PDA

View Full Version : de-arching leafs vs lowering block?

69projectKAOS
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
i want to lower the back of my 69 like 2 inches, what would be better de-arching the leafs or just using lowering blocks?? i am just doing this till i can afford coil overs. -dom

Gitter Dun
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
i want to lower the back of my 69 like 2 inches, what would be better de-arching the leafs or just using lowering blocks?? i am just doing this till i can afford coil overs. -dom

Depend on purpose of car. If you are going to do track/autocross I wouldn't use a block larger than an inch.

69projectKAOS
04-19-2010, 06:10 PM
not much track yet, the car still has a bunch to do before its a track rat but mostly for cruising and show-dom

Gitter Dun
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
not much track yet, the car still has a bunch to do before its a track rat but mostly for cruising and show-dom

Now you just need to be sure to avoid tire rub. I have 3" drop springs plus 1/2" drop body mounts. Make sure you keep even level with front. If you drop front I recommend minimum 450-500 lb springs 13" long 5" O.D.. Springs can be had for about $50 each.

69projectKAOS
04-20-2010, 05:44 AM
i have a set of the hotchkis 2" lowering springs for the front that i havent installed yet, but when i do install them i just want the back to be 2" lower too, what dod you think would be the better choice for me?-dom

justasquid
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd probably buy a lowering leaf spring kit like the one one hotchkis offers. A few good reasons would be, you would have all new stuff. Good mounts, good bushings..ect. Also, they are better than stock for handling. And, the best reason of all IMHO, anytime I put something on a car "temporarily", it usually ends up being on there a lot longer that I first thought. At least, thats what happens to me.

You might as well get a good handling package in case your coil overs take longer to add than you anticipate. And heck, depending on your goals, you may even be satisfied with the lower kit and not even want to go coil over. Plus, you could probably recoup some of the cost of the lowering spring kit by selling it when you do put on the coil overs.

Rod
04-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Just my opinion, but I'd probably buy a lowering leaf spring kit like the one one hotchkis offers. A few good reasons would be, you would have all new stuff. Good mounts, good bushings..ect. Also, they are better than stock for handling. And, the best reason of all IMHO, anytime I put something on a car "temporarily", it usually ends up being on there a lot longer that I first thought. At least, thats what happens to me.

You might as well get a good handling package in case your coil overs take longer to add than you anticipate. And heck, depending on your goals, you may even be satisfied with the lower kit and not even want to go coil over. Plus, you could probably recoup some of the cost of the lowering spring kit by selling it when you do put on the coil overs.

Ditto! squid said it well