PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma on engine/trans combo in my 69 Camaro

g356gear
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I have been looking at swapping out my stock 350hp 396 for something with a little more edge to it. I want to stick with the big block theme. I have decided on a Mark Jones forged 496 stroker....650hp and 675 ft.lbs. The dilemma is what to put behind it.

Option #1 Built TH400 to replace the existing original TH400. Would have the old muscle feel and no mods to make it work. I don't do much hwy driving so it is an option. I have 3.31 rear gears in the car.

Option #2 Built Stage 3 Keisler 4L60 with their conversion kit package. Again, minimal modifications but some work needs to be done to make it work. I am also unsure of how good the parts and modifications are that Keisler does to their stage 3 transmissions. It's a bit of an unknown. I have an upgrade list but am a little uncertain.

Option #3 Hurst Drivelines TKO-600 swap package with their Mcleod dual disc clutch and other upgrades. Due to some packaging constraints, I would need to do a custom Wilwood pedal set up with under dash master cylinder running to a an external slave cylinder on the trans. I know they make good kits and their service is excellent, its just the amount of under dash work needed to make the system work.

Option #2 and #3 around about 3K more in cost and require modifying the car much more than staying with the TH400.

Thanks for the input guys.

LateNight72
04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
There's nothing like the feeling of rowing the gears. But it boils down to personal preference here, Auto or Manual is basically how this stacks up.

Tuske427
04-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Personally, I'd go with a manual. But, that's me. As mentioned, it's what you're comfortable with.

One more option to consider is you could use a gear vendors overdrive unit behind the TH400. that would make your car a 6 speed auto, giving you the th400 strength and the ability for highway cruising should you want to.

Steve Chryssos
04-08-2010, 01:52 AM
The 4l60E platform is not long term reliable to 650/675. If you wish to have an electronic overdrive trans, start with a 4L80E. You can dig an '80 out of the dirt and it will handle 500 to 550 ft lbs of torque, so 675 is a reasonable upgrade. I think Jake's Performance is having a sale on built 4L80E's. Whatever you decide, run a billet converter. At that power level, a stamped converter won't last as long.

I like rowing gears as much as the next guy. An automatic does have benefits, like better launches and E.T.s at the drags, more power coming out of corners due to torque multiplication and two modes - manual and auto. We run one of the the baddest pro-touring car out there. An autocross champ, RTTH runner up and 9.98 E.T.s on spray. And in traffic, you just engage it automatic mode and turn your brain off.

It has a Bowler 4L80E, Compushift TCU, Twist MuscleDrive™ converter and Twist ShrifterŽ paddle shifter AND a 496 big block. That's basically all of the things that bench racers say are bad for a pro touring car and the car kicks ass.

Visit our site and pm me your phone number. I have a packed day ahead, but would like to to spend some time speaking with you.
/Steve

http://twistmachine.com/

KeislerGene
04-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Option #2 Built Stage 3 Keisler 4L60 with their conversion kit package. Again, minimal modifications but some work needs to be done to make it work. I am also unsure of how good the parts and modifications are that Keisler does to their stage 3 transmissions. It's a bit of an unknown. I have an upgrade list but am a little uncertain.

With this kit there is no modifications at all to your car.

Option #3 Hurst Drivelines TKO-600 swap package with their Mcleod dual disc clutch and other upgrades. Due to some packaging constraints, I would need to do a custom Wilwood pedal set up with under dash master cylinder running to a an external slave cylinder on the trans. I know they make good kits and their service is excellent, its just the amount of under dash work needed to make the system work.

We have this kit as well and the our hydraulic kit is a bolt in on the out side of the firewall where the pedal push rod goes through the original hole. Again no modifications other than making a hole for the shifter.

Vegas69
04-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Whatever you decide make sure it's the right decision long term. It's cheaper to do it right the first time. Personally I'd go for the manual. I just couldn't own a resto mod without a one but I'm kinda old school. Your evidentally not to worried about weight since Mark's engines have cast iron heads. The auto weighs more as well. The TKO600 is pretty light and won't eat more than 15-16% of your snort. I do agree that if your a drag racer then the auto is a good option. If you cruise around town alot, it would be really nice.

Steve1968LS2
04-08-2010, 06:44 AM
There's nothing like the feeling of rowing the gears. But it boils down to personal preference here, Auto or Manual is basically how this stacks up.

What he said..

I think you need to first decide if you want a manual or automatic trans. Once you figure out what YOU want then get either the 4L60 or the TKO600.

If you "settle" for something you're not really excited about then it will bug you. If what you want takes more work it's ultimately worth it since it will make you happier with the car.

So, it's decision time... will your left foot be busy or on vacation?

2ndgenhunter
04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
There is nothing like rowing the gears with a healthy BBC. IMO

minendrews68
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Hate to sound redundant but, I like shifting gears too in muscle cars....but it's your call.
Carl

Taylor1969
04-08-2010, 08:38 AM
My T56 mated to a 383 is the favorite thing about my car

g356gear
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Personally, I'd go with a manual. But, that's me. As mentioned, it's what you're comfortable with.

One more option to consider is you could use a gear vendors overdrive unit behind the TH400. that would make your car a 6 speed auto, giving you the th400 strength and the ability for highway cruising should you want to.

Doing a gear vendors overdrive would put me up to the same cost as the 4l60 auto or tko-600 5spd conversion kits but it would handle the power with a built TH400.

To be honest, I would love to go manual. I really miss the shifting in my 64 Vette. To go this route, I would need to invest about $500 in parts to see if I could plumb the underdash master in an efficient and clean manner before I bought a full kit and transmisson.

TT302Z28
04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I've got a T56 behind my 496 and love it! Are you in N.CA? I'll give you a ride.