PDA

View Full Version : Need radiator help with my 69

Moose
04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I found a small pin hole in the radiator. Also the car has a flex fan on it. I would like to upgrade and clean up the engine compartment some.

My question is how to do it on a budget? I was checking out the mark VIII fan, but not sure which radiator to get.

I was also thinking thr Be Cool setup thats in Summit, but honestly thats over my budget..

Any help would be greatly apprecited..

I'd like to try and get the stuff ordered this weekend..

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
04-29-2005, 03:48 AM
Mark VIII fan about $160.00
The mark VIII fan overall width and height is 21.75 wide x 19 high x 5.75 deep

You can get any radiator with around a 21" X 19" core and it should work perfect. I got my radiator for about $150.00

So for just over $300.00 you can have an incredible cooling system. Many people here love this cheaper set up.

Joe_Rocket
05-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Check out Carl's radiator swap at http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

He used the Mark VIII fan and gives the part numbers for the temp switch and the relay.

They are:

Standard Parts TS87
NTE R51-1D70-12F

I just got my Mark VIII fan and the switch for about $165 total from Rock Auto. Do a search in this forum for the Rock Auto Discount code. It may still be good for 5% off.

I got the relay for about $7.50 from here: http://www.weisd.com/store2/nterly/R51-1D70-12F.html

I haven't upgraded to an aluminum radiator yet, but that's next.

Moose
05-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I ordered my radiator today. I'm saving now for the fan setup, but I have other things I have to get done first.

Anyone have a picture with there radiator and fan mounted in the car?

Mike

Moose
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Check out Carl's radiator swap at http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

He used the Mark VIII fan and gives the part numbers for the temp switch and the relay.

They are:

Standard Parts TS87
NTE R51-1D70-12F

I just got my Mark VIII fan and the switch for about $165 total from Rock Auto. Do a search in this forum for the Rock Auto Discount code. It may still be good for 5% off.

I got the relay for about $7.50 from here: http://www.weisd.com/store2/nterly/R51-1D70-12F.html

I haven't upgraded to an aluminum radiator yet, but that's next.

Thanks for the links and part # :headbang: :icon996:

CarlC
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Beware that this switch will not work properly if mounted on the engine. Since it has a 195on/165off it will never shut off if a 180* thermostat is used. If the sensor is to be mounted in the engine likely something from a late model GM may be used but the on/off temps must be confirmed.

CAMAROBOY69
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
I just found out the other day that my temperature sending unit burnt out. (luckily I already had a manual bypass wired just in case)
My sending unit came with my old fan set up from about 2 years ago. So what I was wondering is can I just go to the local parts store and get a new temperature sending unit will I be fine? It just needs to turn on around 185*
I have a 160 thermostat currently in there.

gmachinz
05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Not meant to be a shameless plug...well, okay-maybe it is. A DC Controller will solve all those temp. switch issues. Email or PM me for details. -Jabin

CAMAROBOY69
05-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Jabin
You have a PM. Currently I am running my manual bypass switch anyway but I would be interrested in hearing about the DC Controller.

CarlC
05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Adam,

The Standard Parts TS87 has an on/off of 185*/165*. If it's mounted in your engine with a 160* thermostat it may work OK, but with tolerances built into the thermostat and switch it may be close. You might want to give it a try. Or else, find a real parts store (like NAPA) and ask to paw through their thermostatic switches catalog. There are tons of them with various NPT fittings, connections, on/off temps, etc.

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 06:05 AM
I was lucky enough to get the exact replacement kit. Something is wrong now though. I replaced the fuse, temperature sending unit an even the relay and the fan still wont kick on automatically now. It worked perfect last year for Woodward And the power tour. So for now I will just watch the temp and keep turn on the manual bypass switch when it gets warm. Kinda sucks but I am stumped.
Sorry to hyjack the thread. :slap: :wedgie:
I am sure its a wire somewhere that lost connection because it worked perfect before.

CarlC
05-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Adam,

You will need to start tracing the wiring with a voltmeter.

Start with the input to the temp switch to confirm that power is getting to it. Work your way to the relay. You will need to start the car and let it heat up and close the switch.

Confirm that the grounds and power feeds to the relay are in good condition. The ground for the fan must also be confirmed.

You can also bypass the temp switch by running a jumper wire across the terminals. If the switch is a single wire ground switch the idea is the same.

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I ran a bypass switch last year when I hooked everything up and only had to just now start using it.
My question is.
Is the temp sending unit supposed to have constant power then it grounds out when the switch turns on?? I cant remember if its supposed to be hot or ground. Seems like it should be hot. If thats the case then the wire to the relay is bad or something in that area is bad. Because when I probe that wire there isnt any power to the temperature sending unit.
Soo that temp sending unit on my intake has constant power then grounds out when it hits 180*?

CarlC
05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
If it's a one-wire sensor then the connection is to ground.

If it's a two-wire then likely the connection is between the two terminals but should be tested to be sure. Testing can easily be done with a voltmeter and a pot of boiling water.

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes it is 1 wire. So it is ground hmm I guess that seems ok then. So no power is supposed to run thru that? . How is it going to know when to turn on if its a ground? Dang that seems confusing

CAMAROBOY69
05-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Car here is a pic of my temperature sending unit with the old wire. This is a pic from the old site.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

gmachinz
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I have no info to reply with other than to say WOW-I really like how monstrous that fan looks on a 1st gen. radiator! That's just awesome! LOL

CAMAROBOY69
05-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to reply and back up the performance of the Linkon Mark VIII fan again. And also thank this site for introducing this fan to me. Even after an entire day of abuse at the Gingerman raceway on tuesday my car never ever got over 180 degreees. 160 the entire time on the track then when I parked it and shut it off it went to 180. I just left my bypass switch turned on the entire time I was on the track. Another thumbs up for my budget cooling set up thats a little over $300.00 if you include radiator and the fan. :cool:
Never had time to figure out the relay problem yet.

gmachinz
05-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, I agree-I too am sold on the Mark fan. I have not found a better fan yet. I've seen some nice dual set-ups but with all the extra wiring, less total airflow, and extra relays, who really wants one of those.... :dunno: ? Thumbs up for the Mark VIII!

Steve68
05-28-2005, 05:17 AM
It's great that we can use that big on the Camaros, but other cars like my Nova aren't so lucky, the fronts shorter, I have a fan from a Taurus, which I think is still to wideand will interfear with the water pump, but I like the R Davis radiator and fan setup. I think fot the Nova I 'm going to use a CSR electric pump, and my Taurus fan, this shouldbe good enough for the street and the track,

gmachinz
05-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Steve, I really overlooked the tight quarters in the Novas-you're right. I know about the Taurus fans, I just meant by my post that the dual fans just have two of everything, more wiring=more possible problems imo, that's all. Shroud design becomes critical when space is at a minimum. -Jabin

Steve68
05-31-2005, 03:01 AM
J- I like both set ups, both designs work great, it's too bad the Nova's so tight, Do you know if the Taurus fan is a 2 speed?

gmachinz
05-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Yes, I believe they are. I think Tim uses the Taurus fans on their road race cars without any problems. -Jabin

Steve68
05-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Cool, now I need to get a 3 position switch, cool that BB down real quick in the lanes or traffic... Steve