PDA

View Full Version : What Control Arms On 2nd Gen.?????

TEDDYS CAMARO
04-29-2005, 07:49 AM
I Want To Get Control Arms For My 70 Camaro. I Was Thinking Of Going With The Heidts Arms, Because I Know A Person That Works There And I Can Get A Little Discount. I Want To Go With The Del-um Bushings And Coil Overs On The Front. Any Suggestions Deeply Appreciated. Thanks!!!!

zbugger
04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
You may also want to take a look at Global West and SpeedTech Performance. They both sell arms for second gens. Also, I think Speedway Motors and other circle track companies sell arms. The second gen has been the basis for a lot of racing equipment.

Piet
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
I am starting to sound like a PHR salesman... (Johnny or Steve... maybe a free subscription is in order :fingersx: )....
Read the current g/28 articles from Popular Hot Rodding.

They are building a "Bang for the buck" '76 Camaro G-Machine.
http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0505phr_g28/

Global West upper control arms ('70 - '81)
PST, drop spring kit (front coils, 2-inch drop; rear leaf, 1.5-inch drop)
PST, KYB shocks
PST, G-Max front swaybar kit
PST, Super Front-End kit
PST, Polygraphite leaf spring pads
PST, body mount bushings

This is what I am looking at... totally inspired me.

MikeDVC
04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Also checkout the April 2005 Super Chevy, they ran an article with the PHR's 76 Camaro with Heidt's control arms and QA1 shocks.

Marcus SC&C
05-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Don`t forget about SC&C! :attn:
We have *fully adjustable* tubular uppers for 2nd Gen F body with both greasable or HD rubber bushings for $269pr./$369pr. Go ProLite and add Red anodized 6061 T-6 adjuster sleeves for another $40set. We also offer packages with tall modular ball joints to improve the geometry. They`ve been extensively race and street tested,allow a huge range of alignment specs and do awap with alignment shims for easier adjustment and more header clearance. Marcus SC&C

Piet
05-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Also checkout the April 2005 Super Chevy, they ran an article with the PHR's 76 Camaro with Heidt's control arms and QA1 shocks.

Same Camaro...literally... they put on different suspension for Super Chevy... they are putting back on the GW's to finish the series in PHR.

How was the article?

bajatoy
05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I've got a question. Looks like the Global West arms for a 2nd gen are like $1000. A Wayne Due front clip is like $2500. That looks like it comes with all the C4 suspension, and Mustang II steering. I know its over twice as much, but wouldnt it be better cost wise to wait and go for the entire front clip? Or am I missing something? I have a 71 Firebird and am looking at getting the front end done, so if I am missing something please let me know!!

TEDDYS CAMARO
05-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALL THE PROS AND CONS ON THE WAYNE DUO AND MARTZ CHASSIS SUBFRAMES, FROM PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE THEM ON 2ND GEN. CAMAROS. I HAVE TALKED TO RICK KIRKINDALL ABOUT HIS CAMARO, AND HE LOVES IT. I JUST HAVE A SUPER MINT SUB FRAME, AND THE CAMARO BODY IS VERY SOLID, AND I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE ORIGINAL FRAME WITH AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS. I AM GOING TO DRIVE THE CAMARO EVERYWAY POSSIBLE. I WANT TO MAKE IT HANDLE, GO FAST, AND BE RELIABLE. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK? THANKS!!!!:dunno:

zbugger
05-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I've got a question. Looks like the Global West arms for a 2nd gen are like $1000. A Wayne Due front clip is like $2500. That looks like it comes with all the C4 suspension, and Mustang II steering. I know its over twice as much, but wouldnt it be better cost wise to wait and go for the entire front clip? Or am I missing something? I have a 71 Firebird and am looking at getting the front end done, so if I am missing something please let me know!!
Well, here's a little note. The upper arms are close to $600 and the lowers are close to $800. The Wayne Due chassis is just that for the $2500. That doesn't look to include any of the suspension components, although it does say it includes the sway bar and brackets. I remember adding it up a while back and it was a lot more. Personally, I think it would be more cost effective to use the GW stuff.

bajatoy
05-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Yea, now that I have looked around more I see that its just the subframe. So, now I am thinking of ordering the GW arms with the Del-a-lum bushings, a Bear brake system with dropped spindles (should I get the narrowed front end Bear brake kit?????) , new dropped body mounts and get some rubber for the 17 inch Camaro SS wheels I have! That will most likely cost what the subframe only costs. Would be nice to do a full C4 of C5 conversion, but I just dont have that kind of $$$$$
:drive2:

zbugger
05-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Narrowed front end isn't something I'd recommend. I wouldn't recommend the drop spindles either, as there can be some added issues with those too. I'd just say to get the drop with springs, and get the GW arms and stuff. Dropped body mounts also bring up steering shaft issues among other things. I'm not a fan of those either. What is your overall plan for the car anyway?

bajatoy
05-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Want a good driver, I know it wont run with a Porsche, but I want it to turn! I just want a fun car that I can take to some track days and it will be able to handle well. I'll most likely end up building a monster motor (500+ HP small block Chevy) somewhere down the road. I would also like it to sit pretty low, not body dropped mini truck low, but not stock either.

TEDDYS CAMARO
05-09-2005, 04:52 AM
I Ordered The Baer Brakes. They Come With A 2" Drop Spindle With The Brakes Already Mounted On The Spindle. I Bought The Same Brakes On My Last Project, And I Did'nt Have Any Problems. Should I Be Cocerned?