotels? we will be arriving on the 28th

shmoov69
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I'll try to remember to see where my wife has reserved and let you know. I'm not sure where everyone else is staying on the list from the website.

bret
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Both locations are small towns...the hotels listed on the musclecar challenge website are all close together and of about equal quality/price. I hear they are starting to fill up...not just with our event but also with general Memorial Day traffic.

shmoov69
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
for us:
Friday night Super 8 in Cloverdale, IN
Saturday night Comfort Suites in Vincennes, IN

garner67
05-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks like a great event that I'd love to participate in when it's in my area. I really like how you've combined open track, autocross and a car show all in one event. My biggest initial concern was with the limited track time for the expense, but it seems like you have addressed that issue.

When do you think you'll have an event in the Northern Cal area?

bret
05-14-2010, 06:29 AM
We may have the opportunity to offer trained driving instructors at the Putnam Park venue. Anyone interested in some qualified driving instruction in their own cars?

shmoov69
05-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes!!!! I'm definately interested!
I have rooms reserved, but not officialy signed up because it has been raining for a week since I got the Camaro put back together. I want to drive it a bit to make sure it is fixed before I commit.
But I do plan on coming.

GRNOVA
05-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Count me in!

66SuperSport
05-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Bret

I would definitely like to get an instructor to ride with me on the road course. Count me in for sure!

team 68 chevelle
05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
2007 mustang?? whats with that

bret
05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Since we have opened up the event to all year American musclecars the Mustang is definately eligible to run. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how our old iron stacks up. If past track events are any indication the older musclecars will do quite well!

team 68 chevelle
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
dissapointing...to run against modern "muscle" the intial rules stated 1978 older one of the reasons we signed on. I have a full air ride set up and believe in the product after a 4000 mile rally but not against a 2010 camero, mustang etc which Im sure will sign up next.

GRNOVA
05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Game on!

jknight16
05-17-2010, 02:50 PM
If there had been enough old cars signing up to pay the bills I'm sure they wouldn't have opened it up. If we have to rely on the late models to keep these events going until the classic car guys get their acts together (i.e. Get their cars finished and have enough budget left to travel for an event), so be it.

Bret, you don't have to confirm or deny if that was the issue with this event, it doesn't really matter. If it isn't the case for this event, it might be for the next one.

DLinson
05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Check out the results from the Optima Faceoff event. The only advantage they had was the Speed Stop challange. The G8 won with the ABS brakes but not by that much. Brian was in second with his 71 Camaro and Jeff was third with his Tempest. Baer Brakes split up their contingency program to seperate they ABS and non-ABS cars.

On the track and the autocross, Kyle and Brian were at the top with their second gen Camaros.

There was a Corvette, a couple BMW's, a nice 2010 Mustang, etc. I was surprised how well I did relative to them. And who's going to vote for a new car in the show/design award? They want to go out and have fun too, they just don't have their old cars completed yet.

I wish I could make it but I have issues with my fuel system now. POR 15 gas tank sealer pealed off the inside of the tank and plugged up my fuel line messing up my pump. I'm making a new gas tank since I can't clean all that crap out of there, not to mention the new fuel lines, filter, and pump.

Anyway, I'm shooting for the Motor State Challenge up in Michigan.

Dennis

Finch
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I say bring it.....

tazzz25906112
05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I say bring it.....

Now that's the stuff,,,, you've got the right attitude Brian. People seem to overlook our cars and also the drivers in them. Yes some of the new cars can be seriously fast,,, but so can we and some of us know how to drive them to the edge... Will the new kids on block know???? Guess we'll see....

shmoov69
05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I ordered a set of tires today. Still waiting for no rain and me be off work at the same time so I can drive it a bit more. That way I'll feel good enough to register. But I do have rooms already!

New cars, old cars? It don't matter to me as long as they're muscle cars! Heck, mine will be slow enough that a Pinto will prolly spank me!

tazzz25906112
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Jimmy, just enjoy the ride bud..... The company at these events makes up for any driver or car short falls and by 11pm in the bar Sat night,,,,, You'll own the fast dam car east of the Mississippi..... Just ask anyone there, you'll get the same response ROFLMAO

Join in on the fun and don't worry about the rest...

