PDA

View Full Version : M/C question

73X
03-15-2010, 04:00 AM
I have a 73 Nova that I'm putting together a brake system for. It is a factory power disc/drum car and still has that system in place. I also have a complete donor 96 Formula that I will be using the rear discs and anything else that will work from. I plan to use the new Wilwood D52 replacement calipers for the front. Just wondering about what M/C to use. The stock Nova M/C or the Formula M/C or is there another one out there I need to buy? Also, what booster is compatible with the needed M/C?
Thanks,

73X
03-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, I guess I asked the wrong question on the last post so I'll try again. How can I come up with the needed master cylinder bore size by knowing the piston sizes of the calipers? I've seen a lot of references to this but is there an exact science to get the optimal brake pressure that makes a system operate properly? I know that the size changes some with or without vaccuum assist. But what's the science on that? I'm trying to learn more about this so I can make a final decision on what brakes to run on my car.

a67
03-28-2010, 05:26 AM
For the science behind braking go here:

www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

It is just piston area ratios, brake pedal leverage, disc diameter leverage arm length, and assist pressure.

IIRC, they also have some charts for quick comparisons of different bore area ratios. Best bet is to create an Excel SS with the formulas they present. Then plug in different caliper bore sizes and M/C sizes and rotor diameters and see what they produce.

Can start with stock systems to see what GM used. Just to get a feel for the numbers.

For rotor diameter and caliper selection, the wheel size/shape is the limiting factor. This is the first item to take into account when choosing brake parts.

For an idea of M/C, disc, assist ratios: a '69 Camaro with single piston D52 calipers and an 11" booster used a M/C with a bore of 1-1/8".

On my '67 running the D52 calipers with 11" x 1" rotors, 11" booster and a 1" bore M/C, this too works out well. Part of the reason the smaller M/C works on this car is the low vacuum the engine produces. About 12.5" Hg at idle. So the smaller bore makes up for the lower assist.

Bob.