PDA

View Full Version : malibu grille and bumpers

64malibu
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
what do I have to do to paint my bumpers and grille and head light trim?

94SNGLTURBO
04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
sand them down some primer and paint.. it wont last that long on the front with rock chips.

Dstoltenberg
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Are you looking to refinish the chrome or paint over it?
Paint over the chrome can be a PITA, I definetly wouldn't reccomend a beginner painter painting something like that, you'd be much better off taking them to a body shop.

64malibu
04-01-2010, 07:25 PM
hopefully paint over them

MCMLXIX
04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
powdercoat will last longer then paint...

Dstoltenberg
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
If you have the means powdercoating will definitely last longer. Chromium is very hard, and paint and primer don't like to stick to it.
But if you have to-
-Clean the chrome parts thoroughly with wax & grease remover.
-My book reccomends using #320 to thoroughly sand the metal. I'd start with 220, your going to want to get rid of ALL the chrome surface, down to the nickel. Finish with 320.
-Clean it again with wax and grease remover, and don't touch it with your bare skin. Your going to want to keep it very clean.
- Apply either a metal conditioner or self-etching primer.
-Apply two coats of primer-surfacer, making sure to allow enough drying time before sanding, and tacking it off with a tack cloth between coats.
-After sanding the surfacer with #400 grit paper, your ready to apply your topcoats.

I still reccomend taking the parts to a local reputable body shop. The money you spend will be worth it if you don't have access to the proper spray guns, tools, equipment, paint booth, and experience, a body shop will have.

derekf
04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Grill and headlamp surrounds should be aluminum; I'd just scuff, prime, and paint (although I've seen some of the folks with 65s doing the SS blackout thing just use Krylon spray black - would definitely be easier to touch up that way)

64malibu
04-02-2010, 05:36 AM
yea all that is aluminum so just take it to get powdercoated

86Cutlass383SR
04-03-2010, 01:33 AM
To get a good base for the bumpers, you can strip the chrome with muriatic acid which is swimming pool cleaner. In the sunlight, chrome will have a very slight blue tint to it. When the chrome is stripped off, the nickel (which is the silver color you actully see) will have a slight yellow tint to it.

The nickel is a better base to paint on than the chrome. I'm not sure of the results would be sanding the chrome. I'm not a painter, I did work in a chrome shop for a few years. If you live close to a chrome shop, they shouldn't charge much to strip the chrome for you. Lot less messy but you can do this at home if need be.

The grille and headlight trim are polished and then clear anodized aluminum and can either be stripped with oven cleaner or just sanded real good.

64malibu
04-04-2010, 04:51 AM
alright thanks so what do I use to get it off with the cleaner just some scotch pad?

86Cutlass383SR
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
If you're talking about using the oven cleaner on the aluminum, just lay them out on a piece of plastic (gotta be EPA friendly...) out of direct sunlight. Spray the cleaner on and watch it work... give it a few minutes and scrub with scotch brite pads. Be sure to wear rubber gloves, this stuff has some wicked fumes. It may take a few applications but it will dissolve the anodizing. After the anodizing is removed, just polish or prep for paint.

dhutton
04-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Rick on MuscleCar used this to paint some chrome wheels. He says it works very well, used it on a bumper years ago and no chips:

http://www.handsontools.com/House-of-Kolor-AP01-ADHERTO-Plastic-amp-Metal-Adhesion-Promoter-quart_p_11147.html

LSXfan
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
post pics when you're done

64malibu
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
ok thanks

64malibu
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
so what is the best paint to use just semi flat krylon?