GRNOVA
05-18-2010, 02:29 AM
I cannot wait for this event!

bret
05-18-2010, 05:56 AM
If there had been enough old cars signing up to pay the bills I'm sure they wouldn't have opened it up. If we have to rely on the late models to keep these events going until the classic car guys get their acts together (i.e. Get their cars finished and have enough budget left to travel for an event), so be it.

Bret, you don't have to confirm or deny if that was the issue with this event, it doesn't really matter. If it isn't the case for this event, it might be for the next one.

Paying the bills is always a consideration in whatever endevour, including this one. But in reality, we had several inquirys about bringing later model cars...Malibu's, Mustangs, Camaro's, and Challengers. After much discussion we decided that these are musclecars too, just newer ones.

I have always run onder 60's and 70's musclecars. In nearly every event that I have run in, we have run against newer Camaro's, Mustangs, etc. I've not seen one yet that I feel intimidated by. And I am NOT any kind of rockstar driver [ask Mary Pozzi...she left bruises on my right shoulder trying to get me to keep my friggin head up on the autocross!]. It is a LOT of fun to drive around a new car with a piece of 40-50 year old iron.

If you are concerned about not being able to compete against a newer car...know that the car itself is not neccessarily the advantage. We have seen this time and time again at other events. Probably the most extreme example of this was the 2010 Camaro that Paul Tracey [Indy car driver] drove at the Optima event in Vegas last year. Obviously Paul is a professional, and I saw him drive that car 11/10ths, but that car was not even close to being the fastest that day. The fastest cars were 40-45 years old with off the shelf parts on them.

At any rate...there is no way the presence of a newer car can diminish the fun factor!

JEFFTATE
05-18-2010, 06:12 AM
The older , classic musclecars usually stack up very well against the newer models..
I like seeing all the year models at the events ..
That way we get a true comparison...

perple76
05-18-2010, 06:41 AM
I guess I'm also inclined to put my 2 cents in on the idea of allowing "new" cars into the event.

For my part, I'm not too wrapped up in "competing" against newer cars. At other track days I've attended, this is common practice and really isn't that big of a deal. At the roadcourse especially, skill becomes the common denominator and a great deal of a newer car's advantages are neutralized to some degree. I've seen Honda civics, in the hands of a skilled driver, lay the wood down on Corvettes, Porsches, and other high end "muscle" cars. Even if the trophy was my motivation (which it is not), I don't think letting in new cars would diminish my chances, or anyone else's.

I am concerned, though, that by extending (or, in fact, eliminating) the cut off that some of the "flash" of this event has been taken away. Like some others have indicated, the fact that this was an "old car event" was my primary motivation for signing up - and I signed up very early. I do feel a little cheated that the rules were changed in mid-stream. Normally, I'm not a big fan of year breaks or cutoffs (mainly because I'm usually on the wrong side of the line) but in this case the cut off was what made the event special. I can go to the track and run with modern cars any weekend of the summer - running with old cars is something truly unique.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the economics drive certain decisions and the blame, if there is any blame, falls with our fellow pro-touring brethern for not signing up. I can only imagine how disappointed the event organizers have been at the low number of participants, but I fear that opening up the event in this manner may do more long-term harm than good.

Would I have still signed up knowing what I know now? I don't know for sure, but I certainly would have sit on the fence a lot longer - maybe even waiting to see what the weather was going to do. The fact that this was an old car only event convinced me to jump in at the very beginning.

All that having been said, I don't want my comments to reflect that I have some problem with new cars or that I'm going to turn my nose up at them - nothing could be farther from the truth. I love the newer muscle cars and will eventually own one myself. In truth, I expect most, if not all of them, to run circles around my "muscle car,". I have nothing against them per se, I'm just disappointed that the rules were changed in mid-stream, because my commitment to the event was in no small part based on those rules.

It's still going to be a great event and I'm going to have a great time, but I hope the event organizers read this and realize that their original decision to keep the event "old" was a good thing, even if the level of participation doesn't support it. I know the organizers will do their absolute best to ensure that we all leave with a smile on our faces.

Don't mean to hurt any feelings, but felt my .02 should be heard on this one. . .

J

shmoov69
05-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Is there going to be gas (good gas!) avaliable at the track?

tommycomfort
05-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Is there going to be gas (good gas!) avaliable at the track?

