PDA

View Full Version : Trick new fuel pump, what do you guys think?

streetk14
04-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I just got a new issue of Car Craft in the mail, and read their plug for a new high-flow mechanical fuel pump. It is supposed to put out 60psi & flow 200 gph. It's like nothing I've ever seen, and I'd be interested in getting one when I do my blow-through procharger. Their site is www.racepumps.com . I'd like to hear some opinons.
-Andy

MarkM66
04-28-2005, 06:18 AM
I wonder how many ghp it'll flow, after you adjust it down to a usable 6 psi, for your carb?

streetk14
04-29-2005, 07:55 PM
I don't know, but from what I've read it will flow plenty. It is supposed to be compatible with either fuel injection or a carb. I am very intersted in this pump for my new motor. It seems like a good alternative to the noisy electric pumps that are needed to feed a serious forced-induction engine. It also seems like a more reliable setup than an electric pump.

Jim Nilsen
04-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Piston pumps are more precise in there flow but they are not more dependable than diaphram pumps from my experience with pumping any fluid.

If the piston is made of materials and has seals that will last longer than the diaphram you might have something. I haven't seen it yet but things are changing these days with the materials that are making things possible that weren't just a few years ago.

I really like the space savings of that pump and if it doesn't start to leak prematurely it will be better for many reasons.

With a pump like that you could put a return line back to the tank and use a regulator right before the carb of of a tee and never run out of fuel if you run it at 200 GPH and 60 psi. It's just a thought...might not work for a carb but it should.

Jim Nilsen

Steve Chryssos
05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I've seen it in person. Quality is unreal. Howard Stewart has demonstrated it for me. Self adjusting valve is trick. Go to the website and watch the demo. You kinda gotta stare at the demo for a while to understand the self adjusting concept. Study the left end of the reciprocating parts. Leaking and wear are not a problem as it is fully rebuildable. Flow is 200gph. Pressure is 50 or 60 max.
I run a mechanical pump for safety reasons. If I end up on my roof and knocked out, there is less chance of pump run-on than with an electric pump.

streetk14
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm with you on the safety thing, Steve. I also like the simplicity of a mechanical pump. It does look like a very high quality piece, and looks great. I think it's going on my list of stuff I need.