PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Chevy Sus-please No Mustang2

JRODHOTROD
04-28-2005, 08:28 PM
After trolling the board for a while, I finally decided to register.
This is my first post.

I am building a 1951 chevy styleline deluxe 2dr sedan
I picked the car up 2 months ago and have completely stripped it down. I plan in the next few weeks to remove the shell and begin blasting the frame. Upon completion I would like to begin installaion of my dana IRS. The next problem is to tackle the 55 year old front suspension. This is where I have a delima...

I have no experience with mustang/pinto suspension
After alot of research, I have come to the conclusion that this tpe of front suspension is not the best handling, but just the best "packaged"

I need other suggestions...I am willing to clip it
Track width 57" +/- .125 hub to hub

Thanks in advance
Jared

MrQuick
04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
welcome to the site and congrates for registering.
We did a 49 Chev with a 73' Camaro front end and came out very well, After that we grafted an 85 Corvette front engine/suspension cradle to a 50 Ford pick up frame, that worked out even better. In both cases put the engines in there right places.
Depends on what you can get your hands on I suppose.

JRODHOTROD
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I am a CAD designer and will draw plans before any work is done
I was wondering what kind of clearance issues arose when grafting the camaro suspension

67bird
04-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Have you considered using a first gen subframe? DSE has a car on their website, I think it is an older Oldsmobile that they put a first gen sub in with all of there goodies. Also since all you are using is just the middle section of the frame you could probably score one that the mounts are rusted out for a decent price.

MrQuick
04-28-2005, 10:52 PM
No clearance issues at all, we cut the original frame back to where the rear of the camaro frame ended it was boxed .The width was close. A new TCI firewall was made up for it.
The problems with a 1st gen subframe is geometry, as known can be better, the rear steer box location can make it difficult to get the right steering column angle and the track width may not be wide enough for some older cars.
But yes 1st gens are easy to find.

KWIKND
04-29-2005, 03:14 AM
Scott's Hot Rods can make what ever you need.
Good Luck
Dan

JRODHOTROD
04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks I Appreciate The Suggestions Please Feel Free To Add Other Feedback As All Suggestions Are Considered
What Would You Do?

BRIAN
04-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Progressive Automotive builds kits for Vette based ft and rear suspensions. Probably the most customer service oriented company out there.

MrQuick
04-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I sounded like you wanted to tackle this yourself. Me i'd do it myself, what type of experience do you have?

Piet
04-29-2005, 11:33 PM
I did a 1951 GMC half ton.. I grafted on a '77 Camaro front end.... beauty!

JRODHOTROD
04-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I sounded like you wanted to tackle this yourself. Me i'd do it myself, what type of experience do you have?

I plan to do everything myself,however I m not great with an arc welder
so I plan to have a friend who is watch and make sure I dont mess it up
I have also heard that s10 frames are very close dimensions. Would anyone suggest this.