"Sunoco 104 Unleaded and 110 Leaded race fuel is available. It is sold before and throughout the day upon
request."

Pulled that information off the putnampark.com website.
Tom

shmoov69
05-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Awesome!! I drove the car a bit today......I'm in!!

jermsjunk
05-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I registered for the show only as I dont have a car to enter the compitition, only a cruiser 63 chevy truck. I registered before the April 1st deadline and have recieved no info or tickets. Do I just show up and tell them my name and they will have it on file or, or do I need tickets? Thanks

tazzz25906112
05-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Thats the spirit Jimmy,,, see ya there bud....

MonzaRacer
05-22-2010, 07:31 PM
dissapointing...to run against modern "muscle" the intial rules stated 1978 older one of the reasons we signed on. I have a full air ride set up and believe in the product after a 4000 mile rally but not against a 2010 camero, mustang etc which Im sure will sign up next.

WAAAA! Grow a pair. If any of my vehicles were able I would be there with bells on. Just to prove economy, scrape the barrel bottom for parts can be made to run.
As for the year change on rules, why should second gen Camaros be ran up to 78 but the 79-81 guys are out, same on Corvettes. A 78 Monte but no one could run a 87 GN, come on.
Now would this actually put the Dynacorn based "69" Fbody out.
Run what ya brung and hope ya bring enough, period.
I would have only been able to run my 78 C10 or my 77 Monza but truck hasnt got good tires and needs a carb, the Monza is waiting on Sealed Power to make the D@MN pistons.
AS for anyone who has Air Ride,they have a BIG advantage over other setups. when my truck was done in 04, I built it with parallel 4 link and panhard bar(soon to swap in a Watts link) and it will, with out real good tires hang with a friends, at the time, 01 Z28 with aftermarket suspension and F1 Goodyears.
After trying to get my back side up over the edge of a big hole dug with help of a bad employer and soft job market as the time,, I now have a 77 Monza, and an 84 Caprice 2dr, both I hope to have on air and both hard runners, on a budget.
Not to bash but if you dont want to see where you CAN run, sit on the sidelines, if you want a true measure, get into the fight.
Just my opinion, dont mean to hate or make anyone made,,,wish my cars, any one of them were running, maybe next year.

wicked68
05-23-2010, 05:58 AM
I am pretty sure I will be there with the Wraith mustang.

Playing it by ear until wednesday - I want to make sure my axels are good to go and they are not quite finished with them.

They are also adding my seat back brace as well.

The engine mods with turning down the blower and a few other tuning items all worked out well.

I am also upgrading my front suspension as well - replacing my current shocks / springs with a new set of double adjustable aldan eagles with 500 lb springs instead of the 400 lb ones with no adjustments that are on there now.

Turned out at 575 to the rear wheels which will be a lot more manageable on the track.

bret
05-24-2010, 05:56 AM
I registered for the show only as I dont have a car to enter the compitition, only a cruiser 63 chevy truck. I registered before the April 1st deadline and have recieved no info or tickets. Do I just show up and tell them my name and they will have it on file or, or do I need tickets? Thanks

We'll have your credentials and goody bag at the event. See you there!

dunnjun
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM

Sorry guys, "71 TA is in jail at G-Force in PA. I was just gonna drive up there and watch. But when they opened it up, I went what the heck I'll try. I've never been on any sort of auto track at all, so you won't have anything to worry about from me. I used to race mx forty yrs. ago though:). Bret, thanks for opening it up. I was getting tired of just reading about yall guys having so much fun.

Karl

JEFFTATE
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I want to come to this event sooooo bad !
But , I have been scheduled to work at the Dealership and no-one will swap with me !!

shmoov69
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Call in drunk!! Lol

tazzz25906112
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Call in drunk!! Lol

ROFLMAO drunk now that's good Jimmy

MIGOAT
05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm debating going. I want to drive my car but I'm a little worried about the 11hr cruise from NC to Il. I will make a new post in a minute but has anyone ever broke down in the middle of nowhere. I just want to have a back up plan. Any suggestions please advise. If it's happened what did you do.

JEFFTATE
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm debating going. I want to drive my car but I'm a little worried about the 11hr cruise from NC to Il. I will make a new post in a minute but has anyone ever broke down in the middle of nowhere. I just want to have a back up plan. Any suggestions please advise. If it's happened what did you do.

