PDA

View Full Version : Programmable 6al2

Supervette
04-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I have been reading a lot of threads about this ignition system. Does anyone know what kind of power limitations this box has? I got off the phone with the msd tech and found out I was running the lowest coil (pro blaster 2) with the digital 6 box that you can run. So if I go the 6al2 route I will go with coil 8253 which is five steps stronger. I defintily like that I can build a curve into my car with the boost map sensor. Will it sustain 750 to 850 hp @ 17psi. Maybe later be able to handle a small shot of nitrous like 75hp. Please let me know what your feed back has been with this box. Also examples of timing graphs would be cool as well. I don't want to keep switching out boxes and find out that I really needed to go to the 7.

Thanks

shmoov69
04-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I love mine. I shouldve got one 10 years ago when I did the turbos on the Camaro!
I don't know about the power limitations and such, because I am still running the Mallory Promaster coil And Comp 9000 I have had since '90 or so! Lol. And my tuning experience was with boost had always been just locking the timing at 25*!
but it seems to be a great box!

Supervette
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I ordered it with the map sensor 6530. can't wait til it arrives. Stay tuned, because I may need help putting a curve in this bad boy. Im also going to get a new o2 sensor for my wide band and tune her out. :smoke:

Supervette
04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
confusion has set in. Here are the two ways I think this works.

Is the boost retard used in conjuction with the run retard? for example Is it possible to have the run retard set up to be my initial timing for under hard load where it pulls all timing out and works it back in to be all in at 2500 rpms. Then does it look at the boost retard graph and pull timing out based on boost pressure as a secondary function once above 2psi now that we have curved in the timing under load? How has everyone else programmed in their curve for stoplight to stoplight. I'm tired of having my timing locked at 30 degrees.
I can't mash the throttle unless im at least 2500 rpms because I have no curve. I have ordered this 6530 I just hope it does what I think it does!:idea:

shmoov69
04-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm not understanding your question fully, mainly cause I'm stoopid! Lol
the timing is set up on mine at like 15* initial. The box puts in 30*. It retards and adds from there. I think, it has been a year since I done it! Lol

yes, it sounds like it will do what you are wanting it to.

Supervette
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I talked with MSD tech today and they confirmed that the run retard graph is your initial timing that ramps to your total timing lets say at 2500 rpms. then your boost retard graph is how much timing will be taken out according to boost. He did say that these two graphs can overlap depending upon how much boost you make at lower rpms. this is what I hoped it would do. For other people in other posts that I have read is that this system does not know how much load is on the engine so the curve off idel to all in is not load sensitive it acts like a centrifigal advance. so when you are all in your advance is programmed in from my understanding and the load part could be retarded out by the boost retard curve. that is what I was trying to say.

shmoov69
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, the curve is RPM controlled and not load controlled, but the retard can be done by pressure to help. On mine, I just went out driving on all different roads and loads to try to get the thing to stay out of detonation. It is awesome now that I have timing out of the hole and immediately! It is a bit harder to "feather" the pedal now tho! Lol

Supervette
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
This sounds dumb but how do you know when you are detonating. Is that pretty much when you hear hear the engine sneezing? I think Ive had sneezing before trying to punch the throttle at to low of rpm with locked out timing. Its a good thing I have forged internals and that I backed out of it right away!

My friend loaned me a msd dashhawk I have been running in my 07 Silverado and I have been monitoring the timing. Under light loads 3500 and above rpms it will go into the low 50s for advance. Lets say I want to set my locked out timing at 40 to simulate a vacuum advance. and pull it out faster right away then slower as the boost gets higher. Back down to 30 total @ 12psi. Is this map sensor quick enough to pull timing where I wont detonate such as the GM fuel injection system does? Its to bad we can only retard 25 degrees and not 30 or 35 even! Maybe the processor is not fast enough to handle this much retard @ once. Might be able to simiulate an even better vacuum advance but maybe not because it doesn't sense load but RPM's. IDK:idea:

Just thinking out load here. The cost associated with sensing load may take away the attractive price that the MSD 6530 offers!

Supervette
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
i was also thinking..... I have an innovate wide band with datalogging capability to the laptop. I should be able to input the map sensor 0 to 5vdc into the datalogger for boost and vacuum signals??? I wonder if it can output that nice timing info to the innovate system?? Then I would have boost, rpm, A/F, and timing! Has anyone done this yet with this box?

online170
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
i was also thinking..... I have an innovate wide band with datalogging capability to the laptop. I should be able to input the map sensor 0 to 5vdc into the datalogger for boost and vacuum signals??? I wonder if it can output that nice timing info to the innovate system?? Then I would have boost, rpm, A/F, and timing! Has anyone done this yet with this box?

A buddy of mine is planning to use those two things (innovate datalogger and MSD 6AL2) this summer on a N/A big cammed olds 455. It sounds promising but i havent used any of it yet.

As far as i know, i dont think you can use output/input like youre suggesting.

Supervette
04-10-2010, 05:26 AM
I installed it last night with a 3 bar map sensor. well see how the tuning goes today. It doesn't appear you can run the map sensor to the innovate or really get any datalogging out of the msd box. So your right, wishful thinking I guess. I did do a test fire last night and I did notice it starts way easier than it use to with 20 degrees pulled out on start up. These are really a snap to install. I like the new connectors they have on these boxes. Lucky me I pulled out an old laptop I have been saving since my college days that has a 9 pin connector other wise you need the usb to 9 pin serial connector.

Supervette
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The tuning went well on Saturday and Sunday. This engine drives so nice now. Once I was able to build a curve tailored to a supercharged engine. I have a higher initial timing due to low static compression ratios because no boost is being made at start up. so my initial was cranked to 20 degrees and brought all in by 2600 rpms. simulated vacuum advance as well. Im very happy with this box. Thank you MSD! anyone running locked out timing with a blower should get this box!

online170
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
what do you mean by "simulated vacuum advance"?

mnm99
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
what do you mean by "simulated vacuum advance"?

You lock out the dist high , say at 50* and use the MAP as a vac advance. A little hard to explain.