PDA

View Full Version : Difference between LS1 and C5 front calipers

modular93fox
04-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, Im trying to piece together a front brake kit for my 87 Silverado and the original stuff I was test fitting so far hasnt worked out.
The first setup was 2003+ Dodge Ram 1500 13.2x1.10" rotors and dual piston calipers. Ive redrilled the rotors and turned down a new chevy rotor into a hub. With the spindle moded the caliper bracket has such an offset + the offset of the rotor ... no way for it to work. The offset of the rotor isnt a lot, but its more than a LS1/C5 rotor.
With the first attempt under the bridge, I was thinking about getting a LS1 front caliper. The stock LS1 rotor thickness (via alldata) shows them to be at 1.25" new, and the dodge's show 1.10"... The caliper should be able to cover the difference no?

After all thats been said... do the LS1 calipers interchange with corvette caliper? ... reason I ask is because LS1 cars are dime a dozen at the yards I go to, and if I can test fit and mock up some brackets that fit and function, I would like to do business with Tobin at Kore3... hes helped me out with some questions and has been more than helpfull.
Well thanks for the wealth of knowledge so far,
Clint

Tom Welch
04-17-2010, 05:27 PM
They do interchange, but they are supposed to be a weaker design. Why cant the Dodge set up be made to work? cant a bracket be fabbed to allow the parts to work together? Tobin is the man, by the way.

modular93fox
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
The dodge caliper adapter is too deep and the spread on the bolts are too wide. I dont have any measurements on the LS1 caliper mount adapter bolt spread, but Im positive its narrower. So the corvette is weaker design?
Thanks
clint

Vicinity
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
The dodge caliper adapter is too deep and the spread on the bolts are too wide. I dont have any measurements on the LS1 caliper mount adapter bolt spread, but Im positive its narrower. So the corvette is weaker design?
Thanks
clint

No, the LS1 (F-body) brakes are weaker. C5 brakes are much better, so much that LS1 cars tend to upgrade to C5 calipers to get better brakes on the cheap. And I can confirm, LS1 brakes aren't the best for stopping power. My 2001 had a hard time stopping with new pads and rotors. Don't let me dissuade you from getting the LS1 brakes, they may be a much better upgrade over stock brakes.

modular93fox
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
hurm... If others upgrade from LS1 calipers to the C5, i wonder whats the difference in the caliper mount... or the caliper. Reson I say that is becuase theres no corvettes at the bone yard, and if I can mock up a LS1 caliper to the spindle I have, awesome! I would feel much more confident ordering a pair of calipers from Tobin. No way would I drop that kinda dough without knowing the LS1 stuff would/could work...

Vicinity
04-19-2010, 02:21 AM
hurm... If others upgrade from LS1 calipers to the C5, i wonder whats the difference in the caliper mount... or the caliper. Reson I say that is becuase theres no corvettes at the bone yard, and if I can mock up a LS1 caliper to the spindle I have, awesome! I would feel much more confident ordering a pair of calipers from Tobin. No way would I drop that kinda dough without knowing the LS1 stuff would/could work...

You'll need an adapter bracket for the LS1 spindle.

modular93fox
04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Are the caliper bracket to spindle bolt hole spread the same?

ks71z28
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Actually the LS1 calipers have a much larger piston 1.75" 44 mm vs the Vette C5 which is 38 mm. The clamping force of the LS1 is about 25-30% more. I ran the LS1 calipers on a C5 rotor for a long time, and never had the spreading of the caliper issues, and I run the car in autocross and track events often. Also I am making conversion brackets and hubs for 2nd gen spindles, www.customworksproducts.com (http://www.customworksproducts.com)

modular93fox
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM
well when i mean spread, I didnt mean the bending of the caliper b/c of excessive abuse/use. I was meaning the to mounting points where it would bolt to the axle flange bracket, is the LS1 caliper adapter bracket the same as the C5. Or are the holes wider or closer in?

Vicinity
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually the LS1 calipers have a much larger piston 1.75" 44 mm vs the Vette C5 which is 38 mm. The clamping force of the LS1 is about 25-30% more. I ran the LS1 calipers on a C5 rotor for a long time, and never had the spreading of the caliper issues, and I run the car in autocross and track events often. Also I am making conversion brackets and hubs for 2nd gen spindles, www.customworksproducts.com (http://www.customworksproducts.com)

That may be true, and it may just be me, but my LS1 calipers felt like they were a slouch compared to the C5's brakes. Then again, it may have to do with the weights of the cars being different. Sorry for any misinformation.

ks71z28
04-21-2010, 06:18 PM
well when i mean spread, I didnt mean the bending of the caliper b/c of excessive abuse/use. I was meaning the to mounting points where it would bolt to the axle flange bracket, is the LS1 caliper adapter bracket the same as the C5. Or are the holes wider or closer in?
The calipers mount the same, but the abutment brackets are different. In the kit I sell, we use C5 abutements, and you can bolt the LS1 or the C5 caliper to it. Due to the larger caliper bore, maybe the master cylinder was too small or not enough volume, which made the pedal feel soft.

srh3trinity
04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the difference between the calipers, but I know that the f-body rotors were notorious for warpage. I know that mine warped pretty bad.

nullshine
04-21-2010, 10:58 PM

C5s are 38mm? All the information I've seen says 40.5mm...

The LS1 F-body calipers have twin-43mm pistons versus twin-40.5 for the C5/C6 and are gravity cast versus pressure cast, meaning they're less dense and more prone to spreading under use.

Apogee
04-22-2010, 07:44 AM
C4 calipers have twin-38mm pistons, maybe that's the source of the confusion.

Tobin
KORE3

Cannon
04-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I had a 2000 Z/28 that I bought some new stock sized rotors and SS brake hoses and used some blue racing DOT4 whatever its called fluid and the brake pedal feel was way better. clamping force was never a problem even with 275mm front and 315mm tires in back I could lock them up quick when I mashed the pedal hard enough until the ABS came on anyway.

modular93fox
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for everyones help. Now I just need to get my hands on a caliper so I can mock up the front brakes.

bijanmaleki
04-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a set of c5 z06 brakes if you are interested...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/DSCN0358-1.jpg

bijanmaleki
04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
And for that matter a set of 2004 pontiac GTO brakes lol.