PDA

View Full Version : bbc 454 upgrades

prostreet71camaro
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
ive got a '78 2bolt 454 and wanted advise on what to do first ? stroker kit 496? or ali head package? or bite the bullit and get both funds allowing but what make stroker kit? cast or forged crank? what heads?
ive got about $5k plus shipping costs as im in the u.k
engine gonna be street and strip use in tube chassis camaro with th400 box and strange equipped 9" rear end.
thanks for any help / advise

6'9"Witha69
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Adding cubes without adequate airflow would be a waste of money, so I ask what heads do you have now, stck '78 oval port castings? If so, you'd have money better spent on heads. For the Money, Good Al heads, a roller cam conversion, intake, carb and ignition system would spend the money quick enough, and if later you wanted more power, you can stroke it and actually take advantage of the extra cubes.

LSx_88_Ciera
04-05-2010, 09:42 AM
It depends on your goals.
How much HP?
NA, NO2, Boost?

prostreet71camaro
04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
i want as much hp for money spent as possible.
my goal is too run with 150hp nitrous on strip but will be driven on the street too, would like 650hp n/a 800hp on gas

THE TECH
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I think you're gonna need a bigger budget.

MonzaRacer
05-01-2011, 02:04 AM
As for me I know that the later peanut port bbc heads will make 600+ na. do not run N2O, if I had my druthers I would use steel GM crank, good rod bolts in either stock rods or h beams from ebay.
ARP studs all around, ebay has some reasonable aluminum heads for bbc. You dont need a lot to run hard with a turbo.
Build a forged bottom end, use a wideband in exhaust and keep it in the 10.8 to 11.5 AFR under load/boost. You can go lurn on theturboforums.com, talk to Brent Davis about a crutch carb mod.
Turbos are all compressive loads, over on turbo forums look up "the grenade" it will take a week or two to get through but Marty tuned a used up 150k miles cast crank/cast piston 355 sbc to make over 600hp and 600lb ft of torque AND his 90s GTA firebird ran 9's in quarter mile,,no cutting in back and he used 3.00 gears.
Properly tuned, and pulling timing out under boost will keep it alive a long time.
I am putting a 77 454 from a Winnebago in my 84 Caprice, even thinking of throwing 5 or 6 psi at this 47k mile stocker then may build my little 402 bbc for bigger boost.
My Monza is gonna get a modded LT1 intake on old school 302 chevy with 6 in rods!
Cheap single or twin turbo would be cool and if you get up to speed over on forums, you can tune on the cheap.
Also any questions you have, give me a shout, Ill help all I can.