PDA

View Full Version : Ride-along request in autocross Camaro

j-rho
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Hello,
I'm a die-hard SCCA autocrosser, interested in building a first-gen Camaro for National autocross competition.

I was wondering if I showed up on Saturday, would I maybe be able to bum a ride (as a passenger of course) around the autocross in one of the fast Camaros? I'd like to get a feel for how the cars work around the cones before I make the plunge, and I never see any, especially any good ones, at our SCCA events. I've set up a few championship-winning cars, so in return, I may be able to provide the owner some setup suggestions to make their car even faster.

Many thanks in advance!

The WidowMaker
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
ummmm..... can i second that???

rrunner68
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Seeing the competitive nature of the event and time restrictions, there probably won't be much time for that. The good guys del mar event will have plenty of time for goofing around.

mpozzi
03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, this event doesn't allow for spectators but if you PM Yancy Johns volunteering to work a bit, he might be able to get you included on the list. The gate people will have names of those that can get into the event (workers and entrants).

I feel your pain about quality Camaros being competitive in their respective SCCA Solo divisions but there are a few good ones out there that can get it done. Decide which class and category you want to prepare for and then go for it.

The cars that will be competing at RTTC wouldn't be a threat to any of the good ESP, SM, or CP cars as we've got to run 200 treadwear tires. We will have some great cars that can hold their own in both autocross and the track portion of the event. If the passenger seat is vacant for my car, you're more than welcome to ride along if rules allow.

The Good Guys autocrosses are very short and small. I've run them and it's first gear all the way. Inches and precise driving lines matter here ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

ProdigyCustoms
03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
No spectators?

ProdigyCustoms
03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, I just re read the rules.

Looks like if you show up betwen 6:30 and 7:30 you can spectate

EL TORO RTTC- Itenerary Saturday, April 3

Registration 6:00-6:45 a.m.

Tech 6:45-7:15 a.m.

Rules/overview 7:15-8:00 a.m.

challenge begins 8:00 a.m.-over

*participant/volunteers/car show participants/fans/spectators-must be at registration.

*if your not on these lists or do not show up between 6:00am-7:30am you will not be permitted to enter the event. This is not an open event. El Toro/City of Irvine rules.

bret
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Hello,
I'm a die-hard SCCA autocrosser, interested in building a first-gen Camaro for National autocross competition.

I was wondering if I showed up on Saturday, would I maybe be able to bum a ride (as a passenger of course) around the autocross in one of the fast Camaros? I'd like to get a feel for how the cars work around the cones before I make the plunge, and I never see any, especially any good ones, at our SCCA events. I've set up a few championship-winning cars, so in return, I may be able to provide the owner some setup suggestions to make their car even faster.

Many thanks in advance!

If you can get on the grounds...look up Jimi Day in the RideTech Velocity Camaro. Jimi is a good driver and the Camaro seems to run about as good as any. Tell Jimi I sent you.

j-rho
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks Bret, I'll see if I can find him. I plan to bring my DL1 and will try to get some data from the ride-alongs, if anyone will let me. :)

bosses son
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
your more than welcome to ride in our 57 chevy wagon, maybe i can turn you to the dark side....