Hook up with Bill Howell in Pigeon Forge ...

JEFFTATE
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Are there any spots left ??

wicked68
05-24-2010, 06:24 PM

you can drive up with me. I am trailering with all my tools up on friday. I am leaving from atl so you can catch up with me in tn somewhere.

Maybe bill will meet us there as well.

Bill - when you guys leaving?

MIGOAT
05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not going to enter this yr. it would be pushing it but I'm going to try and get some info in the event of an unforseen emergency.

my directions have me going through WV so i might try and look up some info on going through TN to IN.
Thanks All

justimagine
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Are there any spots left ??

Yup - jump on the website and sign up!

tazzz25906112
05-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Just remember if you do break down U-haul rents pickups and car trailers cheap... You have no worries when on the road to an event like this because there are always options and friends....

Bill and the RatPack are always great friends and resources when **** hits the fan,,,,, we all take care of each other and you'll be fine on the open road.....

Of course if you can, Join Bill and the gang as you'll be in good hands and will likely have one of the better driving experiences of your life...... If you ask how I know, I was one of the founding members of the RatPack departing Toronto on my own to meet up with the guys in Pigeon Forge then headed out to SEMA last year,,,, Best dam ride of my life!!!!!

MIGOAT
05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm going man!!!! Thats the spirit hahah no kidding. I think she will be fine, man it's going to be awesome and I bought a helmet so no more asking to borrow a helmet. Hopefully someone can drive my wife around one time b/c she got scared the last time. I'm excited

shmoov69
05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
ROFLMAO drunk now that's good Jimmy

Or better yet, tell them you got a bad case of anal glacouma.

That you just don't see your ass going to work that day!

Stinkin car! It KNOWS I am going on a trip with it at the end of the week, so what's it do?!?! Starts screwing with me!! I tell ya, it is ALWAYS like this before a big trip! Has happened I think EVERY Power Tour (like 6 of em!), just to Jack with me and make me thrash at the last minute! Anyway, the oil feed line started leaking pretty bad and I had to make new hard lines. I hope that fixes it! And now I look under it and there is a big puddle of power steering fluid under it. I just rebuilt the freaking pump a couple weeks ago! I have it off and it appears that the leak is from the return fitting brazing. Which sucks because when we did the turbos, a buddy had to extend the tube and tweak the angle to clear the headers. And he has moved and I can't braze!
So off tomorrow to try to find someone that can do that!

BA.
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Hope you got yourself registered now!

See you there!

shmoov69
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Yup! Took the freakin p/s pump off again and had to replace the tank, again......but it did not have a puddle this am!! Woohoo!!

bret
05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
A few days ago we talked about professional driving instructors...

Dave Schardt from Forgeline has agreed to bring about 10 of his driving instructor buddies on Saturday to Putnam and offer professional ride-along instruction in your car for FREE!

Having benefitted from professional instruction [and still do at every opportunity] this is the single most effective way to make you and your car faster. You will be able to quickly identify the people who take Dave and his boys up on their offer...they will be in front of you!

If you haven't signed up...get it done...there are about 6 spots left. If you miss signing up on the website...come to the event and we'll get you registered there.

Fun awaits!

Finch
05-27-2010, 07:11 AM
A few days ago we talked about professional driving instructors...

Dave Schardt from Forgeline has agreed to bring about 10 of his driving instructor buddies on Saturday to Putnam and offer professional ride-along instruction in your car for FREE!

Having benefitted from professional instruction [and still do at every opportunity] this is the single most effective way to make you and your car faster. You will be able to quickly identify the people who take Dave and his boys up on their offer...they will be in front of you!

If you haven't signed up...get it done...there are about 6 spots left. If you miss signing up on the website...come to the event and we'll get you registered there.

Fun awaits!

I would like to have one of these guys ride shotgun for a couple laps to see where I need to focus.

Where does the line start for the instruction?

bret
05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
we'll have a sign up at registration. They won't be able to accommodate every person during every session, but you should be able to get at least one session in during the day, maybe more.

Like YOU need help! :) hehe...we have a special instructor for you.

shmoov69
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Ditto. Where do I sign up for that?!?

