PDA

View Full Version : 2 JL audio sub location in 65 GTO

crustysack
03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I am building a 65 GTO with 06 GTO seats front and back- the rear seats have enough room between them to mount 2 10" subs vertically ( where the seat backs are) I am looking for some feedback. I could just build a box and stick it in the trunk, or make a custom enclosure with the subs firing into the passenger compartment. I am leaning towards the latter but would like to hear from folks that have done it one way or the other and how they liked their setup- also would like to see pics of any subs facing into passenger area
thanks

PT Sportwagon
03-20-2010, 09:28 PM
So your looking to have the subs look like they do in the Vipers, between the rear seats? I have seen them done and if done right would look great. With a contrasting or color matching, and nice fiberglass work.

Tim

73X
03-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I like the idea of the vertical mount between the seats. Will eliminate a lot of sound loss and unwanted vibrations from the trunk. Just build the enclosure to fit up against the rear seat divider panel and fiberglass the front to the desired shape. May involve cutting out the rear seat divider but would definitely be worth it in the end.

crustysack
03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the response - definitely will go with the vertical between the seats, I like the feel of the bass in the cabin, and DONT like the trunk rattle. will post pics when I get it done

SamHatco
03-21-2010, 05:31 PM
here is my post on this very same project. Maybe this will help

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=648951&postcount=390

Sam

crustysack
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
very nicely done Sam thanks for the link, is the grill on the top part open so the bass comes thru there or is that just for looks??

SamHatco
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
very nicely done Sam thanks for the link, is the grill on the top part open so the bass comes thru there or is that just for looks??

It's just for looks. It parrots the old speakers in the center of the early Impalas and such. With 2 8" subs there is more than plenty bass throughout the car. If you have room for a pair of tens there won't be any problem hearing them. Hope this helps.

Sam

PT Goat
03-23-2010, 05:45 AM
We've got almost identical setups. The problem with installing 2 10s between the seats is that you'll probably end up hacking up the structure behind the seatbacks, which you may or may not want to jump into.

I ended up building a box/amp rack for a single 12" Image Dynamics DVC and two amps that is the same size as the upper trunk area beneath the package tray. That area isn't really useful for much else anyway. I run a stock package tray for a GTO with rear speaker and the sub fires up through that. I did the whole box/rack in factory trunk spatter and its not so in-your-face when you pop the trunk. Came out pretty nice for my first box.

crustysack
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
do you have any pics installed?? are you also running 06 rear seats
I am going to use the upper trunk area to "float" mount the amps and the cross overs for the components,and if I have to cut the cross piece out I can just weld a brace in

MonzaRacer
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
OK so if you still have trunk wall separator just mount them facing forward, free air, use ply wood or particle board to mount them.
Get inductor coils to run with you speaker ohm rating, 4ohms figure in the 6.4 to 7.0 Mh range inductor coils, wire into coil with positive, then out to speaker positive, 2 ohm speakers will need 2 wired inline as in plus to coil, to coil to speaker plus, this will limit the high frequencies to the speaker, with a box you get more low end chrome rattle , using the complete trunk as a box it will make bass little less sharp/low and let it build good feel.
oh and dont use an amp rated at more than 80 to 90 % RMS Ohm rating of speakers and you will rarely ever hurt them.
I hardly ever use boxes anymore, thats for WalMart builders in my book unless your going for specific performance numbers for competition.

crustysack
04-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I will be running a separate sub amp on its own channel so i doubt I'll need the inductor coils since only 80 Hz and lower signal will be going to the amp. I dont really want to mount them behind the rear seat because that will kill so much sound- I know sub frequency is non directional but if is pushing the air in the passenger compartment it sounds so much better than just rattling the trunk. So it will be a custom enclosure between the rear buckets, 2 JL audio 10's stacked vertically. I am also running 4 sets of infinity reference series component speakers with a 4 channel infinity amp