PDA

View Full Version : Need some Gen 1 measuements

johnny rockett
03-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 67 Camaro and its almost finished and I was measuring from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip and was wondering what it should be with some kind of tire dia.

My Camaro is about 28.625 to the lower lip to the ground with a 28 inch tall tire..

I am putting some 18 inch rims on with a tire around 26.5 in dia and was wondering what the typical ground to fender lip measurment might be with that tire/wheel combo?

The issue is I have a 3.5 exhaust that goes all the way back and it can get real close above the axle. I figure I can get within two inchs and a tight shock does not move much.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Nilsen
03-14-2010, 08:14 AM
The problem with going to smaller dia tires is you will want to lower the car to make the wheelwell look right which means you continue to lose ground clearance. It is a compounding problem for all of us.

Lowering a car and then putting larger dia wheels on it fills up the wheelwells and still leaves you good clearance.

My car is about 27.5 to the spot you are referring to and I have a 26 in. tire. I am able to go lower because of the mods to the car. If the vette suspension will keep sinking to the stock postition I will be golden but it seems to want to stay up a bit and the car weighs about the same as a vette.

You have to be the one who decides how much clearance you need. 4 in. is usually the lowest you really want for clearance to clear debris in the road. If you really want lower Airide is the way to go so you can raise the car for the places you need clearance.

johnny rockett
03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much for the measurements.
I have had several of these cars that span more than thirty years...always had either a 28 inch or 30 inch tall tire , 15 rim drag stuff.
This is my first attempt at the "world of pro toruring" with a camaro.

I have some 18 rims coming and am trying to figure how low I can go. Its an exhaust clearance issue as well as I have 3.5 pipes routed all the way out the back in the stock location so its going to close up in a hurry.

But the 27.5 is a real good reference for me since I had no idea how low you guys are getting these cars.

Thanks again

johnny rockett
03-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Whee is the 4 inch clearance measured from?