Edit, didn't see your post Brett

Bow Tie 67
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
@#$%%^$^ I wish I was retired.

69Myway
05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Or better yet, tell them you got a bad case of anal glacouma.

That you just don't see your ass going to work that day!

Stinkin car! It KNOWS I am going on a trip with it at the end of the week, so what's it do?!?! Starts screwing with me!! I tell ya, it is ALWAYS like this before a big trip! Has happened I think EVERY Power Tour (like 6 of em!), just to Jack with me and make me thrash at the last minute! Anyway, the oil feed line started leaking pretty bad and I had to make new hard lines. I hope that fixes it! And now I look under it and there is a big puddle of power steering fluid under it. I just rebuilt the freaking pump a couple weeks ago! I have it off and it appears that the leak is from the return fitting brazing. Which sucks because when we did the turbos, a buddy had to extend the tube and tweak the angle to clear the headers. And he has moved and I can't braze!
So off tomorrow to try to find someone that can do that!

Hey brother..I'm right there with ya. Got on this thing early on with plenty of time to get the car ready. Took it for a much needed dyno tune and blew the driveshaft on he first dyno pull due to "critical speed" failure. Tore the floor out, exhaust...etc. learned a lot about shafts, got a nice 3.5" from PST and installed. Found out the trans was whacked. Took the trans to the shop to get it rebuilt and shipped the tc to TCI to be checked. Got it all back last week and had it running on Saturday. Had a big fat happy smile on my face for about five miles...then I lost all but 1st and reverse. Yanked it out. Clock ticking. Just got a call this morning from the trans shop. Got the unit re-worked again and will be doing an all nighter tonight - then if it runs well I'll be headed over Friday night.

Ugh.....

We did come up with plan B thanks to the admission of newer cars. My wife has a bone stock 86 Vette with C6 wheels. We have it serviced and ready to go if the Camaro is still out of the game.

So...here is to all night thrashers. See you guys at the challenge one way or the other.

bret
05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
This is all starting to sound like the old Car Craft Street Machine Nationals. Anyone remember that event? I quit 2 jobs to thrash on my Mustang go to that event every year.

JEFFTATE
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I've got an 18 month plan to pay off my house.
After that , I'm rebuilding my car , finishing my garage , and going to EVERY event..!!

I'll have such positive cashflow !!

shmoov69
05-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Tick.....tick......tick........tick..........

The pump is fixed now and all I got to do is load it up and go and buy a camera tomorrow!

I'm anxious as all get out now!!! Nervous as to how the weekend will go, from the car, to the racing, to being "hooked", to the kids, to breakage and to the possible theft of things around Indy in a motel parking lot!

Still can't wait tho!

69Myway
05-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Hey Scmooooooov you are doing better than me. Got the trans back in last night and it is still acting stupid. Worked okay until it all warmed up. Now it won't upshift to 4th and stays stuck in 3rd unless you baby it and slow it way down, then it will shift up. I'm driving it (if it will go) to the trans shop so he can see what it is doing in the car. There is the small chance it is something in the valvebody electrically...or possibly the ECM, but the ECM doesn't make any sense. Either way I don't see how we'll fix it today. So I'll have plan B ready to get the wife's car topped off and ready in its place. Then when we come back next week I'll slide a stick of dynamite under this puppy and it won't be a problem any more.

tommycomfort
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Well, I just explained to the kids how I'm not really nervous, but just anxious about our first "track" event. Not really sure of the difference, but for their benefit I acted like I knew... This will be the first event for our semi-completed 66 that we have been working on for 8 years this weekend. Seems like everything we do on our punch list adds more things. I just hope we can successfully thrash the car this weekend and still drive it home. (if not, my brother-in-law is coming along with my truck and trailer)
:machine:

OK, I'm nervous! Hope everyone is happy, I admitted it!

69Myway
05-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Hey Tommy - did you see the up front piece in the current issue of PHR mag? J. Hunkins did a cool spot talking about doing these kind of events and the "fear" factor involved with doing it. I couldn't believe how good the timing was. Then, they have a road race tech piece in the body of the mag. Good stuff

tommycomfort
05-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Hey Tommy - did you see the up front piece in the current issue of PHR mag? J. Hunkins did a cool spot talking about doing these kind of events and the "fear" factor involved with doing it. I couldn't believe how good the timing was. Then, they have a road race tech piece in the body of the mag. Good stuff

I'll pick up a copy this morning!

