PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gadget!

Matt@RFR
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey guys. You know the "poppers" for use with electric door openers and trunk openers?

I need to find an actuator like that for 12V, but that's completely self contained. I'm not even sure there's anything like what I'm looking for, but said unit would:

Latch assembly with a push

pop assembly open when a pushbutton switch is triggered.

Any help? Any other ways to go about this? Any catologs to look at that would have a wide variety of stuff like this? (along the lines of Reid tool, MSC, J&L, etc. but for the electric industry)

EDIT: What about an electrically operated latch, and I can build a spring setup to load against the latch?

third base
04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Not sure what exactly your looking for, an actuator? What are you trying to do?

68protouring454
04-27-2005, 08:04 PM
i bet an actuator for making a manual door lock car, power lock , unlock would be perfect, i have one or two sitting on my shelf, i was gonna use in an old chevy to make it push button lock/unlock, how far does the throw have to be?
jake

Matt@RFR
04-27-2005, 08:05 PM
ok, this is for the open car trailer I'm building. The ramps will ride on rails via rollers (think railroad track/car), and what I want to do is roll the ramp into the trailer (underneath, ofcourse) on it's rails, give a nudge and lock it into place, against spring pressure. Then, when I want to roll the ramps out, I either push a button or pull a lever to release the latches, and the ramps spring out from underneath the trailer. Make sense?

What I'm really hoping for is to have one pushbutton in the (lockable) integrall tool box to push, and voila, the ramps are loose. I saw some electronic latches online, but they were for cabinet doors (alittle light duty for my taste), and very expensive.

So, yeah, either a spring loaded actuator or better electric latches, or both?? I'm not opposed to using hardware store springs and used car door latches, but I'm starting at the top and working my way down. :)

The attached model view is looking from the front, towards the back, and the rails for the ramps aren't in yet.

MrQuick
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey Matt,
I think having an electric actuated latch maybe a safety no no,can't imagine what might happen if it let loose at speed.
If you have a U-haul dealer around you go check out the ramp latches that it utilizes on there car carriers, it also has the type of ramps you describe. The latch is spring loaded with lock being the pressure side.

Matt@RFR
04-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I was trying to figure out a failsafe for the electric stuff when you posted, Vince. I'm sure the CHP would appreciate knowing that my 26' long trailer won't all of a sudden become a 35' trailer. :bananna2:

Speaking of banannas, I think I'll just run some door latches and a cable release. Maybe put a tension spring on the cable as a fail safe.

Thanks dudes. (Dudette in Jake's case) :wedgie:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6722

68protouring454
04-28-2005, 04:03 PM
do you want to go there?????????
i don't think so
jake

Matt@RFR
04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
You like it and you know it.

68protouring454
04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
where can i send that pin and hat i have for you??? please send mailing address over to me for prompt shipping
:spank2:
jake

Matt@RFR
04-28-2005, 05:49 PM
You can give them to me when I fly out there and steal your new paint booth. Oh, and I'm taking all your copper air line too. Scrap prices, you know. :)

68protouring454
04-29-2005, 04:36 AM
lmmfao, too much, are you going cable style ?? don't give up that quick
jake

Matt@RFR
04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, door latches and cable releases me thinks. That'll be fine. Just not as over-the-top as I like to do things. :)

68protouring454
04-29-2005, 03:53 PM
you are over the top
jake

yody
05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
get a room!

Jim Nilsen
05-07-2005, 12:04 PM
I have hauled things more awkward than you can imagine over the years and learned how to do it safely without ever losing a load. The only way to acheive it completely is to carefully inspect,secure and latch everything tight. Right down to tieing down and wiring up binders that could open up if a load shifts. Visual is an absolute must.

The lesson I have is about my brother who always took the easy way out to secure his ladders after I started working on my own. I always insisted on at least one rope or chain to add to the saftey. He insisted that rubber tie down straps were more than safe and you didn't need to go to all the extra trouble. I always put the rope on anyway.

One night on his way back traveling the interstate in gusty winds and rain at 70mph the rubber straps broke and ladders were all over the highway and 3 cars were damaged and fortunatley the ladders didn't enter the cars behind him. It wasn't good and no one was hurt but the insurance companies and some wallets. One rope or nylon ratchet strap would have prevented it all.

Two simple pins and retainers will work the best and the time it takes to inspect them to make sure they are safe and secure is a lot less than a more complicated system, and since you need to check tires ,lights and the hitch you will find the ramp latches are the easy part since you made them so easy to move.

Keep it simple ,keep it safe

Jim Nilsen