PDA

View Full Version : Accel DFI - Dual Synch Distributor Failure

69dragracer
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Looking for some advice/options on my distributor failure. I have a Thruster EFI setup on SB chevy with Accel dual synch distributor. My engine died while driving, and after some checks I noticed the LEDS on the distributor board were not lighting up. Pulled the distributor and lifted the circuit board to find one of the pickups was completed torn apart. Found the magnet, several pieces of the plastic holder, and the clip that attached the assembly. I also found my rotor phasing adjustment screws were loose, rotor could be moved easily by hand. All parts have about 150 miles on them, and the only thing I have touched on the distributor was the rotor phasing and even double checked that the screws were tight after making the adjustment (maybe I should have used loctite on them).

So not sure why the pickup ended up in pieces and the rotor adjustment was loose. The clip holding the pickup assembly is not broken, just appears that the retention force was low or it was not set fully when built.

Anybody seen this before? Should I repair the distributor and stick with the accel dual synch or go to a different setup for the crank & cam pickups? What are my other options.

Thanks,

Jim Nilsen
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Hopefully you are still under warranty so you can just get it replaced.

There are a couple of threads that have more info on dual syncs.

Di you have allen,phillips or torx screws on the rotor? my 1st ones were phillips heads and when they redid it they put torx in.

If you can go to a crank and cam pickup set that is different it surely will be better from what I have been told.

I am still sceptical of mine still.

Goodluck wtih it.

MonzaRacer
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Heck last car I set up we simply had an old "MSD" style and added a tdc sensor 180 off of the ignition pick up. Since car used a 0 degree start it posed no problem.

Jim Nilsen
04-07-2010, 05:12 AM
I have my car running pretty god now and no problems with the dual sync it seems. when I sent mine back to Accel they shimmed it .100 which seemed like a lot. You may have had one that was loose and somehow raised up and wiped it out.

The dual syncs do seem to work if you have a good one but if you can go with a seperate cam and crank trigger, do it.

69dragracer
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.

After talking to Accel, I sent it back to them last week and they adjusted the end play and replaced the circuit board & pickups. Appears the intial end play from the factory was too loose.

I put it back in the car today but now it has no crank signal output. Cam signal & LED is working, but the crank signal & LED is not working. Checked voltage at the circuit board and it has voltage to the crank pickup, but no signal output.

Looks like I will be calling Accel back on Monday.

Jim Nilsen
04-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the replies.

After talking to Accel, I sent it back to them last week and they adjusted the end play and replaced the circuit board & pickups. Appears the intial end play from the factory was too loose.

I put it back in the car today but now it has no crank signal output. Cam signal & LED is working, but the crank signal & LED is not working. Checked voltage at the circuit board and it has voltage to the crank pickup, but no signal output.

Looks like I will be calling Accel back on Monday.

Check to make sure the +- wires to the plug are correct, mine were backwards on both the cam and crank. You can follow the schematic they have in the help section of the program.

Goodluck and I feel your pain. They are better now than they were a year ago about helping so stay on it and it will take less time but it seems like forever when you want to start your car.

all wired
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I remember reading about the pins being installed backwards on the connector and caused it to have programming issues, I'll see if i still have it in my notes.

I also hear that the problem you experienced is common for the accel distributors, just not sure why