Anybody going out tonight for the early registration at the hotel?

69Myway
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unreal - the problem was the Autometer Speedometer. The first rebuild was defective as it didn't have anything but manual low 1 and reverse after about 5 miles of running. However, once I put it in, it failed the same way it was BEFORE I pulled it in the first place.

The speedo was reading fine, but was sucking up the signal over about 40 mph and not giving a clean signal to the PCM. This caused it to show like 37 mph at 70 mph which is why the trans kept trying to downshift and wouldn't go into lock up. Autometer confirmed for me.

So, speedo unplugged - new transmission (that I didn't need anyway) and GPS to keep track of the MPH - car loaded and will roll over LATE tonight. Won't make early check in, but will be at the track bright and early.

shmoov69
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Awesome. Glad you got a new traney. LOL. Just went thru St. Louis. See you all in a bit.

69Myway
05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
WOW...just WOW. This event was the best thing I have ever done on four wheels! The cars...the people, the location(s), the food...the organization was unreal.

Met and made so many new friends, learned more about my car...and enjoyed seeing people put the pedal to the metal.

I was telling my wife on the way home that one of the things that made this so cool was the lack of old 50/60s music playing...and instead the full on loud and in your face constant sound of rubber and mufflers screaming. It was the best "MUSIC" I have ever heard. Not like a drag race where there are open headers and just noise, but pure beautiful tunes from the flowmasters and fully tuned street systems.

We didn't use up the car as hard as we could because we drove the whole way. Didn't want to break it, but we did get to abuse it plenty.

Track time was off the chart. Guys running until they just couldn't run anymore...and there was STILL track time left!

We ended up having a fuel pump fail on the way home and were very lucky to have it happen in an area where we could get to a parts store and get it fixed in the parking lot.

All in all - it was worth the price of admission...and then some.

Can't wait till next year!

I'll post some pics later...

shmoov69
05-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Best time on 4 wheels....quite possibly
best time IN 4 wheels..........well, running a strong top 5!!!! Lol

Good to meet you and your wife Chris. Awesome that you guys watched our ankle biters for us while my chic got to ride with me around the tracks, that was too cool of you!! My chic was scared to death around the road course for sure! Sorry you had trouble on the way home.......sorry I asked about your tank before you left!! Lol.

About the weekend.......well I have never been on anything other than a dragstrip before.......and well, it was AWESOME!!!!!! I'm hooked!!!! It was soooo cool!!! Great people, great food from Brett, very well orginized, great "door prizes", not too many cars that you had to wait forever, not too many cars that you were bored, fairly loose on tech and requirements, and probably one of the best things for me was the ride along instructors. They helped me learn very quickly as to what should have taken me many trips to the track to learn!! Awesome idea!!.....the whole thing was just AWESOME!!!
the only complaints from me were not enough shade for the kids and such, maybe a couple more big eze ups or something? And not knowing beforehand that the gas was $9 bucks a gallon! I wouldve done something different for sure on that, I ended up spending $160 satUrday alone. But that's just the way it is, so it's all good!

shmoov69
05-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Did I mention it was AWESOME?!???? Lol

dunnjun
05-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow!:seizure: pretty much sums it up for me too! This was my 1st racing event, and don't see how it can ever be topped. I met a lot of nice people, and made some friends. The people, that were running the show were very helpful and positive, even when I cleaned out a section of cones:pat:. It made a beginner feel very normal. It was a blast watching the fast guys battleing it out for top honors. They also had instructors to bring you up to speed. Thanks Jim! And A BIG THANKS to Ride Tech, Bowler, FM3, Baer, Forgeline, and the rest of the sponsers, for putting on such a professional and unbelievable fun event:worship::worship::worship:. I'm definitely hooked! Jimmy, how did the car cam video turn out?

Karl

Bill Howell
05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
:machine:

OK, I'm nervous! Hope everyone is happy, I admitted it!

You could have fooled me, I would not have ever guessed. The car looked great and performed great this weekend. Congrats on the performance.

69Myway
05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Putting together some pics on my webpage.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/05/MMCelement8-1.jpg

Here is shmoov69

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

shmoov69
05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Cool pics Chris, looks like I need a sway bar in the back too....looks like it has some roll!

