PDA

View Full Version : biggest brakes for 18" wheels?

novaderrik
03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
trying to help my cousin put together a brake system for his 69 Camaro. he wants to run 18" wheels on the front and 20" on the rear for some reason. i tried to talk him into 18's all around just to make things simpler and make it not look like a Hotwheels car, but it's his car and his money.. he wants the front wheels to be filled with brake rotor.
he wants calipers that say "Corvette" on them, too. this is important to him.
what i've come up with on the Kore3 website is the 14" front C5/C6 hybrid setup. will that setup play nicely with 18" wheels? if not, the 13" setup is an option, but he wants the biggest he can get.

JustinB
03-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Based of the templates I would say the the largest front kit that would fit on a 18" soft lip would be the 340mm C6 Z51 kit Tobin offers. You will need a wheel with a .75" pad the clear the caliper. An 18" step lip would clear the the larger 355mm kit. It is going to boil down to the wheel you guys end up running.

novaderrik
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
that's what i thought- but he's not going to order the wheels until he has the brakes on so he can measure. i should ask him what wheels he's looking at and see if maybe anyone out there has used the same setup as him.

ProdigyCustoms
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
If he wants them to say "CORVETTE" and fill them up then he wants C6 ZO6 brakes. We have multiple wheels in 18" that will clear those brakes, do it all the time. but he is going to need a wheel with a real high pad and spoke bend.

Find out what wheels he wants, then we can tell him what wheels will work, LOL!

novaderrik
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
when he started this project three years ago, he was lusting after TT2's, but i don't know what wheels he's after these days.

JustinB
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Before I would go buy a set of C6 Z06 brakes make sure to talk to someone who builds the wheels. They will require a 1.75" pad. If that is the way you are looking to go, a custom high end billet wheel is a must. I do not like telling guys that a Z06 brake will clear 18 without explaining what is needed to make them work. We take care of a lot of referrals from Tobin and are very familiar with the product line.

ProdigyCustoms
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
when he started this project three years ago, he was lusting after TT2's, but i don't know what wheels he's after these days.

Ahh, those won't fit!

Apogee
03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
TTII's...argh! Run away, run away.

Justin pretty much hit the nail on the head. Soft lip versus stepped lip can and will make a difference with respect to brake fitment. The C6 Z51 kits do a great job and fill an 18" wheel nicely with the 340mm [13.4"] rotor and 2-piston calipers.

Since TTII's were on the want list before, I doubt higher-end 2/3-piece wheels are in the budget now, but if they are, that would be an excellent means to clear the massive C6 Z06 6/4-piston PBR calipers and they'll certainly fill an 18.

Justin just posted some sweet pics of a matte NewGen Thrasher (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66459) that still have that retro TTII appeal without looking like a commodity IMHO.

Tobin
KORE3

novaderrik
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
i talked to him last night, and he doesn't really know what wheels he wants, but he's gonna hold off on the bigger brakes for now and just run the stock front discs and old school 15" torque thrusts for the time being. i told him about the C6 Z51 brakes at kore3, and he seems to think that might be the way to go when the time comes. i told him to give Tobin a call and discuss it with someone who actually has experience in this area.. don't be surprised if you get a call from a guy in MN named Adam that asks a whole lot of questions- sometimes asking new questions before you answer the old questions...

JRouche
03-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Justin pretty much hit the nail on the head. Soft lip versus stepped lip can and will make a difference with respect to brake fitment.

BIG time. I have soft lipped BS wheels and they wont clear some of the aftermarket calipers due to the placement of the rib on the hoop.

Rims have an inside "rib" or extended part of the hoop. Its prominent on standard rims. Its part of the lip you see. It is part of the step you see on wheels from the outside.

On a smooth lip wheel they place the step further inside the hoop. So you dont see it from the outside. But the step is still there, and further inside towards the centerline of the wheel. Because its so much further in it can interfere with some brake calipers.

Thats where a caliper like wilwood helps. A wilwood caliper is not as tall as some of the other aftermarket calipers. JR