PDA

View Full Version : 90* inverted flare fittings/adapters

WS6
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm having a hard time with locating these parts. they may not even exist honestly. What I am trying to do is have a 90* invetered flare fitting coming out of the ports on my steering box. I can't bend the steel lines tight enough for my liking and I'd prefer to not just use hose as I have to go all the way over to the passenger side of the car. I'd much rather run hardline under the engine.

The downside and ultimately what I think will kill my idea is that the one fitting is 11/16-18 and normal inverted flare for a 3/8 tube is 5/8-18. Anyway, if anyone has some suggestions on a source for the fittings. I would appreciate it. I have tried Earl's, Russel, and McMaster as well as Google.

Or if anyone has a better idea for how I could run my lines at basically a 90* out of the top of the steering box so that I can keep the lines low as I go over to the engine and down under it, that would be great too.

This is all for my 79 TA too

Thanks

andrewb70
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Trey,

I am not sure what you mean by "90* flare." The older GM power steering used 45* flares, while the later fittings had o-rings. Are you talking about the o-ring style fittings?

Andrew

Twentyover
04-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Easiest way to get a quick 90 degree turn is a Banjo fitting and bolt. Don't know if ot will work in your application.

If you are talking about the 90 degrees between the sides of the flare, this is a 45 degree flare. The angle is take from the flare to the centerline of the tube

novaderrik
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
i think the question is about making a hard 90 degree turn right out of the steering box.
i like the idea of the banjo fittings, but finding an adapter to convert the flare fittings to a banjo bolt might be kind of fun..
poke around here (http://www.mcmaster.com/#), here (http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Hydraulics/ProductsbyName/Weatherhead/index.htm) , and here (http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex) and see if you can come up with anything.

AintQik
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I went to a hydraullic line shop for like big power equipt and trucks and had them make me a fitting out of parts. Both mine are 90* coming out the steering box.

rj

WS6
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Sorry for the confusion guys. I need a way to make a hard 90* turn right off the steering box if possible. I have the mastercool kit that does most excellent flares and I have the steel tubing. I just can't make a tight enough bend coming out of the steering box for my liking. I was thinking a 90* fitting, if available, would work out well. I can do almost a 180* turn and it'll look ok but I'd rather try and do it right the first time you know?

RJ, do you have pictures?

Thanks guys.

WS6
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok new question to add into this mix. I've been pointed towards banjo fittings that would fit the GM box. Do banjo fittings flow enough fluid to work in this department though? I didn't think they had a high enough flow rate. I think they would work well for me if they do flow enough. I can flare AN, JIC, or SAE or for people who can't keep up with the terms like me, I can flare 37* and 45*. So no worries there if they will work.

Thanks

andrewb70
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok new question to add into this mix. I've been pointed towards banjo fittings that would fit the GM box. Do banjo fittings flow enough fluid to work in this department though? I didn't think they had a high enough flow rate. I think they would work well for me if they do flow enough. I can flare AN, JIC, or SAE or for people who can't keep up with the terms like me, I can flare 37* and 45*. So no worries there if they will work.

Thanks

I don't think that a banjo fitting will flow enough. For power steering, you really want a true 3/8" I.D. I would just get an adapter fitting and convert the line from the steering box to a AN-6, then use a 90* fitting. I would source the hose from a local hydraulic supply company. The crimp style 90* fittings are very tidy and make for a very tight turn. Earl's makes the fittings to go into the steering box with a -6 male on the other side.

Andrew

MonzaRacer
04-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Well a brass 90 would cause some serious flow issues.

WS6
04-12-2010, 04:24 AM
I'd prefer to not use hose until I get to the other side of the engine where the pump is located. The idea is to hard line the system out of the box, under the engine, and up to behind the pump. Once behind the pump, I'll convert to rubber crimped on lines.

A brass 90* will only cause flow issues if it is a drilled 90. By that I mean they drilled in one end and then the other so it forms a corner. I was hoping to get a bent 90* of sorts. This actually doesn't cause a great pressure drop compared to the cornered 90* stuff. It's something to be careful of whenever buying fittings, you're right because it could cause issues if the wrong one is used.

The banjo fittings I have been directed to are being sold for this purpose. You'd think the company wouldn't do that if there would be an issue. However, I prefer to know instead of just blindly trust. :)

Thanks guys

novaderrik
04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd prefer to not use hose until I get to the other side of the engine where the pump is located. The idea is to hard line the system out of the box, under the engine, and up to behind the pump. Once behind the pump, I'll convert to rubber crimped on lines.

how about making it easy and just getting a pressure line for a 94-96 Caprice/Impala SS? they make a pretty tight turn out of the steering box and the PS pump is over on the other side of the engine- they use the exact same engine accessories and brackets as the Firebird you got your LT1 out of, so there is no need to try to reinvent the wheel here or out engineer the people at GM that designed the system. the layout of the chassis is very similar to a late 70's F body, and i personally think it looks better the more oem you can make your modified car look.

NAPA has the parts you need:
pressure line NPS-72505 $37.49
return line with cooler NPS-72847 $27.99
return line without cooler NPS-73330 $21.99

WS6
04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
You know I didn't realize the Bbodies used the same steering box. I'll have to look into that for sure.

Thanks for the tip.

novaderrik
04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
actually, to use the B body PS lines, you may need a later model steering box.
GM started using the newer style box in the late 70's some time- if the box you have now uses an o-ring seal on the lines and has the newer style rag joint, then the B body lines will hook right up.
if not, then find a newer steering box- 80's Monte SS, 90's Impala SS/Caprice cop car, IROC, Trans Am- etc all make good donors and should be pretty easy to find- probably cheaper and easier than finding the pieces to do what you are trying to do.