I got home at 4:00 today and just got The yard mowed. Chic has been downloading the pics and video. The card got full and stopped recording during my speed stops, meaning than I did not get ANY auto X video!! Sucks!

Event was awesome!! I can't get the smile off my face! Lol

GRNOVA
05-31-2010, 08:07 PM
First off , Winning the speed/stop challenge was a mind blower after I just finished changing 2 head gaskets. A big congratulations to all involved in hosting this event. Ridetech, Bowler transmissions, FM3, and everyone who helped make my first event one to remember.
And secondly what a great bunch of guys to race and hang out with. Meeting Jimmy Spears and his wonderful family. Bill Howell and listening to him tell me my front wheel was off the ground on the road coarse. Also Brett, John, Bill, Jason,and Chad from Ridetech for helping me out.
Driving on Putnam road coarse was better than I could have imagined. The choice to have an instructor ride with you was a great learning experience. Thanks to "Iron" Mike for helping me get out of the park on time. I cannot wait for the next event! And meet more new people interested in the same addiction as me.
Here is a video of the straight at Putnam.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/th_IMGP0766-1.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn13/tnt342/2010%20MMC/?action=view&current=IMGP0766.flv)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

tazzz25906112
06-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Cool pics Chris, looks like I need a sway bar in the back too....looks like it has some roll!

I got home at 4:00 today and just got The yard mowed. Chic has been downloading the pics and video. The card got full and stopped recording during my speed stops, meaning than I did not get ANY auto X video!! Sucks!

Event was awesome!! I can't get the smile off my face! Lol

Jimmy I just had the feeling you'd be right into this this,, and as it turned out you did enjoy yourself a whole bunch... Glad the experience was great and look forward to meeting you up at Motor State in a few weeks hopefully...

shmoov69
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd love to do motorstate, but its too much for me now this close. I'll be looking into some of the others for sure!!
Sorry you did not get to make it, would've liked to meet you.

I may be hooked! Lol

wicked68
06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd love to do motorstate, but its too much for me now this close. I'll be looking into some of the others for sure!!
Sorry you did not get to make it, would've liked to meet you.

I may be hooked! Lol

nice to finally meet you in person Jimmy!

shmoov69
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
You too man, that is a Wicked car you got!! Glad you got it going again!

Mark -G-
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Greetings Motor Sports People,

Let me open with a helpful tip.

WARNING: ANY ALLERGIES TO FUN AND MOVEMENT OR MOTION WILL PUT YOU IN IMMINENT DANGER AT THE MIDWEST MUSCLE CAR CHALLENGE!!!

1. MMC is the Most Fun car event I've attended.
2. The execution, timeliness and professionalism is top notch.
3. There are a lot of opportunities to learn at all skill levels.
4. Location, location, location - meaning world class facilities.
5. Most fun car event ever, I brought a friend; next time I'm bringing 3 or more.

Who: Muscle car enthusiasts
What: MMC - its about action / doing the driving
When: June 2010
Where: Putnam Park IN / Mid America Air Center IL
How: Professional and intimate (close family feel)
Why: The Most Fun you can have with your vehicle is using it

Now that we have the short versions out of the way, let me tell you that the people running, helping, participating and sponsoring this event all had a major part in making it my best, most fun car event to date. At the road course you can expect the lead and follow laps; then go faster - that's fun. Then you can have an instructor ride with you and hear things like wider, deeper, smoother, late apex which helps you go faster = fun. Then you get more laps with that info. Then you can Ride with the instructors. This is better than an e-ticket ride at Disney. Then you get MORE laps = your fastest laps of the day ==More Fun. Please note this is just a small sample of the fun. I have not even mentioned the high speed challenge. Also note I have been to the Carolina's, Nashville and Memphis. The Ribs on the cruise are top 3. Day 2 is at an airport shut down for our use. How cool is that? The autocross course is the largest I have seen. 60-70 mph is more than possible on the back straight / kink. The speed stop was on the air strip. Who doesn't like a little drag racing with a twist. I ran this till the smell of clutch disc, brake pads and tire smoke blended into one fragrance of automotive bliss. There are a lot of stories over this event. Tim's troubles turned triumph, GT500 smoke and slide through the cones on the speed stop. The battle on the autocross went down to the last second between the leaders. Continuing to flog their machines and pushing themselves to put together the perfect lap. Capital letters and bold print don't do my excitement justice in trying to relay how awesome this event is. I hope the cameras caught as much as I did; it will be great tv.

In closing Thank You to the sponsors, I have asked the powers that be how I can help support this event. The response I received from Jimi was invite a friend and tell them if they don't have any fun you will pay the entry fee. He has never heard of anyone having to pay. I believe that to be true.
BFG - road course, Bowler Performance Transmission - cruise, Flowmaster / Ridetech - ribs, Baer Brakes - speed stop, Mothers - car show, Spectre - top speed plus others: Carbon Kustoms, Royal Purple, Holley and OPTIMA Battiers.

Final note again: Where can you do these things, at this level, with this support and facilities? Not to mention tv, magazine coverage, give aways and the trophies. The price is a bargain for track time alone.

Speak softly ....and drive a 6 spd stick..........See you next year (or sooner) Mark Golovin

shmoov69
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Amen!
What car were you in? I'm am wonderful with remembering names! JK. Lol!

GRNOVA
06-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I think he was in the 2000ish white Camaro.

GRNOVA
06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Jimmy, Motorstate?

shmoov69
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Nope, can't afford it! But I'd LOOOOVE to!! Maybe next year.

69Myway
06-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Guys,

I can't find the listings or actual channel that the event will be on. Can somebody direct me to where to find it? I know it is airing this weekend - but no idea where/how to view it.

GRNOVA
06-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Chris,
FSN-Fox sports network at 11:00 on Sunday. I think this is only on Dish or Direct Tv. I have Comcast and it does not show it anywhere.

69Myway
06-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Chris,
FSN-Fox sports network at 11:00 on Sunday. I think this is only on Dish or Direct Tv. I have Comcast and it does not show it anywhere.

I have DISH and just called them to upgrade me to FSN. They can only offer me Midwest FSN - and she can't confirm the challenge info, and I'm having a goofy time googling it. So...worst case I spend $10 on the upgrade...then down grade of additional channels.

If anybody has any more info - lay it my way.

shmoov69
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Can someone more technically advanced than me (um, everyone!) maybe save it and youtube it or something?

wicked68
06-20-2010, 04:25 AM
its not even listed on the national tv guide online for any of the FSN channels

Larry Callahan
06-20-2010, 07:37 AM
No luck on Time Warner cable

GRNOVA
06-20-2010, 07:42 AM
This is all I can find no help at all. guess I will just order the DVD for $25.00
http://www.masterstv.com/MothersCarShowSeriestv.html

Mark -G-
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Amen!
What car were you in? I'm am wonderful with remembering names! JK. Lol!
I was in the 2000 Camaro Convt. Silver. The pace was fast enough that I didn't get around as much as I would have liked. That is why the cruise was cool - still I will be workin on being more social. Thanks for the reply. Mark -G- Note 70 El Camino under destruction.

Mark -G-
06-20-2010, 11:25 AM
This is all I can find no help at all. guess I will just order the DVD for $25.00
http://www.masterstv.com/MothersCarShowSeriestv.html
I believe it is Direct TV with sports channel upgrades only. Which means I don't know anyone who has the option to view or record the show. Guess I'll be ordering a DVD also. Note: Hope you heard everyone applaud your efforts on MMC and getting the Nova running again. Awsome display of 3 wheel'n and slideways through the finish of the autocross. Later Mark -G-.

shmoov69
06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, it is on Direct TV here on channel 671, and my chic DVR'd it. We just got done watching it...well, it was really cool that it was covered, but there wasn't much to it IMO. It was sunday only with a couple shots of someones in car on saturday. Almost the whole episode was about the "show" cars and not the event...go figure, "Mothers Car Show Series"! Lol! Personally guys, I wouldn't spend the $25 on the video from them. Actually if someone could tell me how to put it on disc from the TV box, I'd do it for you.

Like I said, I am thrilled that it actually did get some coverage, but it just wasn't much coverage. Maybe it's because the event was so awesome, that the TV coverage was nothing compared to the event! Lol

69Myway
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
This is awesome - click on and turn up the speakers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZumEBym6BE&feature=player_embedded